G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine stand & hoist recommendations..

+2
pila
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
6 posters

Go down

Engine stand & hoist recommendations.. Empty Engine stand & hoist recommendations..

Post by wbaker01 Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:21 pm

I'm potentially in the market for an engine stand and hoist so that my rebuild can continue. Looking for something that can easily handle a big block with no worries..

I read many stand reviews and not sure that I want to buy any after reading online reviews...

Thanks!

Bill

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Engine stand & hoist recommendations.. Empty Re: Engine stand & hoist recommendations..

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Big Block-Big Feet. I have two engine stands. One has the rear cross brace with two wheels and one wheel at a 90 degree from the middle. I only put small block Chevy's on that. Big Block with no heads seems to start bending that one. I also have one with 4 wheels. This is the one for the Big Block. Better weight distribution. I have an industrial lift crane that just looks like a bigger engine crane. Mine is rated for 2000lbs. If you are lifting a Big Block out of your car I wouldn't want one much less than this.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Engine stand & hoist recommendations.. Empty Re: Engine stand & hoist recommendations..

Post by pila Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:00 pm

X2 on that.  Smile A 4-wheel stand for a big block. 3-wheel stands can be "tippy" with a heavy engine ! As for a hoist, bigger capacity is always better, and you may even want to pick up other things with it...
I don't know much about the folding hoists, which are easy to fold & store, like if they have 2000 lb capacity etc..
I picked the body off of my Elco frame with two engine hoists...

Engine stand & hoist recommendations.. P1010557_zpsr35yszza

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:38 pm

Stay away from the 3 leg engine stand period and harbor freight has been good just make sure you get your coupons
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:19 am

I use the harbor freight 2000 lbs stuff. A steel head big block is heavy. My engine stand is an older one WITHOUT the foldable legs.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by wbaker01 Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks for all the comments. Seems like any stand review I read is negative but there must be some decent stands out there..

wbaker01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:45 am

Bill Use the Hoist to Pull the Motor and then it in an Engine cradle UNLESS YU Need to rotate it around for the Pan then Borrow or Rent a 4 legged version for that Duty then return it Put it Back in the Cradle to finish your Work then Use Hoist to Put it Back between the rails.....

$77.79 @ Amazon dot com

Engine stand & hoist recommendations.. 617382rDLeL._SL1500_

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down