G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb tuning with wide band Oxygen Sensor

5 posters

Go down

Carb tuning with wide band Oxygen Sensor  Empty Carb tuning with wide band Oxygen Sensor

Post by 76 Malibu Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:23 pm

I want to dial my carb in really well, so I'd like to try a wide band 02 setup. Anyone use one before? Any recommendations? I have seen the hand held units and the gauge on the dash. I'd probably prefer something that I could use in more than one car.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Carb tuning with wide band Oxygen Sensor  Empty Re: Carb tuning with wide band Oxygen Sensor

Post by Joe73 Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:16 pm

Id like to know as well. I also prefer one that could be used in multiple vehicles. And I'd like to know if the reading is affected by dual exhaust.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Carb tuning with wide band Oxygen Sensor  Empty Re: Carb tuning with wide band Oxygen Sensor

Post by Flywheel Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:59 pm

I've been looking at these also. If I'm gonna weld a bung to my header, I'm installing the gauge. O2 sensor will eventually fail if running leaded fuel or using a lead additive. Silicone on header gaskets would be a no no. Working with carbs I think monitoring one bank would be sufficient. You cant have any exhaust leaks at all, not in the least, anywhere near the O2 and certainly not upstream, or that will throw the readings off.
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 pm

Flywheel wrote:Silicone on header gaskets would be a no no.

Not if labeled as 'O2 sensor safe'.

Joe73 wrote:And I'd like to know if the reading is affected by dual exhaust.
Flywheel wrote:Working with carbs I think monitoring one bank would be sufficient.

I would think unless you have some severe imbalance in the carb or valvetrain, both sides should read similar and therefore one side should be fairly indicative of the other.

But for absolute accuracy you'd want to do both sides.  Put a bung in each collector and swap the gauge from side to side.  Can't test it further downstream at an X or H pipe as it loses too much heat.  Has to be as close to the head as possible to be accurate.

Last edited by thatfnthing on Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:31 pm

I thought I saw portable ones for use in the tail pipe. Anyone have any knowledge on them?
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:32 pm

I have seen the tailpipe ones, but I was just going to weld a bung on the exhaust. I figure it would be more accurate.

I was looking at this one on Summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-4110/

It has good reviews but I'd prefer to have something not permanently mounted. I suppose I could setup this gauge on some sort of stand or bracket that I could move from car to car.

I also may have a line on a used Innovate LM-2 for a good price. It has more hit and miss reviews on Summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/inn-3837/
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:00 pm

Only one I used years ago was moved from car to car and put in 1 header collector.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:02 am

76 Malibu wrote:...but I'd prefer to have something not permanently mounted.

I wanted the ability to change sides if needed, so I had a bung welded into each header collector. One side now simply has a plug:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kok-9002sa/overview/

Though I don't remember it being that expensive for a plug. Smile

thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down