G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

olds rear axle

+4
Sinister
brownbomber77
73ss
Joe73
8 posters

Go down

olds rear axle Empty olds rear axle

Post by 73ss Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:44 pm

Been spending the past few months overhauling another rear for my car. According to the numbers it's a buick/olds rear. Looks like the G3's came with one of 3 types. Chevy, Pontiac, & Buick/Olds. Each takes it's own axle bearing/seal. The B/O rear has bolt in axles and no "C" clip. The axles are slightly bigger in diameter than the C clip type. They don't neck down after the splines like on the C clip type. The housing itself seems to be more robust than the chevy. The spot welds holding the axle tubes in are nickle size compared to the dime size welds on the chevy. Even the rear cover is thicker and has a bigger outward buldge, I'm guessing to hold more fluid. Maybe these are a few of the things that made a buick or olds higher up on the GM ladder. This rear is the original that came in my car when I first got it. I would say it is original due to the date code. The chevy service manual also covers this rear. I took it out many years ago and put a C clip type with posi in. It was a 2.73 open. 3.73 posi now. Decided to use it because of the bolt in axles. The carriers interchange between the 2. I re-used the carrier from the other rear. New gears and bearings. A friend of mine has the proper pinion depth tools and we set it up. Decided to give Motive Gear a try. Had richmond in the old one. Always had a bit of noise. I'll get a new cover this week and maybe some new brake lines and stick it in the car. If you guys run across one of these you may want to get it. Makes for a nice core to rebuild.   
olds rear axle Dscf2513
olds rear axle Dscf2512
olds rear axle Dscf2515
olds rear axle Dscf2514
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

olds rear axle Empty Re: olds rear axle

Post by brownbomber77 Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:27 pm

I sold the 2.73 open for $200 a while ago out of my brother's car to stick in a Roadmaster rear axle with 3.42 gears. These bolt in axles are great for power but no disc brakes. What's the power level necessary to start breaking C-clips apart anyway?

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:26 pm

No issues with the C clips and power that I've heard of. No power is applied to the C clips. The bolt in axles are just better in case something breaks, the axle wont walk out. You can always ditch the C clips and install some C clip eliminators.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Bolt in axle type won't necessarily handle more power. Same carrier and gears. Axles are slightly larger. Just looks to be a better built rear all the way around. I'm going to weigh it before I stick it in the car. It seems heavier moving it around.
Last time I was at the strip, A fox body mustang broke an axle and the wheel started walking out. The guy got the car stopped in time before any damage was done. The main reason for ditching the C clips.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:38 am

If you run disc brakes, that's kinda like a C-clip eliminator....haha

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:45 pm

The Buick olds Pontiac cars were more expensive due to the small extras you got compared with Chevrolet.
Stuff you really don't notice unless you tear them down..
Sinister
Sinister
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:39 am

Hi all,
Were would you get some new and stronger axles for this rear end?

I have the same type rear end on my 73 Monte, and I am in the process of puttin in a big block with an 4L80e behind it. But I have a hard time finding stronger axle shafts for that olds rear end!
The ZZ502 with a better cam will make around 600hp, so I would like stronger axles. The only brand I have found so far, that has them in there program, are Nitro Gear & Axles, but theres are not what they call there "Performance line" how ever, they do say that all there axles are 20-30% stronger than OEM. But will they hold up for 3700lbs and 600hp?
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:58 am

I put these in my 73 Chevelle.  Nice product.  If your changing your posi unit, you could go with a 30 spline posi unit and matching axles.  That would be stronger as well.

https://www.tenfactory.com/axle-product/3256-axle-kit-mg22102/?crt_viaSearch=path%3Apart%253Aaxle-shaft-assembly%3Bposition%3A%2523%2528rear%252C%2Bn-a%2529%2523%3Bdifferentialcasedesign%3A_ANY_%3Byear%3A1973%3Bmake%3Achevrolet%3Bmodelandsubmodel%3Amonte%2Bcarlo%3Benginesize%3A_ANY_
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:22 pm

I already have a True Track unit, with 3:42 gear in it...28 spline, was installed by previus owner. So for economical reasons, I would like to keep that.
I will look further on that Ten factory page, the ones you link to are C-clip....mine are bolt-in :-)
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:16 pm

I know the ones in the link are for C clips but when you run the application guide its for all manufacturers in that year. I'd call them and check. Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:54 am

VikingDK wrote:I already have a True Track unit, with 3:42 gear in it...28 spline, was installed by previus owner. So for economical reasons, I would like to keep that.
I will look further on that Ten factory page, the ones you link to are C-clip....mine are bolt-in :-)

Unless you are planning on being able to dead hook the car with some good suspension parts and tires, the rear will never see all the torque. The 28 spline is your issue, not what type of axle you buy. Moser Engineering used to have a formula to calculate what spline axle you needed based on driveline.

It was something like, trans first gear ratio X rear gear X engine peak torque X .9. This gave you a number and they rated their axles based on this value. 30 spline axles were rated at 6200, and that gave it a 200% safety factor since the axles were rated each not per pair.

I ran my 800 lbs ft 565 Chevelle with 33 spline axles in a 12 bolt Chevy rear.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:00 am

It will be raced at the track once or twice every sommer, and I have upgraded the upper and lower control arms with poly bushings + QA1 adjustable shocks. I will also be running drag radials for better grib Cool So thats why I want better axle shafts...and I now it is not the ideal rear end, but will try and get the best out of it...
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:44 pm

A friend of mine races a 1977 Camaro with a blown 427, runs 6.5 in the 1/8th mile.  He has the stock axle shafts with the original 10 bolt, drag tires and a spool.  The rear axles have never been an issue and yes they are still C-clip 28-spline.  Although, if you put a 200 shot on top of the supercharger, you will drop all of the valve seats out of the aluminum heads! Was not very good for the pistons either!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:01 pm

When the cross shaft bolt backed out on my 73 and trashed the rear I almost lost an axle,it trashed everything in there. It even started walking out while on the trailer on the way to the shop to get fixed just from bouncing around. As far as after market axles for bolt in rears I bought a set from a differential place out west. Cant remember the manufacturer but if you put in gm part # they will show up. Listed for Elcamino.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:01 pm

Another question: Are the pinion yoke the same as the ones on the "corporate" 10 bolt C-clip style?
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:15 pm

I believe they are since the ring and pinion are the same.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Timken part number for press on axle bearings is "set 9" keep and reuse the retainers though.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:07 am

Joe73 wrote:I believe they are since the ring and pinion are the same.

That makes sense Thumbs up
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingDK Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:31 am

ant7377 wrote:Timken part number for press on axle bearings is "set 9" keep and reuse the retainers though.

I now, because I already have been repaired one axle that was leaking :-) but it takes a lot of investigasion to figure that out, since that rear end are some what rare....and thats why not many manufactures make parts for it...I guess
VikingDK
VikingDK
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down