G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dash Pad Differences?

5 posters

Go down

Dash Pad Differences? Empty Dash Pad Differences?

Post by BAS-Sr Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:57 am

I have been shopping for a dash pad for the '76 Laguna S3 I picked up back in January, as most of us know these things deteriorate over the years and crack, mine is no exception!

I have seen and done (replaced) several over the years, but I found the generic as follows:

- there are 6 basic types:
  - one piece
  - two piece
  - the one piece dash without the AC vent on the passenger side
  - the one piece dash with AC vent on the passenger side
  - the two piece dash without the AC vent on the passenger side
  - the tow piece dash with AC vent on the passenger side

The only 2 other aspects that make these different relate to the emblems:
 - those for '73's that have the holes for the emblem studs
 - those for '74 thru '77's that have the square indention to the passenger side for the emblem.

Came across one yesterday that looks like it is one piece, has the AC vent, but NO place for the emblem?

Looks to be in pretty good shape, little issue at the speaker holes on the top.

Anyone have or ever come across a dash pad without the square indention for the emblem?

Dash Pad Differences? 20180311
Dash Pad Differences? 20180310
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Dash Pad Differences? Empty Re: Dash Pad Differences?

Post by Mitchell Murphy Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:23 am

Nice Find! In all my years dealing with the 73-77 Chevrolet A Body cars, I have never seen a 74-77 dash pad without the insert on the passenger side. I just wonder, could this have been Canadian version? I always thought they were the same. You could just glue on or double tape the correct insert, or place a 1975 "type S-3" door panel emblem there by using double sided tape also. I bought an NOS one on ebay right at Christmas time, it wasn't cheap but still less than the one I had redone by "just Dashes" it was just over 1800.00 including shipping, it was nicely done but too thick. You cannot beat OEM by GM. -again, congradulations on finding one-Mitch

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 am

Mitchell Murphy wrote:Nice Find! In all my years dealing with the 73-77 Chevrolet A Body cars, I have never seen a 74-77 dash pad without the insert on the passenger side. I just wonder, could this have been Canadian version? I always thought they were the same. You could just glue on or double tape the correct insert, or place a 1975 "type S-3" door panel emblem there by using double sided tape also. I bought an NOS one on ebay right at Christmas time, it wasn't cheap but still less than the one I had redone by "just Dashes" it was just over 1800.00 including shipping, it was nicely done but too thick. You cannot beat OEM by GM. -again, congradulations on finding one-Mitch

What did the one from eBay run you?

I don't mind paying for a good one, few years back I came across a '77 Monte with a pristine one for my '75 el Camino, ended up picking up the car for $800, parted it all out and made over $2000 on the parts, so basically got the dash pad for nothing!

I was wondering if this pad might have a cover on it? I looked pretty close at the pictures and does not look like it is a cover?
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitchell Murphy Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:51 am

It just might have a cover on it. You can do a much better and neater job putting on a dash cap if the dash is out of the car. For the one on ebay I negotiated a deal down to 1,150. I had offered 1000 but he was asking about 500 more. I bought a really good used one a few years ago for 800.00 for my 75 el camino -true SS with the (RPO 6H1) "soft face" Laguna front. these were available through COPO. I have a build sheet to prove it. There is a factory picture of one in the Chevelle 50th anniversary Hard cover book- a must have for any Chevelle/el Camino guy.

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:52 am

Mitchell Murphy wrote:It just might have a cover on it. You can do a much better and neater job putting on a dash cap if the dash is out of the car. For the one on ebay I negotiated a deal down to 1,150. I had offered 1000 but he was asking about 500 more. I bought a really good used one a few years ago for 800.00 for my 75 el camino -true SS with the (RPO 6H1) "soft face" Laguna front. these were available through COPO. I have a build sheet to prove it. There is a factory picture of one in the Chevelle 50th anniversary Hard cover book- a must have for any Chevelle/el Camino guy.

That's not bad for an NOS dash pad.

I looked at the pictures of this one and I don't see any indications of it being a cover? All the covers I have seen just don't seem to cover the lower corners very well and this one sure looks like there are no seams or anything like that, only issue is the lack of the emblem mounting spot.....It looks like is has been sprayed or dyed before, some rough spot on the top above the instrument cluster area, could be cleaned carefully and then dyed again, I need it black. The little spot/broken area in the speaker grill could be fixed pretty easily.
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:53 am

BTW, this one I am looking at is pretty cheap, only issue is it is in Illinois, I am in NJ!
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:52 pm

My money is on the dash having a cap. Unless they filled the two holes or square area where the emblem would be and re-painted it.

These can be shipped; albeit, it's kinda expensive. I've done it and was successful in preventing in-transit damage by wrapping it in stretch wrap like a cocoon.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:38 pm

BAS-Sr wrote:BTW, this one I am looking at is pretty cheap, only issue is it is in Illinois, I am in NJ!

If you pass on this one let me Know I am in Illinois and will grab it

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Dash Pad Differences? Empty Dash Canadian or not

Post by S3SS Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Mitchell Murphy wrote:Nice Find! In all my years dealing with the 73-77 Chevrolet A Body cars, I have never seen a 74-77 dash pad without the insert on the passenger side. I just wonder, could this have been Canadian version? I always thought they were the same. You could just glue on or double tape the correct insert, or place a 1975 "type S-3" door panel emblem there by using double sided tape also. I bought an NOS one on ebay right at Christmas time, it wasn't cheap but still less than the one I had redone by "just Dashes" it was just over 1800.00 including shipping, it was nicely done but too thick. You cannot beat OEM by GM. -again, congradulations on finding one-Mitch

Dash is the same regardless of what country it was originally from....The one displayed is either a 73 with filled holes or a repaired 74-77...
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:59 pm

Limey SE wrote:
BAS-Sr wrote:BTW, this one I am looking at is pretty cheap, only issue is it is in Illinois, I am in NJ!

If you pass on this one let me Know I am in Illinois and will grab it

I got the guy to send me a pic of the back, you can the 3 holes for the insignia that have been filled in, so it is a '73, other than that looks pretty solid? I am passing on the dash pad, want a '74-'77 so I can put my Laguna insigna on it.

If you go for it, he has a passenger side inner fender well I am interested in. Maybe you could me get that and some how we can work out me getting it from you?

I'll PM you with the guys info.
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down