G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone ever do any competitive autocross racing?

+2
knightfan26917
JB2wheeler
6 posters

Go down

Anyone ever do any competitive autocross racing? Empty Anyone ever do any competitive autocross racing?

Post by Damon23 Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:22 am

I've been thinking about getting into it. I always have a good time when we get to do fun runs on powertour and at the scca events around town. I've been doing the cruise in and show scene for a while now and it is just getting to be repetitive. The same cars, same people that think their car is better and squabbling over who deserves the $10 trophy at the end of the day. Of course the 75 is not the ideal car for this and I know that if I want to do this it would have to go, but if anyone here has done this before I'd like to hear the pros and cons, what type of car should I look at (older cars though), what all do I really need to do to it and what is overkill. I'm not looking to win any titles, trophies or anything like that, just something to go out and use and have fun with. Thanks.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever do any competitive autocross racing? Empty Re: Anyone ever do any competitive autocross racing?

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:58 am

Look at what cars are commonly used and go from there. We have no such events in this area, so I can't say which cars are used. Probably short wheelbase cars like Camaro or Mustang. Will a 3 inch roll bar fit your 75? Just kidding. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever do any competitive autocross racing? Empty Re: Anyone ever do any competitive autocross racing?

Post by knightfan26917 Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:18 pm

I haven't, but a friend in the Charlotte NC did "back in the day".  He absolutely loved it.  He used a 1992 Eagle Talon.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"Someday you will find me" __ Oasis __ 'Champaign Supernova'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:22 pm

I'm thinking about a 80 Z28 I found. At a event on Friday a guy had one that was tearing it up. I've always liked those cars. I also have a line on a 72 Pontiac Ventura that is more or less a Nova. If i'm going to do this it will have to be in a older American car. I've put a WIW thread on my Malibu. Let me know what you think.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:46 pm

74Malibu383

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTDFSWef1GI
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:09 am

Damon23 wrote:I've been thinking about getting into it. I always have a good time when we get to do fun runs on powertour and at the scca events around town. I've been doing the cruise in and show scene for a while now and it is just getting to be repetitive. The same cars, same people that think their car is better and squabbling over who deserves the $10 trophy at the end of the day. Of course the 75 is not the ideal car for this and I know that if I want to do this it would have to go, but if anyone here has done this before I'd like to hear the pros and cons, what type of car should I look at (older cars though), what all do I really need to do to it and what is overkill. I'm not looking to win any titles, trophies or anything like that, just something to go out and use and have fun with. Thanks.

When I was in college  the car club would host a "gymkhana" in the factory parking lot.

Since the Chevelle came equipped with fat tires and HD swaybars I would participate.  It was kind of funny to see this big 'ole car wallering around out there in a sea of Triumph TR7s, Chevettes and other small cars.  I used the massive power to compensate by smoking the tires and spinning around a single point rather than having to actually drive around the circumference of the turn, and by overpowering the straightaways.

One other story:  there was a young man that would perennially kick our collective butts.  His name was Neil Hanneman - he grew up to be the Chief Engineer for the original Viper program.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by switchbiker Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:42 am

In Reno, Nevada with the RenoSCCA they hold many events at a local airport through the spring and summer, I plan to enter my car once its finished, I don't know how serious I'll get, but I have a feeling I'll get addicted. There's a good selection of cars represented but No Chevelles here. Where you'd look for our 3rd gens is (usually) in the CAM-T designation classes (Classic American Muscle). You can find the requirements in the SCCA rulebook here, Here's a link to some results so you can see what types of cars compete in my area, http://www.renoscca.org/results/solo/2016/2016Round01Class.html
switchbiker
switchbiker
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down