G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Guy Looking At a '73 SS Wagon

2 posters

Go down

New Guy Looking At a '73 SS Wagon Empty New Guy Looking At a '73 SS Wagon

Post by bucket Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:38 pm

So I'm seriously considering purchasing a '73 SS station wagon but I figured it would be good to ask questions before I buy, as I know very little about these 70's cars. My background is 60's Impalas, squarebody trucks, 3rd gen Camaros and 80's FWD GM's... an odd variety, but none of the '73-'77 yet.

But anyway, the car in question is what appears to be a nearly original SS wagon that is a little rough. It's black with silver lower striping and the interior is black vinyl. The factory turbine wheels are present on the front, but there's just some S10 wheels on the rear. All the SS badging is there, along with the SS dash bezel (however, idiot lights and no tach). With the exception of the LR door, the paint is original as far as I can tell. It's a 350 car that supposedly runs if you pour fuel down the carb.

...And on to my questions finally. It's a 3-seat wagon, but the rear glass does not have the wing windows. It's my understanding that the wing windows were standard equipment on a 3-seat wagon. Was the rear seat likely added at some point in time? The next question is parts availability. The door weatherstripping is shot. Is there anything available new? I couldn't find anything in a quick search. And of course, there's rust. Most every panel needs repair, but the LR quarter kind of resembles swiss cheese. From what I'm seeing, nothing is really available. How close are El Camino quarter panels to the wagon quarter panels? Obviously the entire front half is different, it's the rear portion that I'm concerned with. Thanks for any insight.

bucket
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

New Guy Looking At a '73 SS Wagon Empty Re: New Guy Looking At a '73 SS Wagon

Post by 76classicwagon Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:17 pm

Go to gmheritage. You can look up the standard and optional equipment and all specs. It’s a wonderful site for research. I would be very cautious. No way to confirm by vin number. Should have blacked out headlight trim rings and taillights. Black grill and had he suspension. Yes all 8 passenger wagons had the rear wing windows for fresh air. Check the site out. Dave
76classicwagon
76classicwagon
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by bucket Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:43 pm

I finally got around to looking at the car again and struck a deal on it too. Upon closer inspection, the 3rd seat seems to have been added at some point in the past. There's no carpet in the footwell and the seat latch covers at the top of the footwell were originally tan.

All SS equipment is accounted for except for the rear sway bar. I don't remember noticing one when I was under there. Will inspect further when I get the car home. It's a 2bbl 350 car.

I have to figure out how to post pictures here...

bucket
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by bucket Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:47 pm

Maybe I have it figured out...

New Guy Looking At a '73 SS Wagon 20210110

bucket
G3GM Member
G3GM Member