G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solid rubber body bushing.

2 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Solid rubber body bushing. Empty Solid rubber body bushing.

Post by Joe73 Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:50 am

Regarding the SOLID rubber body bushing that is used over the rear axle and at the center of the door.  GM part number 6271662.

Has any body bushing sets come close to the factory thickness on this one bushing?  All the rest of mine are the same as stock.  I have (2) complete sets of original bushings for a 73 which I'm comparing too.  But this solid rubber one in the kit is 3/16" thicker than stock.  Pic doesnt show as much difference but its 3/16" thicker. 

Also, has anyone used a bolt in bushing at the center of the door instead of the solid rubber one?  I'm thinking of doing just that since I like the idea of strength as opposed to the body just sitting on rubber not bolted down.  

Thanks guys.  

Solid rubber body bushing. Body%20bushing%20solid_zps3aph6akk
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Solid rubber body bushing. Empty Re: Solid rubber body bushing.

Post by Hawk03 Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:59 am

The center of the door one on my '77 were bolted down and the kit I bought had a bolt in set for that bushing as well. The only solid ones in my kit were over the rear.

Solid rubber body bushing. 20131110

My kit and dimensions:
https://www.g3gm.com/t6060-body-bushing-question
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:37 am

Hawk, who's kit did you buy ? I have the opgi and theres a difference in height of the solid rubber bushings on top of the axle. Their kit gives me a bolt in bushing at the center of the door as well. I just have a question about the solid rubber one.
I have to get the core support bushings.

Does anyone know if the opgi kit comes with instructions for placement?
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:02 pm

I bought mine from OPGI part number SB517K and it came with generic instructions. I placed all of the same sized ones around the center of the body, solid ones in the rear by the spring. The smaller diameter ones I placed in the rear trunk, and the other ones I placed on the core support. I think the instructions said to have the ones I placed at the core support in the rear and the rear ones on the core support but they wouldn't work on mine like that so I switched them, I think anyway - its been a few years and I know the instructions weren't all that clear.

I also had to get different bolts for the center of the door, they were too long and busted through the floor.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:19 pm

Ok, I see. You have the 64-72 set. https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/SB517K/

I have the 73-77 set. https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/G240628/

My opgi set are almost exactly the same diameter and thickness. With the exception of the solid ones. Thats what I have to figure out.

But if you click on the pic of my set, (4) of the bushings inserts sit flush in the bushing. But they are still the same overall height as the other ones with the normal insert. So no problem there. I'm also wondering were the flush ones should go. I have an email into them for an answer.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:29 pm

OPGI just got back to me. They said that no instructions are supplied with my kit. I'm thinking the (4) bushings that sit flush in the bushing I think should go under the trunk. That way all the main bushings up front have the same insert.
I will be using a bolt in bushing under the doors. I like the idea of some extra strength.
So my only issue with this kit is the solid rubber above the axle. I'm thinking I might just slice the 3/16" off the top and be done with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down