G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73 ss wagon

+7
Hs1973
FumiyoG3
76 Malibu
dhw3971
dine73ss
Joe73
454fourspeedss
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

73 ss wagon Empty 73 ss wagon

Post by 454fourspeedss Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:50 am

there is a 73 ss wagon on ebay today in California, starting bid 4500

454fourspeedss
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

73 ss wagon Empty Re: 73 ss wagon

Post by dine73ss Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:04 am

decent starting point for anyone wanting get into the SS wagons. first time seen one with no AC. luggage rack will need swapped to correct style. 73-77 luggage racks didnt have points on the ends. they were rounded corners.
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:04 pm

very cool car.

i don't know as much about the wagons as i do the coupes. does the paint look stock to you? It doesn't to me. I'm not digging the painted red dash trim either.

Can you tell it is an original SS wagon from the cowl tag?

Overall i do like it though. though i think it's reasonable, i am not a player at $4500 just because i don't need another project. If he decides to drop his price, i may take a drive down and check it out.

FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:12 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Chevrolet-Chevelle-SS/264210671102?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

73 ss wagon 310
73 ss wagon 710
73 ss wagon 110
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:21 pm

The stripes are incorrect.
Steering wheel I believe is from an impala.
Chevelle trunk emblem is not a 73 only emblem.
Has a dash cap on it hence the square right side emblem from an el camino.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 pm

I got a picture of the trim tag.  Unless I'm mistaken it looks to me like it was originally code 74 red metallic with a black interior, code 704.

73 ss wagon S-l16013
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:01 pm

How do you tell if it is a real SS outside of cosmetic bolt-on items?
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:43 pm

No way to tell without documentation. 1968 was the last year of the third digit of the vin being an "8" denoting an SS. Later years had some instances of big blocks only available with ss packages but thats not a guarantee. Basically, after 1968, documentation is the only way to id an ss.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dine73ss Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:48 am

its a K 350/ 4bbl built in Fremont Ca.
Doesnt have the two letter stamp Leeds cars have under the month/week. (different topic thread)
Unique is its dark red metallic with black interior and no AC.
One clue is to ask if it has the rear sway bar (F41 suspension). if its fresh looking. hmmm. But if rusty like the rest of underneath. probably original to car.

$4500 is not $45000 so the "is it real" is up to the new owner. its a waste of time and money to clone these out unless its the nice low mileage light blue one from a year ago and only thing it needs is a correct dash. 1973 wagons are just not common. either in SS or Malibu or Laguna. want to be unique. this is the chance. All the SS stuff is there. If is a bondo special. Need a good bodyman and $$$ as there are no sheet metal for these cars especially quarter panels. Best wishes for new owner
dine73ss
dine73ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:44 pm

The quarters and bottom of doors etc looks rustet out to me, this i problely why someone chose to paint it gray so far up. I bet the rust dictated how far up it needed to be painted in order to cover the Bondo. Im sure the new owner is going to be surpriced just how much rust there really is. Cleaver making it look like factory stripes. I like how the seller mentions the small rust spot on the roof, but neglects to mention all the rust hiding under the glued on rubber mat ?
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Grille emblem is on upside-down.

From the WWW:
This is a very rare wagon...1973 was the last time the SS package (option Z15) appeared on a Chevelle.  It was only offered on the Malibu two-door coupe and (surprise!) the station wagon (the only year you could get an SS station wagon).  The 350 V8 (in 2- or 4-V configuration) was the standard SS engine, but this wagon came with the optional 454, which was rated at 245 net horsepower.
The SS option cost $243, and was sold on 28,647 Chevelles.   The 454 option cost another $235, and was only sold on around 2,500 of those cars.   SS identification was found on the grille, front fenders, liftgate, steering wheel, and door panels on the interior.  The SS package consisted of a blacked-out grille, dual sport mirrors, color-keyed lower body striping, black-rimmed instrument dials, front/rear stabilizer bars, rally wheels, and G70x14 raised letter tires.
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:47 am

relisted, starting bid @ $3000!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Chevrolet-Chevelle-SS/264223457904?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:04 pm

relisted again, this time starting @ $2,500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264236082362?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=264236082362
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:03 am

That's a cool wagon. I wonder if is original SS? Would be nice to have included some undercarriage pictures, as the body looks rusty. I think it would look good if brought back too the original colour. Would the body tag show what the second colour, the stripe, would have been originally?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TrendSetter Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:53 am

I bought the wagon yesterday, ill be flying out in a few weeks and driving it home to florida to sit next to my other wagon. (i bought this from the guy in the article https://www.hotrod.com/articles/couple-goes-hot-rod-power-tour-2016-honeymoon/)
After reading this thread im a little worried about rust, i looked at the pictures as closely as i could and to me it looked like the paint was just chipped up. oh well.
i did ask about rear sway bar and he said the wagons didnt come with them. not sure i believe that, either way there isnt one there. judging by the rest of this thread it sounds like its not a real ss but someone somewhere put a lot of time in glueing badges all over it.

I really enjoy driving my current wagon and dont need another at all but ive been trying hard to find a clean 2 door that would make the drive home and this came up. i figured it would be a fun drive and worst case its spare parts.

TrendSetter
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:31 am

That's cool I'm glad you ended up with it Trendsetter post up some traveling pictures if you can and remember to LOL Its Not hard to add a sway my Local facebook friend has some rear lower arms he took off in favor of speed equipment replacement type He has for sale with the Sway bar provisions if yours doesn't have them

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:09 pm

the hot rod link is not working.

that's cool that the wagon ended up in a good home. i kept seeing the re-listing with the price drops and hoped someone would jump on it. it got down as low as $2450! i hope you got a good deal!!

best of luck on the trip home.
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TrendSetter Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:53 pm

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/couple-goes-hot-rod-power-tour-2016-honeymoon/

I got some pictures of the underside today. It doesn’t look too bad. I did notice there’s no rear sway bars but the lower control arms have the inserts for it to bolt to.

TrendSetter
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:56 am

Hope it will be saved as they are getting rare. It doesent matter if it is a Real ss or not, at least not to me. I have had a bad desire to make a 2 door delevery out of one for years. At one point the wagon and elcaminos where plentyfull here in Copenhagen. But now they are all gone due to rust and the few left are expensive. I had a 77 wagon years ago with every option availeble, but i had to get rid of it since i had a elcamino too and only room for one. 
But my 2 door bigblock delevery dream is still alive, i have one more build left in me and if i get the chance ill do it. A wagon with 454 and a set of elco doors he are in business.

I had a lead on an elcamino that was converted into a hearse in 73. It was in good shape due to low miles and alot of cleaning, it would have been easy to convert it to delevery. But sadly at the time i had no cash. Now its gone because no one saw its potential and just drove it into the Ground.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:45 am

TrendSetter wrote:https://www.hotrod.com/articles/couple-goes-hot-rod-power-tour-2016-honeymoon/

I got some pictures of the underside today. It doesn’t look too bad. I did notice there’s no rear sway bars but the lower control arms have the inserts for it to bolt to.

That is So cool you Have Wanda,  I know the Previous Owner Derek. They stopped by house with her Before he sold her, Says wished he would have kept her But she is yours Now

More pics in this thread ---->>https://www.g3gm.com/t10009p100-chevelle-se-02-22-2019-update

73 ss wagon 21191210
73 ss wagon 21125210

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:23 am

I've seen the car in person myself. It appears to be a nice car, but I didn't get down and take a look at the underside. It must be a reliable ride as he drove it to the Street Machine Nationals here in St. Paul two years ago. Such a shame that a divorce had to force the sale of it.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:30 am

Yea I hear ya

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TrendSetter Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:46 am

I’ve driven the car everywhere. The biggest issue is making sure to keep oil in it.
I drove it home from Illinois, been all over Florida with it. I love the car. I have a 5.3 and 4l60e almost ready to go in. It’s sucks Derek had to sell it but I agreed to keep the Wanda sticker on it.

TrendSetter
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:16 am

Funny that i actually names my chevelle wanda too. I actually names her wanda after a Cartoon figure wanda over yonda. Cool yours is Called wanda too.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by TrendSetter Sun May 26, 2019 6:37 pm

well i flew out to california and picked the car up on the 18th and have been working my way back to florida since.  we are doing 2-300 miles per day, im sitting in a hotel in alabama right now typing this up.

the car ended up like several expected on here, pretty rough.  theres a lot more bondo and rust bubbling up than i was expecting.  under the driver feet it feels like the carpet is covering up a rust hole.  in general that car obviously isnt in perfect condition, but its 'ok', especially for what i paid.

it turned out the seller was a towing company and the car was a repo car so the tailgate lock was missing (found it in the glove box later) and one door lock was punched out with a screwdriver and the other i didnt have a key for. luckily autozone sells all that stuff so a couple hours in the hotel parking lot and i had functional locks on all doors. Unfortunately while installing the trunk lock i found all this handy work:
73 ss wagon Img_7816

apparently it snows and hails in arizona
73 ss wagon Img_7813

meteor crater park is privately owned and $18/person so we kept going
73 ss wagon Img_7815

restaurant on a highway onramp that serves navajo tacos.
73 ss wagon Img_7814

TrendSetter
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next