G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Love for This '76 Monte

+6
ant7377
77camino
impalamonte
76Chevelle2Tone
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Mcarlo77
10 posters

Go down

No Love for This '76 Monte Empty No Love for This '76 Monte

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:07 pm

This '76 Monte arrived at the local U Pull on Halloween day.  I contemplated going there and picking parts, but since I didn't really need anything, I left it for others to pick.  Today, I'm browsing their inventory and notice it's still sitting there after nearly 3 mos.  Usually, the rotation of stock has vehicles crushed by now.  Anyway, I decided enough of sitting around the house and decided to go see what, if anything, was still left on it.  To my surprise, it was largely still intact...after 3 mos, 2 Frozen Nut events @ 50% off and yet another @ 30% off.  Couldn't believe it!  Only strg column, sport mirrors, instrument cluster and a few interior odds and ends were gone.  This was not a well optioned car, but has a Mahogony colored interior that is in nice condition.  Just don't understand why there is so little interest in this generation of cars in my area.  So, knowing it's days are numbered before it gets crushed, I did my part in salvaging some of the interior trim pcs.  Was too cold to get everything I wanted, but may go back if weather cooperates and it doesn't get crushed by next weekend. On a side note, what really pisses me off at these U Pulls is how people just cut and hack their way to whatever it is they want with no regard to what someone else may need. This is what happened to the upper door panels by whomever removed the sport mirrors. They just folded back the front corners to access the mtg screws and ruined a perfectly good set of panels instead of taking a few more minutes to do it properly.

No Love for This '76 Monte 1976mo11
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

No Love for This '76 Monte Empty Re: No Love for This '76 Monte

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:28 am

There should be a mandatory class for proper junkyard etiquette before anyone is allowed to roam these places.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

TW Monte likes this post

Back to top Go down

No Love for This '76 Monte Empty Montes seem to be East Coast, Chevelles mid west and west

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:06 am

On the East Coast I remember quite a few Monte Carlos , much more than Chevelles. Most people had Olds Cutlasses by far, Buick or Pontiac A bodies as best as I can recall plus the occasional Corvette. Speaking of Corvettes I hardly see them anymore and haven't since the 90s. Don't know if that explains the relative lack of Midwest interest in the Monte. My own Chevelle was bought in Tennessee and came East with the owner so that fits my anecdotal evidence.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:53 am

From the pic. Looks to be in relatively "nice" condition for an almost 50 year old car.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:47 am

In the Midwest I went to a local u pull to look at an el Camino early on a Saturday morning, took a few parts and came back Sunday morning and half the car was stripped!
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:44 pm

There weren't many people out at this JY yesterday in the cold, but had several stop and ask about this one while I was picking parts. They all had a fond memory of when either they or someone close to them had one...so, it's not like they weren't popular back in the day.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:00 pm

That's too bad. Should of been saved. Hate to see this. Turbine trim rings might be good to grab and put on ebay.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:39 pm

I hate to see this, most likely just needed an engine or transmission.
My brother bought a 76 Monte the same time I bought my 76 laguna. He sold his around 2000, I kept mine.
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:48 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:There weren't many people out at this JY yesterday in the cold, but had several stop and ask about this one while I was picking parts.  They all had a fond memory of when either they or someone close to them had one...so, it's not like they weren't popular back in the day.  

Steve would the Underhood Harness be the same as Chevelle ?? if so check on condition for me I can always use a spare and under dash harness

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:25 pm

I would think the under hood harness would be the same...but, not 100% sure. Same with the under dash. I'm pretty certain this car would have had the std warning light gauges and no pwr locks, windows or bench seat. No cruise, delay wipers, under dash courtesy lights, pwr trunk release...nothing but basics. Does have A/C. My problem in getting back up there this weekend is in jeopardy as we are expecting a couple inches of snow on Friday followed by sub-zero temps for lows and single digits for highs on Sat/Sun. I've noticed my tolerance for working outdoors in such conditions has greatly diminished as I get older. We'll see... sometimes, it doesn't feel that bad if the sun is out and no wind. And, if they declare another Frozen Nuts event, it would add further motivation...lol
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:36 pm

Yea mine is sweep style not round I forgot all Monte are round right ? I'm not in a hurry for it and it appears it's not gonna go anywhere anytime soon under hood one would be the main one I'm after anyways

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:16 am

If you do go back out to harvest parts from this car, I would like to request the trunk lid strap assemblies (GR 12.187); see my post for reference – https://www.g3gm.com/t13103-trade-nos-a-body-trunk-lid-hinges-for-1974-monte-carlo-trunk-lid-hinges

No Love for This '76 Monte 70chev10

I've accumulated lots of other Monte-Carlo-only parts over the decades, may as well have some extra trunk hinges. If nothing else, having them will ensure I'll never need them.

Just so you know, the pin (GR 12.186) that the strap pivots on is peened over on one end so it will need to be ground off to remove it. Another option is to cut the box (GR 12.184) from the body. Both are hassles and I certainly wouldn't hold it against you if you didn't want to do that.

One more thing, in the unlikely chance that this car has the optional passenger kick panel trash container, I would like that along with the kick panel. Always wanted one of those.

Thanks for your consideration.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by relic7680 Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:47 am

We have two Pick-a-Parts in the Jacksonville FL area, and on the rare occasion a 73-77 comes in, it's usually jungle rotted and molested pretty hard. The OP is absolutely right about the low class hacks ripping and tearing through stuff in the yard....they can't remove anything interior wise without destroying everything else around it.
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down