G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sport driver remote mirror question

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

sport driver remote mirror question Empty sport driver remote mirror question

Post by riddick75 Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:05 pm

has any one taken apart a remote mirror, behind the mirror backing plate there is a little cast aluminum cross pivot that keeps the mirror from bouncing around or twisting in the housing, when I was replacing the mirror glass I noticed mine only has on bar on it left and all the other parts are gone. was wondering if anyone else has found this little part or if everyone has just bought a new or used one? it looks like it would be a 10 dollar part---20 from the dealer. lol don't want to spend 150 on a whole mirror just for that little cause, plus I just finished painting it.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

sport driver remote mirror question Empty Re: sport driver remote mirror question

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:32 pm

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

sport driver remote mirror question Empty Re: sport driver remote mirror question

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:13 am

Yep...looks like you're going to be needing the innards from a donor mirror if you want to use your newly painted housing.  And, if it's the driver side mirror, the only way you'll be able to make the swap is to disconnect the three cables at the control knob.  I was able to figure out how to do it by compressing the spring at that end while working each cable loose from the knob.  Guaranteed to try your patience.....
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:31 am

I managed to get the cables off the remote, that was about the only way I was able to get the backing plate off, there is one screw mounting it to the housing behind the backing plate.
sport driver remote mirror question Imgp4918
this is the piece that I need---just with the lugs all around it. any ideas what other gm cars might have this piece or just all gm remote sport mirrors?
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:28 pm

I got a spare remote mirror that I had given to my buddy, but it has the straight controller, I had managed to take the cage off to release the spring in it but the metal crimps that hold the cable ends and cable housing are a one time crimp, the metal breaks, also in looking at it the mirror base has a different centering design, where mine is a piece in the middle, this one was like a ball in socket design,
sport driver remote mirror question Imgp5011

so with the doner mirror idea scrapped, went back to making or figuring out something to fix mine. and with some brainstorming came up with using brass rod, and with some soldering and a few bends came up with this

sport driver remote mirror question Imgp5015

sport driver remote mirror question Imgp5013

sport driver remote mirror question Imgp5014

with a dry fit it seems to fave a good amount of pivot, it will never rust, and seems to sit back far enough in the mirror housing.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:13 pm

Looks like you found a good fix for your mirror. I'll have to check the 2 remote mirrors I have to see if they are like yours or have a ball and socket design. I'm thinking GM had either 2 suppliers that each did there own design or they were redesigned for the newer models???
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:47 pm

So it looks like my passenger side remote mirror was manufactured differently. It has a "half moon" key the goes between the mirror backing and the pivot arm that mounts to the inside of the mirror housing.

sport driver remote mirror question 20190413
sport driver remote mirror question 20190414
sport driver remote mirror question 20190412
sport driver remote mirror question 20190415
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down