G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quadrajet Fuel Filter

5 posters

Go down

Quadrajet Fuel Filter Empty Quadrajet Fuel Filter

Post by 73 SS Wagon Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:09 pm

I went to replace the fuel filter in my 73 350 Quadrajet. It looks like this:
Quadrajet Fuel Filter Img_9012

Surprise, no filter at all in there at all. Just a spring.

So I buy a filter and it seems too long. I remember from long ago that these filters were shorter and that's why there was a spring to hold them in place. Sure enough the filter crushes and blocks the fuel from getting into the carb. You can see how the filter twisted as it compressed.

Quadrajet Fuel Filter Img_9013

Advance Auto Parts, Napa, and every other place I look have the same filter, 1.03 inches long. Can anyone direct me to getting the right filter?

Thanks.
73 SS Wagon
73 SS Wagon
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Quadrajet Fuel Filter Empty Re: Quadrajet Fuel Filter

Post by ant7377 Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:59 pm

The inlet there dosent look right. Looks like it came from something else. That carb looks like a Q jet off a Buick or Olds which has inlet center front of carb. I would replace the line and put a inline filter there if you want to use that carb.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:18 pm

Was thinking the same thing. The filter in my spare Q-jet off a '75 Laguna is 2" lg.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:53 pm

Quadrajet Fuel Filter 20200510
I hate to tell you sir, but you have either a Pontiac, Buick, or Olds carb on your car. Chevy carbs have the line coming in on the side and not the front of the carb. I've never see that type of adapter before. Depending on what fitting you have on your car, you can run a short or long filter. The fitting that screws into the carb, long or short, will reflect which filter you'll be able to use.
I have the short fitting and filter on mine.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:11 pm

Get the filter based on the carb number, it you do have a Chevy Q-jet it would have come off a 1978 3/4-ton truck 454 - a one year only carb with an inlet facing forward.  Other Chevy Q-jets inlet faces the passenger side.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down