G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

numbers on motor

5 posters

Go down

numbers on motor Empty numbers on motor

Post by BoOlds Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Got a question guys.... Im young so excuse me if this is a dumb question.... Got some numbers off the front of my motor by the water pump 381917 can these tell me what my motor is
Also there's an A by the number 1 and number 8 spark plug hole
BoOlds
BoOlds
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

numbers on motor Empty Re: numbers on motor

Post by 77mali Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:54 am

The Engine Suffix Code is usually stamped on a block pad located immediately forward of the right hand or passenger side cylinder head. It should tell you the plant it was built, month & day & production number (what # engine such as the 56,000 engine ever built there). Keep cleaning, it should also have some letters on that pad which will give info on the engine & trans combo. If you can post a good pick I can try and find out more. There are more numbers in other locations as well. I posted this recently, maybe it will help you. (You may have to wait for the page to load after clicking on the link.) https://www.g3gm.com/t4614-engine-related-casting-numbers-link?highlight=engine+casting
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:41 am

Number 8 small block heads
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:01 am

Going off of what you tell me, you have a 1965 425 under the hood. Careful on cam selection if you choose to buy one since this engine has a 45* angle vs the typical Olds 39* bank angle.

It is possible that you are overlooking the number before the letter "A" & in that case you have a small block. Possibly a 330, but most likely a 68-76 350. My guess is that this is your engine, but clean off the head a little better to double check or post a pic of it.

You could always measure the intake to see. A small block measures 12" between heads at the manifold base & a BB measures 14".
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:13 am

oops number 8 spark plug hole lol not a #8 on the head. A heads are great Big block heads if thats what you have. they may be 7A heads
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:59 am

if you are unsure about what a random casting number means, just type it into google and type gm next to it. you will get useful results most of the time.

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:17 am

Well the casting number shows up as two different engines. 1965 425 or a 1968-1976 350. The A is a 1965 425, BUT it could also be an A followed after a letter, which could be 7A as in a 1972 350. That's why measuring the intake & double checking the head is so important. Also check out the Olds FAQ for casting numbers and such as well. That site might be very outdated, but has been invaluable for over 10 years when I have searched for Olds info.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down