G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interior Water Leak...

+5
mrimax
pila
Mcarlo77
Laguna Budman
Jedediah
9 posters

Go down

Interior Water Leak... Empty Interior Water Leak...

Post by mrimax Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Hey Everyone, well it seems that the oil leak stopped now it's time to find the water leak. I know that the windshield leaks but it seems like too much water on the passenger side floor for it to be that. I took off the plastic vents on the firewall earlier today and reached inside and found a ton of what appears to be fur inside of the firewall. I know that inside there si suppose to be a vent tube of some sorts, anyone have experience with these getting cologged and water leaking into the passenger compartment. Oh I forgot it's a 73 Pontiac Grand Prix

Interior Water Leak... Photo211

Also I have never removed the console in one of these so anyone care to share as to the easiest way to remove the shifter knob to get the floor console over it? Have to pull the carpet, causing too much humidity in the car when it rains and I guess that will help me find the leak. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

mrimax
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Interior Water Leak... Empty Re: Interior Water Leak...

Post by Jedediah Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Some times a bad heater core will leak water and its always on that side as i understand it. But if you know that windsheild is bad def should get that out of the way first. In my opion thats what i would do.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:02 pm

I would say heater core leak. Not many other places the water could come from other than that. Does the water feel slick or smell of antifreeze?
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:06 pm

As for removing that floor console, you'll need to first pry off the cap on top of the shifter. Use a very small screwdriver or some such thing to get under the edge and pry it straight up and off. There are two notches 180 degrees from each other for use in prying up on it. Once that is off, look down inside the shifter knob and you'll notice a "c" clip at the bottom. Get that off and then pull straight up on the knob. They can sometimes be stubborn after so many years, so carefully work it off without damaging the knob.

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Maybe the heater box seal it self .Also could be the cowl maybe is backed up with old leaves. Take that screen off right under the wiper arms and reach around in there maybe stick a shop vac in there and see what comes out. There is a drain in there on top under the fender right near the door try cleaning it out with a coat hangar then flushing with a hose or air compressor.Both sides have the drain.Neat car too !
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:45 pm

A body's are notorious for leaks around the windshield, opera windows & back-glass. I have mine all torn apart and had the heater core out for refurbishment. If it was the heater core you'd certainly smell the coolant. If there is no smell then chances are it's the windshield. It is also possible that it's getting in through the weatherstripping (although unlikely, unless it's in really bad shape). When it rains heavy and it soaks through my car cover I get it on the drivers side floor board. I'm getting both sealed @ the glass shop when she can drive and am saving the carpet and interior for last.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Above the heater box assembly, on my '75 Elco, there's a plenum with a curved top, which is sealed to the fire wall. I believe it's for the defroster ducts. Anyway, it had been leaking at that seal for along time, and when I gutted the interior for sand blasting, I saw where the leak had caused rusted pin holes in the lower right firewall, and likely was the source of water that rusted the right front floor..
You may want to remove the entire heater/defroster assembly, if you think it could be coming through the firewall. Not a fun job, but sometimes necessary. Neutral

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by mrimax Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Not The heater core, only happens when it rains. Should have said that earlier. Pulled the screen off earlier today and found the remnants of the hood liner in there. Looked like a rat crawled up in there and died. Gonna try tmorrow to get a vac in there and try to clean it all out then look to see if I can clean out the drain. Thanks for the input......

mrimax
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by mrimax Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Found One Of The Culprits After Removing The Carpet In Front

Interior Water Leak... Rust_h10

Not looking to replace the firewall so it looks like por 15 and whatever I can use to seal this and any others up. Not looking forward to it. Also found the door weatherstripping needs replacing. Hopefully that will fix the problems.....

mrimax
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Welding on the firewall isn't a good option either. My way in that situation would be to cut the bad areas out, and pop-rivet some sheet metal over that area. A few coats of spray-on under coating inside & out would likely seal it OK. On the inside, a layer or two of waxed paper from the wife's kitchen would seal the undercoating from the carpet padding.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by mrimax Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Well I have the drivers side out and I can't see anymore holes like the one above, I'm going to hit the car wash tomorrow to see what and where the rest of the leaks are coming from. At least for now it's not as bad as my Challenger was. Had to pay to have the whole firewall replaced.

Interior Water Leak... Firewa10

Interior Water Leak... Firewa11

Keeping my fingers crossed that this will resolve the issues.........

mrimax
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:13 pm

This was a real problem in my brother in law's Monte Carlo.Kinda hard to fix. Look at the drivers side kinda above the fuse box see how it is there.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by mrimax Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Replaced the windshield Friday, Had a company come out, pull the windshield and then leave me to fix the holes that were found. Found three that were just under the base of the windshield about the size of a quarter each. Sealed them and then patched them. It appeared that I had them all fixed. No holes in the actual glass channel around the windshield which was a good point.

Called the guy back out and had him look to see if he could see any other holes. He couldn't find any as well. Replaced the windshield and was happy with the whole process and cost. $225.00 for them to do it. Not bad since they actually left and let me fix the holes. Took the car to the car wash and no leaks, soaked it pretty good around the windshield so it all appeared to be good.

It poured here last night and I thought since it didn't leak at the car wash that it was all good so I didn't cover it. This morning I once again had a puddle in the passenger front seat. Not as bad as it was but still water on the floor. Was going to be putting the carpets in today but now I'm at a standstill. I took the glove box out and crawled up under the dash as well and I'm not finding anymore holes but the water is coming from somewhere, I'm getting frustrated with this, I guess I'll just have to keep looking. Sorry for the vent....................

mrimax
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:10 am

My old 73 use to leak on the passenger side somewhere above where the kick panel met the door panel. I could follow the water, but never find where it came in. IT was just a trickle, but after a long rain it was bad. The weather stripping was new and I never figured it out..
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:08 am

Could be the flap for the recirc mode seal leaking a bit.

Mine leaks in the trunk, from the rear window, and also a quarter window leaks a bit.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:27 am

What about putting talcom powder around where you suspect the leak then taking a air hose and blowing from inside. Where you see the puff is where the leak could be.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:27 pm

Unfortunately it only takes a pinhole to let water drip in. Also, if you used anything but epoxy or a waterproof filler (such as the bond-o green w/ the short fibers) and left it unpainted, water will work it's way through the filler. If it's landing on the seat itself & not the floor boards, chances are it's at the top of the windshield. Lay some plastic sheet in the interior and try to see where it comes in using a cups of water...little by little in different sections of where the roof meets the windshield....may still be a pinhole up there in the channel. Check to see if they filled up to the molding clips, if not then I would try and seal around & up against their work w/ a good quality glass sealant & primer if you still have he moldings off the car. Good luck.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down