G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

muffler choices

+2
relic7680
Als 73
6 posters

Go down

muffler choices Empty muffler choices

Post by Als 73 Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:31 pm

Hello folks,
I am wanting to swap mufflers on my car, to quiet it down somewhat from what I have. My current set up was fine for my younger days but is now is a bit too loud. long drives can be deafening.
running a 489ci with 5 speed TKX.
Current set up is 2-1/2" stainless Magnaflow system. with Magnaflow mufflers and H pipe.
I have read in the past that Dynomax makes a muffler that still sounds pretty good but is more tolerable.
I'm willing to listen to your opinions about different manufactures. Recomendations?
Thx Al

Als 73
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

muffler choices Empty Re: muffler choices

Post by relic7680 Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:41 am

I'm running Dynomax Super Turbos on my '76 Sprint. They are fairly mellow at idle and cruising, but open up under full throttle.
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:13 pm

I second the Dynomax Turbos. Not obnoxiously loud...but, just the right sound.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Als 73 Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:09 pm

Are the turbos and super turbos two different models?

Als 73
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by relic7680 Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:58 am

Dynomax (division of Walker) sells the Super Turbo muffler. Other manufacturers like Thrush, Cherry Bomb, Summit Racing etc. sell their own "turbo" mufflers. This is an old school muffler design that has been around since the 60s and used to be one of the only "performance" aftermarket mufflers that was readily available, next to the glass pack.
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:05 pm

Recently had a new exhaust installed. I have 489ci also. I'm running the Dynomax super turbos with a 3" system. It's not as quiet as I was hoping for but I'm happy with it at the same time. I don't have any drone at highway speeds. I have read reviews of drone complaints with the chambered style mufflers. It is louder & a deeper sound with the 3" system. The link below is the muffler I have.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17743
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Als 73 Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:05 pm

Thank you to Relic7680, Mcarlo77, and 73ss, for your timely, and helpful, informative opinions.
I now have a direction to go in regarding the dynomax mufflers. i am confident that I will not be going too far wrong or losing performance from what I currently have. plus I look forward to a little less noise on those long drives! Thank you again, Al

Als 73
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:02 pm

Super turbos are quiet but if you’re making any power I would go to a 3” exhaust. I used the super turbos to quiet down my 540hp 427 and a 2 1/2” exhaust. The exhaust choked the car terribly. Car ran 11.20’s with open headers and slowed to a 12.05 with the exhaust to the bumper.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:21 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:Super turbos are quiet but if you’re making any power I would go to a 3” exhaust.  I used the super turbos to quiet down my 540hp 427 and a 2 1/2” exhaust.  The exhaust choked the car terribly.  Car ran 11.20’s with open headers and slowed to a 12.05 with the exhaust to the bumper.  

Wouldn't 2.5" still be ok with cutouts added that way at track wide open and street NO tickets

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:18 am

Yes a cutout would work for the track, but on the street there would be a significant reduction in power. Cutouts also lockup if not regularly cycled. Unless you are talking the manual plate removal kind, and in that case you have to deal with gaskets and taking them off when hot at the track.

If you are dealing with 450-500 hp I think you are about at the limit for a 2.5" exhaust.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down