G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GMPP 454 HO

+5
ant7377
alleyball4
JiMi_DRiX
LSANTI76
chevy76monteman
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GMPP 454 HO Empty GMPP 454 HO

Post by chevy76monteman Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:33 pm

I am trying to decide on my next engine to put in my '76 Monte Carlo but I can't really decide. I've narrowed it down my choices and here is my question:

Is anybody here running the GM Performance Parts 425-horse 454HO crate engine in their Monte? If so, what kind of fuel economy are you getting? Please let me know what rear end ratio and transmission you are running as well. Thanks in advance.
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

GMPP 454 HO Empty Re: GMPP 454 HO

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:49 am

That is a wise choice for an engine. When I was deciding on what to do about another engine I did a lot of research on crate engines. I had it down to that one as my final choice, but was talked into going with a handbuilt Dart Big M 540. I love this engine, but could have gotten the 454 for a third what I finally paid and when you are on Soc Sec that is a lot of money. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:15 pm

So how did this turn out? I'm thinking about this engine myself.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Performance/Chevrolet-Performance-454ci-425HP-HO-Engine/752313/10002/-1

It comes with a with truck style oil pan and pickup. Will it drop straight into my 1975 Monte?

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:30 pm

if you're going to run that engine, and you also want to do some daily driving with it, be careful on what rear end gear, and tranny you go with.

If you have an automatic set-up, the 400 turbo is the most common. If your rear end is an 8.5 inch 10 bolt, then the 3.23 is recommended. Your other automatic option would be the 700r4, but you would need the performance kit for it, and a 3.42 is recommended.

If you have a manual Muncie or Saginaw 4 speed, you could get away with a 3.55 without torquing your motor too high.

The ideal, and most expensive option, is the Tremec 5 speed, with the 3.73 gear, it will purr like a kitten, but is quite pricey. (up to $3k)

If you're not worried about daily driving, then make it a beast with the 4.11 gear .. hit the drag strip ... and be ready to rebuild your motor in the near future, but have a blast driving it Smile
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks for the reply alleyball!

I'm planning to use the TH-400 I have in the car, with a rebuild first. The car is not a daily driver, I only use it in the spring/summer for cruising hehe. Would like some more grunt under the hood, that's why I'm looking in to the engine. I currently have a Buick 430, so I'll need an adapter plate for the transmission as well.

Pretty sure I have the 8.5" 10 bolt, but I haven't checked what the ratio is. Do you think it will feel lazy with the stock ratio (which I assume is below 3)?

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:05 pm

stock for the 400 tranny had the 2.73 gear in the rear end.

The last 454 I had with the 400 turbo tranny, I made the mistake of putting a 3.73 gear in it. It got me out of the hole pretty quick, but my friends laughed at me as they zoomed past me on the interstate at about 85 mph ... lol

I would consider either the 3.23 or 3.42 gear if you're just wanting to cruise around.

some of the other 454 guys, may have some differing opinions on gearing.
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Yeah, it would be interesting if some of the other 454 men could chime in.

Mostly cruising, with an occasional 2hr drive at 50-55mph, that's about it Wink

The TH-400 came with the Buick 430. Originally the car had a 350cid and TH-350. I see in the this document here that 2.73:1 was standard ,as you mention. But 2.56:1 was available as Highway option. I doubt I have the 2.56 though. I can check it in couple of days.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LSANTI76 Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Hello Fishgrinder...I installed this same HO crate motor with the 7 qt oil pan back in 99'. I'm not sure about the Montes but with my Malibu I did have to purchase new engine brackets(not motor mounts that bolt to frame)for 74 454 Caprice. After re-tooling the brackets I figure it did raise the engine an est of a 1/2 inch. I agree with Alleyball with trans / rear choices. Myself I had my factory th350 rebuilt to withstand the power of this motor with a TCI Saturday Night special. Back when I used to tow a boat I changed out the factory 3.08s with 3.42s. The TH350 / 3.42s are great for around town & if you don't mind 8-10 mpgs...but not so great for consistant speeds above 60. Eventually I think I will go with 3.23s unless I spring for a 700R.
LSANTI76
LSANTI76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Ah, nice!

I read on another forum that this engine would drop in 73-77 Monte Carlos without modification, but I would like another confirmation before I do anything.

So were you satisfied with the engine besides the oil pan issue?

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LSANTI76 Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 pm

The motor would have droped right in without any modification if I would have used a normal 4.5 qt oil pan...but I wanted the benefits of having more oil volume. After 25k miles on this motor I have never had any problems with it. 15k miles were hot summer months of towing 5500 lbs. The only negitive thing I noticed with this motor is that when I used to run a 160 degree thermostat during the towing years is that I would have let it idle roughly 10 mins to have the forged pistons swell not to have some slight piston slap. Since I no longer tow with this vehicle I changed to a 185 degree thermostat which has resolved this concern. Now after 2-5 mins of warm up its ready to go. Very Happy
LSANTI76
LSANTI76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:26 pm

I almost went with that motor in my 76, but I was still learning everything, and wasnt sure what it would take to go from SB to BB at the time. I instead went with the ZZ4 motor.

What I did was contact Hughes transmissions, told them what I had, what vehicle, and what I was using it for, and they got me the perfect 350 transmission with a 2500 stall. You might want to go that route and talk to a rep from one of the big named performance transmission companies, even if its just to pick their brain.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:35 pm

THe motor will go right in there,the th 350 tranny will self destruct though .Get a TH 400. You will like a BB,its really the way to go with these cars,you wont nedd alot of gear either due to all the torque.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Keep the Buick (it's a nail head, right?)

LOL Wink
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:05 pm

No nailhead Mali Wink, it's a 430 from 1969.

Engine works fine, but is 43 years old and stock. Pulls ok, but not a beast. Guess changing rear end ratio could improve that. It has points ignition and I put lead, additive in the fuel just to be on the safe side.

So I would like to upgrade to something more modern as I have to pull the TH-400 out to get if fixed anyways. And besides, a 454 has been a dream for a long time Wink

I was thinking along your lines ant7377. According to the dyno graph it produces 450 ft/lb below 2000 rpm. That should be something even with 2.73 in the rear. I will have the TH-400 rebuilt and use it.

Another alternative I've been thinking about is to stick with the Buick, buy a set of headers from TA performance, and change the gear ratio. That would certainly be a more economical solution, but I should probably give that old engine an overhaul at the same time, which will increase the cost.

So I'm leaning towards the crate 454 these days.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 pm

Make sure to post pics either way you go. Very Happy

I'd love a 427 but maybe for another day or car. Good luck!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 2fat2fly Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:31 am

[quote="chevy76monteman"]I am trying to decide on my next engine to put in my '76 Monte Carlo but I can't really decide. I've narrowed it down my choices and here is my question:

Is anybody here running the GM Performance Parts 425-horse 454HO crate engine in their Monte? If so, what kind of fuel economy are you getting? Please let me know what rear end ratio and transmission you are running as well. Thanks in advance.

Big block don't typically get great fuel economy at least that's been my experience. I've run all kinds of them, it's generally putting out enough torque which tends to carry the car as well as any low end gearing. I haven't heard what your currently running for gearing and if your 3.73 and up with that 400 forget about economy unless you've got an overdrive to help slow those pistons down. Maybe 4.42's might be something that would be the best of both worlds for you.

I have 3.90's with a 4L80 and a 2500 stall it will live in that 2600 RPM area at around 76-80 MPH. I get to put the hammer down and can still hit the hi-way without to much pain at the pump, happy bowtie happy bowtie happy bowtie

What combo do you have ??

2fat2fly
2fat2fly
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:58 am

fishgrinder, why not just take the 430, hone the cylinders, replace rings, and polish the pistons and crank?

it would be a lot cheaper route for you to go, than buying a new crate motor.
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:17 am

alleyball4 wrote:fishgrinder, why not just take the 430, hone the cylinders, replace rings, and polish the pistons and crank?

it would be a lot cheaper route for you to go, than buying a new crate motor.

Yes, that would bring the costs down a lot, although the budget isn't a big concern (I'm a bitter bachelor Wink ). But I would like to crank things up a notch with a 454 Wink

If I go with the crate I will need an alternator bracket, pulley wheel on the balancer, new radiator hoses, new fan, adapter plate for the BOP TH-400. Are there any other things I have to consider when putting in BB in an original SB Monte?

Last edited by Fishgrinder on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:02 am

What about a huge 9.1 compression big block like a 555,you would need an aftermarket block like from World or someone. Would be great though,cost a few bucks too but how much are you really going for anyway? They all aren't cheap. Shafiroff, builds them like that as a crate motor too. http://www.shafiroff.com/

Like this !!! --- http://www.ultrastreet.net/engines/540_realstreet.php
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:35 am

Wow Anthony....those R incredible. Isn't Bohemia NY on Long island?

Hey Fish- they have "unclaimed" engines for sale check out this 540 hp small block!

http://parts.shafiroff.com/unclaimed/pge.php
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 am

Yeah Paul about an hour or so from my house, my friend had a big block from them in his Camaro,huge power house! Hes got an LS motor now in it though,he sold the BB to a guy that wanted it and he says the LS is just less to do as far as maintenance,it was a solid lifter huge cam motor so it kinda makes sense.

That probably a good deal on that motor if you want to put a Furd in your Chevy! LOL!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:56 am

ant7377 wrote:Furd in your Chevy! LOL!

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA....isn't it always the other way around? GoFast
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:51 pm

ant7377 wrote:What about a huge 9.1 compression big block like a 555,you would need an aftermarket block like from World or someone. Would be great though,cost a few bucks too but how much are you really going for anyway? They all aren't cheap. Shafiroff, builds them like that as a crate motor too. http://www.shafiroff.com/

Like this !!! --- http://www.ultrastreet.net/engines/540_realstreet.php

Well, I think its kind of overkill for me when we pass the 500 cid limit hehe. My budget would be around $10.000 for everything to get the car running, including the import fee for shipping parts to Norway (25% of total amount).

So that Shafiroff engine is out of range Wink

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:00 pm

25%?!!!!! Norway Gub'ment is crazy!

I looked at these guys for SBC they seem reasonable & in Wisconsin.

http://www.tristarengines.com/catalog/high-performance-crate-engines/gm/454/454-chevy-high-performance-big-block-street-strip-dressed-longblock-crate-engine.html
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 pm

77mali wrote:25%?!!!!! Norway Gub'ment is crazy!

I looked at these guys for SBC they seem reasonable & in Wisconsin.

http://www.tristarengines.com/catalog/high-performance-crate-engines/gm/454/454-chevy-high-performance-big-block-street-strip-dressed-longblock-crate-engine.html

Crazy is an understatement Wink

That company had some good prices. I looked at this 454 which is almost fully assembled and $650 less than the GM 454 at Jegs.

: http://www.tristarengines.com/catalog/high-performance-crate-engines/gm/454/454-chev-big-block-460-hp-500-torque-street-strip-complete-dyno-d-hp-crate-engine-with-cast-iron-cylinder-heads.html

But the GM 454 has some advantages: all forged internals, roller camshaft, waterpump (oh yeah!), flex plate. Probably worth the $650 difference?

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum