G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do any of the 4 Wheel Disc Brake Kits install on our Colonnades?

+2
thatfnthing
Doozle
6 posters

Go down

Do any of the 4 Wheel Disc Brake Kits install on our Colonnades?  Empty Do any of the 4 Wheel Disc Brake Kits install on our Colonnades?

Post by Doozle Sun May 22, 2016 2:15 pm

Well assuming your car has the front disc brake option like mine already does I guess we're talking about the two rear brakes in truth. Knowing this do any other GM cars & parts swap out with our Colonnades on the rear axle's? Which aftermarket kit is the best fit for us, if any? Lastly how much will all this cost to install? Apologies if this has already been asked & answered a dozen times or more by now already!

Doozle
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Do any of the 4 Wheel Disc Brake Kits install on our Colonnades?  Empty Re: Do any of the 4 Wheel Disc Brake Kits install on our Colonnades?

Post by thatfnthing Mon May 23, 2016 9:28 am

The late 80's/early 90's F-bodies will fit our cars (Car Craft did it), and I believe someone (here maybe) also used the later 98-02 Camaro's as well. Impalamonte here did the math on it though, and by the time you find all the pieces and replace the consumables (pads, rotors, calipers), it's more cost effective to get an aftermarket kit. Summit has a nice one that runs about $400.00 last I checked.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Do any of the 4 Wheel Disc Brake Kits install on our Colonnades?  Empty Re: Do any of the 4 Wheel Disc Brake Kits install on our Colonnades?

Post by impalamonte Mon May 23, 2016 10:27 am

I performed this upgrade last year with a kit from "RightStuff" Detailing bought at Summit.

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/

I ran the math on a junkyard retro fit . Just like "thatfnthing" said , once you replace all the consumables...rotors , rebuild rear calipers , hardware,
refinish the parts ( sandblasting,etc). Your better off buying the kit.

An in - line adjustable proportioning valve will be a must to direct the correct braking pressure to the rear brakes. Installed after the distribution block running to the rear end.
My car was locking the rears before the fronts due to high line pressure.
( its a bad thing to have the rears lock before the fronts....the rear becomes the front !!)
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon May 23, 2016 11:46 am

impalamonte wrote:An in -  line adjustable proportioning valve will be a must to direct the correct braking pressure to the rear brakes. Installed after the distribution block running to the rear end.
( its a bad thing to have the rears lock before the fronts....the rear becomes the front !!)

Curious: Do you remember roughly how much you had to adjust it? I wondered how this would play with my ABS when I get around to it, and I suppose the ABS will be able to compensate, but will be kicking in for the rears too frequently if I don't use a valve.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Mon May 23, 2016 2:09 pm

I dont remember. There was a ton of trial and error in a parking lot. Once I got it to react : locking the fronts before the rears came in.....I just left it . Actually , became quite frustrated as there was a fine line to getting it to react in the described manner.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Tue May 24, 2016 1:09 pm

I converted my silver car's rear brakes to disc. I got all the parts needed off a 3rd gen Camaro that had aluminum calipers. Got everything for 100 bucks. Calipers, rotors, and the heavy duty 1 inch thick caliper mounting bracket that bolts to the axle housing. Then just bought an adjustable prop valve from summit ($40) to replace the stock one. I used the calipers I bought as cores and bought new ones, along with new rotors, pads, and caliper hoses. All of which cost me about $200. I work at a parts store so that saved me some $ right there too. So all in all I have around $350 in mine. It's nice having the all aluminum calipers too. And I painted the caliper bracket red for a nice little touch. And most importantly it stops 300% better than the old drums, which I had new ones on and adjusted/working properly at the time. Another thing I think that's better going this route is the thick mounting bracket off the Camaro. Compared to the thin ones you will get with the aftermarket kits. Anyways.....my 2 cents
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

MrRob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Tue May 24, 2016 1:15 pm

thatfnthing wrote:
impalamonte wrote:An in -  line adjustable proportioning valve will be a must to direct the correct braking pressure to the rear brakes. Installed after the distribution block running to the rear end.

Curious: Do you remember roughly how much you had to adjust it?  I wondered how this would play with my ABS when I get around to it, and I suppose the ABS will be able to compensate, but will be kicking in for the rears too frequently if I don't use a valve.

I have my prop valve all the way open to the rear and have slammed on the brakes without them locking up. It makes a big diff in stopping power though compared to the drums before, as now I can actually feel it pulling from the rear when I hit the brakes. Compared to it nose diving like before.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue May 24, 2016 11:54 pm

The '76 & '77 Elcos have 11 inch rear drums, while the '75 & earlier have the 9.5 inch. Don't know if the Malibu & chevelle models do.(?)
Only problem there if going to those, is having to pull the axles to change the backing plates etc.
Not disc brakes of course, but still an up-grade....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:55 am

http://nastyz28.com/forum/threads/s10-blazer-rear-disc-conversion.109454/

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down