G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Seat Pan Repair

4 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Rear Seat Pan Repair Empty Rear Seat Pan Repair

Post by Hawk03 Fri May 22, 2020 12:08 pm

I was expecting the guy who repaired other rust and painted my car to repair the pan under the seat but that didn't happen. Until I can get new metal welded in, is there a temporary solution I should use to cover the hole/rust? I highly doubt I will be driving in rain but I don't want dust and other stuff coming into the cabin. I'm also afraid if I cover it with something that can trap moisture, it will eat more metal. Its not too bad compared to what I was dealing with in my other car but it does bother me. The drivers side is worse than the passenger side. Should I add some rust inhibitor for the time being?

Rear Seat Pan Repair 20200533
Rear Seat Pan Repair 20200532
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Rear Seat Pan Repair Empty Re: Rear Seat Pan Repair

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat May 23, 2020 12:07 am

Take a wire wheel to it and remove any loose rust. Then spray it with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator to stop the rust. Then place sound deadner over it like DynaMat or FatMat and your good until you have it repaired properly.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 am

Cool, thanks. I need to add the rust encapsulator to the trunk floor as well. I'll just order a quart and brush it on both surfaces.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Silentknight85 Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:28 pm

I was in the same boat here. Ended up rebuilding the entire section. Not only did I have to do the trunk divider/floor, but also the supporting structure underneath.

Rear Seat Pan Repair 20200612
Silentknight85
Silentknight85
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:26 am

I have a similar (but larger) problem on my station wagon in that area where the front wheel well, floor pan and lower A-pillar "dogleg" come together.  I've seen brand-new rear floor pans for sale, but I suspect they are for two-door cars...can someone confirm if those pans are usable across different bodies?  I have a feeling this repair will involve a lot of custom cutting and shaping... Crying or Very sad
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:15 pm

Silentknight85 wrote:I was in the same boat here. Ended up rebuilding the entire section. Not only did I have to do the trunk divider/floor, but also the supporting structure underneath.

Rear Seat Pan Repair 20200612

That looks good! Wish you were closer, I'd contract your services. Very Happy
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down