G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motor Oil

+3
Joe73
zucchi
Mcarlo77
7 posters

Go down

Motor Oil Empty Motor Oil

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:14 pm

It's approaching the time of year when I do pre-winter maintenance on my vehicles...and, that includes changing the oil. I have always used conventional 10W30 motor oil in my older vehicles that are weekend summer drivers (such as the Monte Carlo and Cougar). However, I have found it increasingly more difficult to find it. It's hit or miss at my local Walmarts. And even then, my only choice is Quaker State's All Mileage if they have it at all. I don't see the need to spend the extra for synthetics...and, quite honestly, don't know that it's the best choice for these old stock motors. Am I stuck in the past? What are you guys using?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Motor Oil Empty Re: Motor Oil

Post by zucchi Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:45 pm

I use Valvoline Racing 20-50. I've had good luck with NAPA parts stores. I've been dealing with the silent phasing out of the good oil for some years now.

The biggest issue with oil for these older cars is the oil needs zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate (ZDDP) as an additive. On engines where there is high-pressure direct metal-to-metal contact surface (think standard flat and hydraulic lifters on the cam lobes, rocker arm tips on the top of valve stems), the ZDDP provides a molecule sized layer of additional protection. Modern engines with roller valve train components don't "need" it but it's not harmful to use it. The main reason for the phase out appears to originate in California. The state's EPA has declared zinc to be an environmental hazard. Stores that had the good stuff in stock at the time the rule went into effect were allowed to sell off their stock but could not replenish it.

Anyway, being that you're in Minnesota, you more options than we in California. You could mail order it or go to any reputable big chain auto parts store to by the oil your car needs right off the shelf. If you absolutely cannot find engine oil with ZDDP, you could buy engine break-in additive which so happens to be ZDDP and use half a bottle of that with every oil change. We can still get the break-in stuff off the shelf here in California.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:49 pm

Not to open a can of worms. And dont take my statements as gospel and dont shoot the messenger. But most oil manufacturers state not to add anything to their oils. Ive even read where ratings even come out lower when adding stuff like zinc. And alot of additives increase the "acidity" of the oil itself. Before I decided on an oil for my chevelle, I researched oil tests that would give me the a good high psi rating to combat the wear pressures on the cam lobe, lifters and rockers. Just like zinc used to do. So when I broke in my engine I used Lucas break in oil. I did not put in any additive. After break in I went with VR1 10w30. It has high zinc numbers.

Id do some research and go with an oil your comfortable with. Lots of info and tests out there. Im actually ready to do another oil change on my engine because the oil is about a year old. I'll probably just stick to the VR1 10w30 because it has good numbers and I dont want to add anything.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:14 pm

I am with Joe. I use VR1 10w-30. It was probably based on his comments from some time ago Very Happy I've bought a box of six from Rockauto, Amazon and Napa. I've seen it at Menards as well.

What is the the self life of unopened oil?
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:32 pm

I dont know what the shelf life is, I just buy it when I need it and keep an extra on the shelf. I just bought (5) on amazon for $6.78 a quart free shipping.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:45 pm

I've used the Valvoline Racing oil for quite a while in a couple of cars. The engines seem to like it a lot. But recently I've used Penn Grade oil in my 87 El Camino as per the instructions of my engine builder who built the sbc 400 for it. Seems to be very good oil also. Anyone else have any experience with it?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:49 pm

If the car doesn't have a catalytic converter I use Rotella 15-40 oil in it. Ran it in my race engines with zero issues.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Motor Oil Empty I'm surprised you folks use 10w-30

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:57 pm

I have almost always used 10W-40 oil on my stock Chevelle so I apologize for not having much sympathy for the search for 10W-30 which has always been plentiful in comparison. The few times I used 10w-30 the car seemed to be a bit leaky and I didn't notice any positive improvement otherwise. And yes the car is still running haha.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

jpowen49 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down