G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

engine problems

3 posters

Go down

engine problems Empty engine problems

Post by pila Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:35 pm

Since I've been fooling with the Caddy engine in my '75 Elco, it hasn't run very good. Lots of stuff checked while trying to get it to spool up over about 3,000 RPM. Ran rough & crapped out around 3,000....
Today I was driving it around on the airport & stopped to see a friend who was working on an airplane. When he heard how it was acting, he said to turn the top on the air cleaner up-side-down. So I did....
The engine immediately came alive, tire smoke & all !
He figured that the dish in the top cover plate of the stock Caddy air cleaner was partially blocking the vent tube that sits a bit above the the top of the Q-jet carb. He must have been correct !!

Don't know why it didn't bother when this engine was in the Coupe DeVille ! Question Weird...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

engine problems Empty Re: engine problems

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:10 pm

That is strange. So the lid is formed so the middle dips down or something?
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:27 pm

The carbs used on the caddy engines had a different lower profile top air horn. The quadrajets have a taller profile with taller vent tubes. Also have to make sure the base of the air cleaner doesn't impede the operation of the accelerator pump arm. Sometimes all you need is a half inch tall spacer on the top of the carb.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down