G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ??

3 posters

Go down

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ?? Empty How to remove drivers side kick panel hood release handle ??

Post by 76GP50thGA Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:01 pm

Hello - I'm finally replacing my carpet in my 76 GP 50th Golden Anniversary but can't figure out to remove the  drivers side kick panel as I can't remove the hood release cable. If I can get this silly detail figured out I can finish up the carpet, it's looking nice Very Happy

Appreciative for any help

Last edited by 76GP50thGA on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
76GP50thGA
76GP50thGA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ?? Empty Re: How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ??

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Parking brake cable...or, hood release cable? The handle on the hood release cable doesn't really come off. I know there are after-market handles being sold...but, the factory ones seems to be molded to the cable shaft and I don't think they were ever meant to come off. You've got to unhook the cable from the hood latch and remove the retainer screw (I believe it's 5/16") at the firewall grommet and pull it thru from inside the car while removing the kick panel. I know...a lot of screwing around just to remove the kick panel. I've done dozens of them...and, what often gives me the most trouble is accessing the retaining screw on the kick panel when the parking brake mechanism is in the way.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ?? Empty I was hoping for a better way...

Post by crice63 Thu May 31, 2018 6:44 pm

I was pulling some electrical from the parts car yesterday and when I got the drivers kick panel out I noticed that it was a lot nicer then mine. But I also noticed that there seems to be no way to change the panel without unhooking the hood release cable at the latch and pulling it all the way through the firewall, changing the panel, then threading it all back again. The parts car has the fender off so getting the little grommet out was no problem, but the real car has fenders. I don't guess anyone made any grand discoveries lately regarding easier ways to do this? The hood release handle is in too good shape to tear up with experimenting.

I did figure out that you can get the release cable apart from the kick panel, but the handle is too big to slide back through so this doesn't help for panel replacement. I suppose I will do this while the e-brake apparatus is off but I'm not excited about it.

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ?? 41580472845_faa563c5d6_z

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ?? 40674754440_3865089cfb_z

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ?? Empty Re: How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ??

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu May 31, 2018 8:20 pm

There's only one way to do this...and, I think you've already discovered it. The cable has to be released from the hood latch and pulled thru the firewall. To get that grommet loose, I use a 5/16" short box end wrench to remove the little bolt. Of course, the windshield washer bottle has to come out first. Then, pry the grommet out from engine bay side. It has a slit in it so you can then remove it from the cable to enable you to pull the cable thru the firewall.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Well, the job's not really too bad now. My washer bottle is already out, and the e-brake mechanism too. My grommet screw takes a 1/4" wrench--had to hunt around a bit to find something because it's too tight even for the 1/4" sockets. Finally found my set of points wrenches with the odd angle which also came in handy. The 73 Laguna had jute behind it, while my 75 elco had the jute and stiffer material (butyl?) stapled to the kick panel. The panels had different style stampings--I will post below just for the record. The top one is from the 73, which considering its condition might be a late replacement. I cut out some reflective insulation to replace the stiff lining and realized it was in the shape of the great state of Louisiana! So I labeled the map just in case anyone ever sees this again. I still have to replace the panel and rethread the cable, but that shouldn't be too hard.

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ?? 40714215250_5dbcb14d14_z

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ?? 27652293807_23b0af4151_z

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ?? 27652293657_8b58108e96_z

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ?? 27652294667_1a6d4c1e4e_z

How to remove drivers side kick panel \ hood release handle ?? 28649213988_4f89588bbf_z

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

pjbanman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:19 pm

You are correct about the grommet screws being 1/4" instead of 5/16" like I stated...sorry about that. As for that stiff kick panel backing, I can't tell you how many I've removed over the years from these cars and I've never seen anything like that. Anyway, never noticed it before but, they certainly do resemble the state of Louisiana. Like what you did with the mapping, too...ha!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down