G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a future plan that may anger some purist

+8
Roadcaptain S3
pila
JB2wheeler
laguna454/4spd
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
dragons_lair59
IndyG3
texan01
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

a future plan that may anger some purist  Empty a future plan that may anger some purist

Post by Marshall.Pixley Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:15 pm

sorry guys but i had some little thinking time and it gave me a wonderful idea in my eyes that may be upsetting to others..... i have my beautiful 1973 el camino that i am always looking for ways to make it my own, and i had an idea. but i need y'alls input to see if it is even possible. i like the look and body lines of the 1973 buick century, and i was thinking that i can make the front clip and doors work on my el camino if i find a 2 door model. whats y'all thoughts? yeah i am thinking about what to call it. and i know i will shave the buick emblem off to make my complete debadged car.
Marshall.Pixley
Marshall.Pixley
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

a future plan that may anger some purist  Empty Re: a future plan that may anger some purist

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Hard to picture it...Don't think I'd like it much, but it's your car, do whatever you want.

See if rago can slap a pic together for you, might be cool.

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

a future plan that may anger some purist  Empty Re: a future plan that may anger some purist

Post by Marshall.Pixley Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:07 pm

yeah i would have to see the cars side by side to make a final decision, but i like the look of that buick front clip, and the only way i can make the lines look right would be to have its doors also. hardest part will be finding a good donor in decent shape.
Marshall.Pixley
Marshall.Pixley
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:22 pm

I think it'd work, since the body lines taper off in the middle of the doors, I think the lower body contours are the same, or you can hack a door skin together to make it work.

It'd def. be unique and be cool

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:24 pm

You have to do quite a bit of sheet metal work. The front end and doors would probably bolt right on, but the Centuries had some swoopy body lines. You'd have to change the back end of the El Camino to make it look right in my opinion.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall.Pixley Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:41 pm

yeah, maybe make my front bumper work?
Marshall.Pixley
Marshall.Pixley
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:54 pm

I thibnk its a good idea, if you really like the looks of the buick. Personally I like the looks of the Olds and Chevy better. Now from another angle, It would be a lot of work, is it worth it? I still have the Flu, but am feeling a lot better. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall.Pixley Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:59 pm

from the looks of it those doors wont cause a lot of problems and solve one problem.
Marshall.Pixley
Marshall.Pixley
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 pm

You know, that front end is starting to grow on me. Now that I actually sit here and think about it the more I like it. It is a lot more rounded off and it would give an Elky a whole new look. It would look even better on a Monte, I never did like the Monte front end. Oops, now I'm in for it! JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall.Pixley Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:04 pm

lol nice. really i love it a lot, only 2 things i dont like, the emblem (my car has none) and the bumper, and really only the little bumperets are the issue.
Marshall.Pixley
Marshall.Pixley
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:16 pm

It can be done but will require everything from doors forward on the Buick donar car including core support

a future plan that may anger some purist  0180b47da future plan that may anger some purist  Acad4a33a future plan that may anger some purist  227a54e1

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall.Pixley Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:20 pm

see i like that, not that exact year, but the buick look is nice. i prefer the 73
Marshall.Pixley
Marshall.Pixley
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Thats actually a Pontiac, think of the smokey and the bandit era

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall.Pixley Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:29 pm

ah, nice. but yeah i think what i will do is i will go find a car with a good front clip and good doors and buy it, that way i have what i need to make it fit.
Marshall.Pixley
Marshall.Pixley
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah, it's been thought of & discussed here before.
https://www.g3gm.com/t3560-odd-model-elkys

I want to say there is a member on here that has done the swap if you check around in introductions. Should be a bolt on affair. Just gotta use Elky windows in the Buick doors & that's it.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:44 pm

i know a guy with a 73-74 buick for sale
this front end but if i remember a 2 dr
http://www.hassinen.eu/1973buick_Estate%20Wagon-12.jpg
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Not an A Body. Wouldnt work.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:33 pm

estate wagon is b body platform isnt it?
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:36 pm

yes sir even the 2 door version of that buick will not work

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshall.Pixley Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:47 am

i looked and the 1973 century at least from what i found is an Abody car, i dont know about the wagons but i would only use a 2 door because of the body lines. and also isnt the ride of the week right now a 2 door buick century?
Marshall.Pixley
Marshall.Pixley
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:40 am

Marshall.Pixley wrote:i looked and the 1973 century at least from what i found is an Abody car, i dont know about the wagons but i would only use a 2 door because of the body lines. and also isnt the ride of the week right now a 2 door buick century?

they look similiar but the estate wagon shares body/frame etc with the impala, caprice, etc.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:53 am

Buick Century, Regal, Gran Sport, & Free Spirit are A Bodies. Everything else is a different body style.

Any A Body front end will transfer over & be a bolt on ordeal EXCLUDING the A Specials (Grand Prix & Monte Carlo). Just remember to grab the entire doghouse & doors.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:58 am

I always knewd us Monti carlo owner wuz spechil.

[/lame comment]

Please proceed.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:05 am

Haha. I ain't gonna argue that. You guys & your funny long front ends with odd swooping lines.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:10 am

Thumbs up

Can you say "BOXY"?

a future plan that may anger some purist  Volvo1975-240

Well, at least the headlights are round.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next