G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gen 5 & 6 blocks

+2
Iggy
73ss
6 posters

Go down

Gen 5 & 6 blocks Empty Gen 5 & 6 blocks

Post by 73ss Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:30 pm

I had read in hot rod where Ford had requested GM to quit using the term "mark" when referring to the big block line up. I guess Ford didn't want anyone to be confused between a Lincoln and a BBC? That's why the newer versions are referred to as "gen" 5 & 6.

Behind the timing cover on my gen 6 block, "MARK VI" is cast into the block. Maybe GM's way of giving the finger to Ford?Twisted Evil  I wonder how many lawyers got involved in this dispute?

I also noticed under the cam tunnel it is cast 7.4/8.2     8.2L is the 502, which uses huge siamesed bores. How can it be the same casting?
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Gen 5 & 6 blocks Empty Re: Gen 5 & 6 blocks

Post by Iggy Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:40 pm

Lincoln already had the Trademark on "Mark V" and "Mark VI", that is why Chevy had to go to Gen V & VI.

Too bad GM did not Trademark Super Duty and HO - Pontiac used them long before Ford!

Chrysler holds the Patent on the Jeep grille, that was actually developed by Ford!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:38 am

Iggy wrote:Chrysler holds the Patent on the Jeep grille, that was actually developed by Ford!

I had heard when the Hummer first became a production vehicle for the masses, there was a dispute with GM & Chrysler over this -- apparently Chrysler felt the very similar number of grille bars would create 'brand confusion'. I always felt that if you confused the two, you weren't qualified for either. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 am

I have Parts on my Mark IV from Gen 5 454 LOL ............. Block/insides are 1987, heads are 1974 781's, Valve covers are from a 1994 454 LOL I love it

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:38 pm

Iggy wrote:Lincoln already had the Trademark on "Mark V" and "Mark VI", that is why Chevy had to go to Gen V & VI.

This is correct.

thatfnthing wrote:
Iggy wrote:Chrysler holds the Patent on the Jeep grille, that was actually developed by Ford!

I had heard when the Hummer first became a production vehicle for the masses, there was a dispute with GM & Chrysler over this -- apparently Chrysler felt the very similar number of grille bars would create 'brand confusion'.  I always felt that if you confused the two, you weren't qualified for either. Smile

I wrote the original engineering program plan for what became the Hummer H2.

I can tell you that the number of grille bars was no coincidence.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed May 20, 2020 10:46 pm

im running a gen 6 block. but it doesnt have mark anywhere on it, its not even a gm block... Cool

Gen 5 & 6 blocks 54433310

Gen 5 & 6 blocks SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down