G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No more Monte for me.

+6
Mcarlo77
1973montec
Wallyuph
maliburacinfreak
JB2wheeler
Limey SE
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

No more Monte for me. - Page 2 Empty Re: No more Monte for me.

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:59 pm

BTW- All this BS is emissions related....I'd like to "emit" all over the EPA[/quote]

x2...I understand this was all brought about to ensure that catalytic convertors would last upwards of 120K miles by eliminating the zinc that bonded to the cat pellets; thus, reducing their effectiveness and increasing emissions.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:
x2...I understand this was all brought about to ensure that catalytic convertors would last upwards of 120K miles by eliminating the zinc that bonded to the cat pellets; thus, reducing their effectiveness and increasing emissions.

Yes so a $100 replacement part that can be bolted on in 10 minutes costs you a new cam/new lifters & (potentially) push rods & rockers + labor @ incidental stuff like valve cover gaskets, etc....$100 vs what, $2,500 or more if you have to replace valves & springs too? It's a perfect example of people who don't know squat about something, running the show.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 pm

Just an FYI...my car doesn't have, and never had a cat...they didn't start until 75...mine s a 74...

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:16 pm

To me it sounds like you rounded off a cam lobe,that sucks but a cam and lifter set is fairly cheap. I have been using a zinc additive (even STP has zinc) for a long time now one of the better ones is EOS available at your local GM dealer. Dont feel bad, I had to buy a new set of heads last fall since one of my valve seats was messed up due to poor machining (and my cheapness) and wouldnt seal,cost a hell of a lot more than a cam and lifters and ruined my annual long distance car show trip last fall. Let it sit for a little while and cool off then get back to it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:34 pm

When I changed the oil in the car, I added the entire quart of Rislone ZDDP additive in place of one quart of oil, as the bottle stated for engines 1996 and older. Did I put in too much?

IF...the car does need a new cam/lifters...I think I'll just go all the way and put a 4 bbl on it. I have a Quadra-Jet from a 1974 350 (which I would have professionally rebuilt), and my uncle had a 'mild' cam and lifters he said he'd give me, just leaves an intake and a stock air cleaner base.

My dad is restoring his Chevelle right now, and it's almost done. Maybe a month or so. So, when that is done, maybe I'll look more into it.

Don't get me wrong...I really hope it ISN'T a bad cam, but you never know until you tear into it.

-sigh-

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Is the Rislone a "Hi-zinc" diesel oil? Does that even matter? I don't think just a few oil changes would "do in" your cam. Even without the zinc added it would take a while to wear off a lobe unless you beat the crap out of the car or drive many miles (which I doubt in your case). It's prob just a loose push rod/rocker- If the lifter don't lift & the valve does not operate properly it will affect combustion/exhaust in the cylinder. I'll light you a candle in church on Sunday just in case.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:57 pm

I will donate intake and cleaner. You pay shipping for both. Let's do this brother. :~}
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:07 pm

77mali wrote:Is the Rislone a "Hi-zinc" diesel oil? Does that even matter? I don't think just a few oil changes would "do in" your cam. Even without the zinc added it would take a while to wear off a lobe unless you beat the crap out of the car or drive many miles (which I doubt in your case). It's prob just a loose push rod/rocker- If the lifter don't lift & the valve does not operate properly it will affect combustion/exhaust in the cylinder. I'll light you a candle in church on Sunday just in case.

You are right it would have come gradually and the car would have been running poorly over time,maybe it is just a loose rocker or a bad lifter ( I had that happen once with my friends 70 T-bird-lifter collapsed). Once you take off the valve cover you will see whats up.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:09 pm

1973 454 MONTE wrote:I will donate intake and cleaner. You pay shipping for both. Let's do this brother. :~}

Lol, that's only if it needs a new cam. Which I don't think so. Took the valve cover off today, two of the rockers are really loose. Going to look at it more on Sunday.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:12 pm

I mean, don't get me wrong...I would LOVE to have a Quadra-Jet on my car...I love those carbs, you can't beat the sound of the secondary's opening up...but that's a lot of work, I don't care to do at this point in time.

On the note of carbs, I think I might have my original carb professionally rebuilt sometime. I replaced the original with one my uncle gave me, and my dad and I rebuilt it. I'd like to have the original back on.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:32 pm

You can do it bud.... Very Happy Cool Twisted Evil GoFast 4 vs 2 = Q jet haven
No more Monte for me. - Page 2 P1010620
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Lol, tempting for sure. I just don't care to get into the work right now. Especially that the motor was just pulled out a year ago to be detailed.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:29 pm

2 rockers loose means worn out lobe
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:13 am

1973 454 MONTE wrote:2 rockers loose means worn out lobe

Or the studs pulled out,some one could have gotten too enthusiastic adjusting the rockers.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:22 am

I don't know how it could have happened. In my care, the rockers or anything like that have never been adjusted. I don't drive the car that hard, either. I get it on the highway a few times a year and really crank it out from all of my city driving, but that's about it.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2