G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATTENTION!! LEEDS KC plant 1973 Chevelle Malibu and SS owners!

3 posters

Go down

ATTENTION!! LEEDS KC plant 1973 Chevelle Malibu and SS owners! Empty ATTENTION!! LEEDS KC plant 1973 Chevelle Malibu and SS owners!

Post by dine73ss Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:07 pm

1973 Chevelle SS/ El Camino SS/ SS wagon legit therory.

Many of you Chevelle/ El Camino enthusiasts have probably read about the infamous "L" stamp on the trim tag for the 69-72 SS cars built at the Leeds KC plant to prove an SS without buildsheet.

Since 1973 was a new body style change. There is a possibility that the "L" was changed to "L_".

My SS 350 wagon and SS 454 wagon built at Leeds both have "LS" on the trim tag and my old Arlington SS 454 wagon i owned did not.

What i need for proof of theory is I would like to call on ALL  Leeds KC 1973 Chevelle SS AND Malibus/ El Camino SS/ Wagons to check their trim tags and report back on the thread. If this theory turns out correct. We can finally get the recognition these cars deserve PLUS stop the "how do you know its real?" and hopefully someone knows Chevelle book authors and get us included finally. Our cars are 46 years old and tired of no recognition in books and magazines except for one paragraph and a small photo.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by dine73ss on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

ATTENTION!! LEEDS KC plant 1973 Chevelle Malibu and SS owners! Empty Re: ATTENTION!! LEEDS KC plant 1973 Chevelle Malibu and SS owners!

Post by clanceman427 Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:48 am

I posed the question out to a couple Facebook groups for our cars to help spread the word and see if we can either prove or disprove your theory
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

ATTENTION!! LEEDS KC plant 1973 Chevelle Malibu and SS owners! Empty Re: ATTENTION!! LEEDS KC plant 1973 Chevelle Malibu and SS owners!

Post by dine73ss Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:41 pm

appreciate it.
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:52 pm

Bad news Dine73SS, I found an owner of a legitimate 1973 Chevelle SS 350 4 speed swivel buckets car assembled at Leeds but has no "LS" stamp on the body tag.

ATTENTION!! LEEDS KC plant 1973 Chevelle Malibu and SS owners! Leeds_10
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Kevin, that trim tag is from a 2 door coupe. I think Dine is looking to confirm the "LS" stamp for wagons which would be a "35" code.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dine73ss Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:25 pm

NOT BAD NEWS! LOOK AGAIN. He has "LO"
Why i need the data. There is a an "L" on the tag I just wasn't for sure what the second letter would be.
Need more Leeds SS cars and MALIBU cars too.

So now the question is:

SS coupes "LO" ???
SS wagon "LS" ???
SS EL CAMINO "L_?"
Malibu "??" or blank?

dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dine73ss Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:31 pm

Joe73 wrote:Kevin, that trim tag is from a 2 door coupe.  I think Dine is looking to confirm the "LS" stamp for wagons which would be a "35" code.

Thanks but i know what a 1D35 and 1D37 is.

Nice car by the way but is yours a Leeds SS car? if it is great! let me know what the very bottom left of trim tag says.
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dine73ss Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:48 pm

That very bottom in the lower left section where "L_" stamped is never stated in the GM trim tag breakdown in any books. From the second gen forums is where the 69-72 "L" code seems to be Leeds specific letter. Keep data coming. Thanks
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:48 pm

My correction, I thought you were just looking for wagon trim tags.

Mine is a Baltimore, sorry.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dine73ss Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:54 pm

cool. Baltimore SS car. Just curious if you have two letters on the very bottom left of your tag? just under the build month/week? not sure for baltimore cars. only know arlington didnt have any letters. Thanks.
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:34 pm

One more data point as of today, guy with an SS 454 from Leeds with no “L”, or “LO”, or “LS” anywhere on his tag. But didn’t provide any photos so let’s see what others come forward with
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:00 pm

Just checked.  No stampings on mine in either corners.  Just all that federal jibber jabber on the bottom.

I do have (3) other 73 trim tags. (2) are Baltimore and (1) is OS which I believe would be Oshawa, Ca. Neither of them have any lettering on the bottom corners. The OS tag does have additional numbers under the left side attachment screw.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dine73ss Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:43 pm

Thanks to everyones help. It was worth a shot. There was a 69-72 Chevelle thread i read today on Baltimore cars using "O" on their stamping.. GM has pretty told those guys its a guess to why certain factories used those codes.
Ill continue to hit the show circuit and keep researching.
Lots of discussion on the subject and stirs curiosity.

from the second gen forum.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/35-restoration-corner/608785-kansas-built-chevelle-l-code-cowl-tag.html#/topics/608785?page=1
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down