G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another reason I love GM cars.

+3
73ss
zucchi
Joe73
7 posters

Go down

Another reason I love GM cars.   Empty Another reason I love GM cars.

Post by Joe73 Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:44 pm

I just put my dash back in and was mounting up my Auto Meter 2 5/8" gauges.  I wanted to put them below the radio but with my Super Shifter III its a bit hard to view.  So I slid them to the right a bit and low and behold, the two bottom screws of the ash tray line up perfectly with the mounting holes on the Auto Meter bracket.  Easy install.  Just fyi.

And my oil gauge got dented because I dropped it and it hit the shifter.  Going to get another one and sell this one.  

Another reason I love GM cars.   Auto_m10
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Another reason I love GM cars.   Empty Re: Another reason I love GM cars.

Post by zucchi Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:53 pm

I absolutely hear you regarding the viewability of auxiliary gauges. I put mine on the A piller.
Another reason I love GM cars.   20210910

Not the prettiest setup but this way, my field of view never goes below the dash.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:37 am

Another reason I love GM cars.   20230810.

I needed a place for some switches & AFR gauge and fabbed this up. I can glance at the gauge without moving my head and the switches are within easy reach without having to lean to reach them. Drilled 2 holes in the bottom of the lower dash, used some large washers to distribute the load and not crack the dash. If I remove it, The holes will not be seen. Plenty of room around my leg & knee.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:58 pm

Another reason I love GM cars.   20230811

I mounted the switches for my auxiliary lights in the instrument panel next to the headlight switch.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:31 pm

Great setups! I installed the gauges in the bezel, painted the chrome outer rings of the gauge faces to match the bezel. I made my own wiring harness to run on the back of the bezel and to each sensor/power wires.

Another reason I love GM cars.   20200537

Another reason I love GM cars.   20180211
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Limey SE and Finn Monte like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:27 am

Very nice!!!  I installed 2" gauges in round holes back in the 80s.  Luckily I saved my original dash cluster and face plate which I just re-installed last week.  Been in storage since the 80s.              Another reason I love GM cars.   Dash_210
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Finn Monte Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:59 am

Hawk03 wrote:Great setups! I installed the gauges in the bezel, painted the chrome outer rings of the gauge faces to match the bezel. I made my own wiring harness to run on the back of the bezel and to each sensor/power wires.  

what gauge set is this?
Finn Monte
Finn Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:15 pm

Finn Monte wrote:
Hawk03 wrote:Great setups! I installed the gauges in the bezel, painted the chrome outer rings of the gauge faces to match the bezel. I made my own wiring harness to run on the back of the bezel and to each sensor/power wires.  

what gauge set is this?
They look like the AutoMeter 2-1/16" Arctic White gauges: https://www.autometer.com/gauges.html?gauge_size=213549&Series=13671
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:32 pm

Finn Monte wrote:
what gauge set is this?

zucchi wrote:

They look like the AutoMeter 2-1/16" Arctic White gauges: https://www.autometer.com/gauges.html?gauge_size=213549&Series=13671

That is correct. I had to round out the holes a little bit to get them to fit better. I painted the chrome bezels to match, which I think made it a cleaner look. I kept the factory speedometer and tach with a white face.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Another reason I love GM cars.   Empty Cleanest way to add an O/P gauge

Post by relic7680 Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:29 am

You can add an oil pressure gauge in place of the clock (gauge cars) by sourcing one of the old 2" mechanical o/p units out of an aftermarket three "mini" gauge set. The gauge simply clamps to the structure of the cluster using the hardware it came with and requires no drilling or other mods. Use the illumination wire for the clock and route the COPPER line for the oil through an existing hole in the firewall to a tee into the stock engine block location. Other side of the tee can be used to retain functionality of your oil light. This is the cleanest, simplest way to do this, and I honestly don't know why more people don't do it on these cars. Another reason I love GM cars.   19cb1410
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:55 am

relic7680 wrote:You can add an oil pressure gauge … and I honestly don't know why more people don't do it on these cars.
Different strokes for different folks. Speaking for myself, my original clock still works fine; I like hearing the tick-tick-tick-THUD-tick-tick… I did the "T" like you described to retain the oil light.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:23 pm

Yeah...I'm all about originality with my Monte, too. Probably because it's been in the extended family since new, is in excellent condition and have (2) Build Sheets showing factory equipment and options. On the other hand, I didn't have the same incentive to keep my '75 Laguna S-3 original (which I've since sold) because it needed a full restoration and was basically a blank slate to work with.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down