G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

availability 76 sedan 4 door working parts and glass

3 posters

Go down

availability 76 sedan 4 door working parts and glass Empty availability 76 sedan 4 door working parts and glass

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:49 pm

Didn't see anything on this in a search here.

how difficult is it to get good condition sedan* door mechanism parts and glass ( only very light rust and otherwise fine)? *76 Chevelle Malibu Classic sedan

All my door parts are operating at the moment and I have good glass. But several years ago I had a part break and was very very lucky to find a NOS replacement after a week of frantic search. So I am wondering how difficult is it to get very good used parts for all the door  glass/back window, 1/4 glass and mechanisms of window and locks/latches? Also how much would be reasonable to pay? This is for insurance / peace of mind.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

availability 76 sedan 4 door working parts and glass Empty Re: availability 76 sedan 4 door working parts and glass

Post by 77camino Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:34 am

Unfortunately you already know the answer. All parts are hard to find and your 4 door parts will be even harder to find. Several years ago my local pick n pull got a 76/77(can’t remember which one) 4 door in. It was so nice that I thought the owner probably drove it to the junkyard. The only problem was a large dent in the driver’s door. The funny part was that a replacement door was sitting in the back seat. I didn’t take much off of it because I could only used a limited number of those parts. Wish it was still there, you could have scored with a lot of parts. I would have pulled the dash but of course it was the only bad part of the interior. I did get a factory am/fm stereo and a front bumper. I will keep my eyes open for anything that comes up.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

availability 76 sedan 4 door working parts and glass Empty Re: availability 76 sedan 4 door working parts and glass

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:56 am

Specifically, which door/window hardware parts are you considering? Condition of glass is very subjective. I have gone down that road when looking for door glass for a couple members on here. Near impossible to find any that doesn't at least have light scratches where the glass rubs against those felt covered guide stabilizers. Prices will vary depending on JY. If you're lucky enough to find a donor at your local U Pull, they are much cheaper than most regular JY's. There is a JY a couple hrs drive from me that has several 4-drs and wagons. But, they've been sitting there for decades and who knows the condition of the door latches, regulators, etc? Never had the need to pull parts from within the doors.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

availability 76 sedan 4 door working parts and glass Empty thanks for replies

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:31 pm

I don't have extensive experience with renovation which is why I asked. Just for context my Chevelle has been a daily driver for many years sort of. I have always driven it 3 or 4 times a week I mean over that period. So I have not bothered about restoration/ renovation other than keeping it running and clean outside and inside. I did have someone customize the seats and had a general repaint years ago and am going to do it again. It has always been garaged.

As for parts there was never much of a problem getting parts that were needed whether mechanical or body although I didn't have an issue with door mechanism other than the handle. But I  hit a wall suddenly about 3 or 4 years ago where parts suddenly disappeared and that was also true for repair shops.  I had to look on Ebay  and with resto parts suppliers etc. Being on the East Coast I don't see many older cars anymore. They have mostly disappeared other than an occasional Mustang so junkyards are not an answer here.

What I noticed in my limited experience recently was that 4 door parts seemed to sell more slowly and so I got nervous that sellers were just going to give up parting them and send them to the crusher. So I am considering just stockpiling such parts even if I don't need them at this moment. Based on your comments, I see I have to do it.

Another issue is the exactness of interchange door parts from other GM intermediates. I know that some technically interchange but I wondered how exact the fit was between GM 4 door models. I have plenty of experience now with the difference between "universal" fit and specific fit. When the vertical cam part broke and I very luckily found a NOS part it was still a bear to align the frameless window, even though I had the actual GM tools to do it.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:23 pm

As a general rule, you want to stick with the other '73-'77 GM "A" body 4-drs/wagons for interchangeability.

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

availability 76 sedan 4 door working parts and glass Empty understand about the G3 A body but concerned

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:36 pm

My question was more about exact refit. I just find it hard to believe but it may be true that Olds and Pontiac and Buick did precisely the same thing as Chevy for the G3s. I realize all of you don't likely have direct experience with sedans and wagons doors but are the coupe door parts an exact refit across A bodies makers parts or just a "close enough for general repair" fit. As I noted even with a NOS part, realigning the window was not easy and it is still slightly hard to roll up all the way unless the door is open.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:28 pm

From the stuff I have pulled out of the coupes, the door/window parts, latches, regulators are the same across the board on '73-'77 GM "A" bodies. There was a change in outer door handles in '76 or '77 (can't recall exactly off the top of my head). Can only assume this all holds true with 4-drs/wagons.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Limey SE and 76Chevelle2Tone like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down