G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stock Appearing Aluminum Radiator

5 posters

Go down

Stock Appearing Aluminum Radiator Empty Stock Appearing Aluminum Radiator

Post by jerry46765 Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:29 pm

I did a search of the forum and didn't really find an answer. Has anyone found a replacement aluminum radiator with stock appearing tanks? I thought someone posted a link to radiator that had oem appearance but was aluminum with modern fin core. I bought a low cost Champion replacement but was disappointed with the billet-like appearance which I was able to subdue with Rustoleum semi-flat black paint. But if I could find one with formed tanks and better fit with the production fan shroud, I would change it.

Thank you -

jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Stock Appearing Aluminum Radiator Empty Aluminum Radiator Stock Appearance Tanks

Post by eboklund73 Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 am

I purchased an aluminum desert cooler radiator from Original Parts Group (OPG) and had it installed in under an hour. It has the stamped tanks featuring an OEM look.

Very pleased with the fit; original rubber bushings in the lower radiator support and upper radiator bracket allowing for the shroud to be reinstalled perfectly.

Was also very impressed with the tranny cooling fittings (mine is TH400), tank neck fittings, petcock, and radiator cap mounting. Although aluminum, I was able to use the OEM radiator cap no issue. Included is the small fitting for the overflow tank (threaded).

Additionally, I was able to grab a 40% discount off the list price using their promo code.

Model works for small or big block

Check it out at:

https://www.opgi.com/monte-carlo/1973/cooling-heating/radiators/CH27762/

eboklund73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Stock Appearing Aluminum Radiator Empty Re: Stock Appearing Aluminum Radiator

Post by jerry46765 Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks for the tip. It's a two core, and I'll need to do some research on sizing with aluminum.

I had a massive copper/brass 4 core in there but it was installed without rubber mounts and it was thin in spots. Then bought a 3 core aluminum Champion after measuring it up and comparing to what was in there, thought it would be adequate. It fits good, and had not problem with cooling but it definitely isn't oem appearance.

I was amazed that 6 gallons of coolant was the full capacity.

Thanks -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:37 pm

Go for a aluminum rad that has (2) ONE INCH tubes. The cooling will be excellent because of more surface area. When you go to 3 or 4 core the fan/clutch have a hard time moving enough air through the rad.

When you get an aluminum, then buy 2 spray cans of black radiator paint and spray it. It will look like stock. I saw two cars that had done that at a car show. The radiator paint disperses heat as opposed to regular paint, so the can says.

As for the rubber mounts on the top and bottom, you have to get the ones for a 4 core rad because a (2) core aluminum is the same thickness as the 4 core.

Another option would be a an aluminum rad with plastic tanks. The tanks are black already and even have the original looking bumps on them. The center aluminum can always be sprayed black. Specs on this rad are different on several sites but I've been told its a drop in for us. And its only about $100. Murray 433322 Autozone, advance auto and oriellys also carry the same rad under different names.

Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:59 am

Like Joe said the aluminum radiators will be 2 core, not 4. And they will be 1" to 1.25" tubes. I had bought one about 10 years ago it was a Griffin Muscle Car series one. Looked just like the factory copper brass radiator.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 pm

alumitech reproductions were one of the best aluminum radiators that were made to look like the oem harrison radiators. i dont know if they are back in business cause the owner died a few years back i think might be worth looking up i run a monster champion and love it but it has fabricated tanks.

Stock Appearing Aluminum Radiator SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down