G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Turbo or supercharger?

2 posters

Go down

Turbo or supercharger? Empty Turbo or supercharger?

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:46 pm

My big block has 10.5 to 1 compression ratio. Will the compression have to be reduced to install a turbo? How about with a supercharger? The engine vibrates quite badly when driving. I wonder if the engine could be rebalanced to reduce the vibration? JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Turbo or supercharger? Empty Re: Turbo or supercharger?

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:20 am

Can you post more of the combination? I think 10.5 is too high to just bolt on a supercharging device. It can be done with some effort. But as far as vibrating, engines should be smoother the higher the rpm. If the vibration increases there is probably an issue.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 am

When the car is driven at 60 MPH, because of the 3.42 gears it roars at 3,000 RPM and runs smoothly. I wish I had cast iron manifolds instead of tube headers. I no longer drive, glaucoma hit me hard. My kids drive the car in traffic mostly. I do not know if the engine is internally or externally balanced. If I went to lower compression I would have to get new pistons. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:50 am

Well I am going to guess its a 454. And it is highly important to know if the engine was internally or externally balanced, and if the right balancer and flexplate/flywheel were used.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down