G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Choices (WTH?)

+3
77mali
Roadcaptain S3
77cruiser
7 posters

Go down

Fuel Choices (WTH?) Empty Fuel Choices (WTH?)

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:29 pm

Okay...so, I pull up to the pumps at a newly re-opened gas station today and am a little puzzled with the fuel options presented to me.

Fuel Choices (WTH?) Gasgra10

Of course, I'm all too familiar with Reg. Unleaded (10% ethanol-87 octane) and Premium (also 10% ethanol-91 octane).  Most other stations I visit also have an in between Unleaded Plus and I assumed it was also 10% ethanol...but, 89 octane).  And most probably have E-85; although I don't pay attention much as I don't have a vehicle designed to run on it.  Anyway, this place states the Unleaded Plus is 15% ethanol (E-15) and introduces E-30 (minimum 25% ethanol) and E-85 (minimum 51% ethanol).  I was always under the assumption the E-85 meant 85% gas and 15% ethanol.  Had no idea those vehicles...or, any vehicles for that matter...could run on anything more than 15% ethanol; let alone a min. 51% ethanol.  And, have never heard of E-30.  WTF?!!

P.S.  Gotta love that the Dept. of Weights and Measures has already slapped a non-compliant tag on their Premium grade after only a couple wks of being open under new ownership.  Station sat empty for at least 3 yrs due to previous owner not paying taxes/fees.  Doesn't exactly elicit a strong vote of confidence in winning back lost customers.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Fuel Choices (WTH?) Empty Re: Fuel Choices (WTH?)

Post by 77cruiser Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:02 pm

Must be around the cities, up here we have 87/10% - 89/10% -91/10% - 91 non oxy,& E85.
77cruiser
77cruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:35 pm

E85 is actually supposed to be 85% ethanol. The number after the E tells you the percentage of alcohol in the fuel. The local Coop here has everything from non ethanol 87 all the way up to E85 with the E-fuels being at least four different percentages.

What is saddening to me is the non-ethanol 87 is the same price as 91 octane. The least difference I've seen is about $.30 up to $.80 depending on the day.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:35 am

Locally here we have one station that has RV/boat gas, with no alky in it, and it's 90 octane. I use it in my lawn tractor, and along with avgas in my Malibu, etc, and it's legal to use in airplanes that have the approval for it. Avgas here went up to $ 4.95 recently, from $ 4.70.
Don't think we will ever get rid of ethanol, which serves no purpose whatever, with all the politics involved with it.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:29 am

I've never even noticed a station here selling e-anything. And my Focus will run on e-85.
Interesting post.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:05 pm

Ugh...government needs to stop subsidizing crap like ethanol fuels and stay the hell out of the gas business altogether.  If gas were just gas, cars today would run cleaner and more efficient than with "blended" products.  Of coarse that might put the gas treatments out of business.

Jacking

This post scares me a bit since what usually happens in another looney liberal state will usually happen in my looney liberal state.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:14 pm

That looks pretty confusing. I would go to another station. I might also get mad at the guy behind the counter.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:52 pm

77cruiser wrote:Must be around the cities, up here we have 87/10% - 89/10% -91/10% - 91 non oxy,& E85.

Exactly...that's what I see here in the cities. This station's selections is a first for me. Based on number of cars (rather, lack of) that I see filling up every time I drive past, it's doubtful it will survive, anyway.

Was down in Iowa a couple weekends ago and they, like MN, are at the heart of ethanol production in this country. However, they still offer Reg. Unleaded (Non-ethanol) as an option. But, unlike last time I was there, they've now priced it about $.40/gal higher than the comparable ethanol (10%) blend; presumably to eliminate the cost disparity a consumer would realize when figuring the improved gas mileage of non vs ethanol. Prior to this, there was maybe .$10/gal difference and it made sense to buy it as the 10-12% improvement in gas mileage would more than offset the price difference. It's all a well calculated subsidy game...
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:31 pm

The boat gas here is also about $.40 cents higher. Of course using the Sta-Bil products in gas is expensive also, when we need to store engines over the winter. The company that makes Sta-Bil is also cutting a fat hog in the butt on the way to the bank. No more ethanol would put them out of the business of feeding on the public from the ravages of ethanol..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:08 pm

77mali wrote:Ugh...government needs to stop subsidizing crap like ethanol fuels and stay the hell out of the gas business altogether.  If gas were just gas, cars today would run cleaner and more efficient than with "blended" products.  Of coarse that might put the gas treatments out of business.

Jacking

This post scares me a bit since what usually happens in another looney liberal state will usually happen in my looney liberal state.

Politics aside, I haven't personally experienced problems due to ethanol in the fuel. However, the government (EPA) is pushing for a minimum of 15% everywhere and this is when I believe there will be real problems with vehicles designed for lower ethanol content. E10 can arguably be tuned the same as non ethanol fuel, but the higher ethanol content of E15 may be where systems and programs designed for non ethanol fuel will have problems that non gearheads won't know how to fix.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down