G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Test Tach

5 posters

Go down

Test Tach Empty Test Tach

Post by RossK73 Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:47 am

Hi - I have a couple of 73 tach clusters and was checking to see if the tachs can be tested before I put them up for sale. My SS came with the famed round idiot lights and I will probably leave these as they are correct to the car. Does anyone have a testing procedure that you can share? Thanx!
Happy New Year!
-Ross
RossK73
RossK73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Test Tach Empty Re: Test Tach

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:38 pm

I've got a half dozen tach clusters where I've replaced the circuit board and to my knowledge, there is no way to bench test the accuracy of them unless you have the proper equipment. You can, however, briefly touch the leads to a 12V battery to confirm the needle drops to Zero. This is a pretty good indication that at least it works. There was a well-known company named Wilcox Corvette that dealt in Corvette parts and also sold a machine they developed for something like $175 that would accurately test tachometers. Unfortunately, the business no longer exists. Kinda wish I'd have bought one...could have had a little side business.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by RossK73 Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:40 pm

Thanx Mcarlo77 - I'll give that a shot - don't care if they are precise as long as they work.
Cheers!
RossK73
RossK73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:18 am

Study the wiring diagram in your shop manual then hook up the tach accordingly with test leads.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Zed06 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:08 pm

This video might help. I did a "bench test" on the vehicle to make sure everything was working properly. That test starts at the 25 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU8ZpvgKDFc
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:28 am

Great info Mr. Head Honcho of the Poncho crowd. I will take a look at it.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by RossK73 Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:33 am

Thanx for the tip G3 - It looked like only 2 terminals were used in the test. I don't have the gauge package to connect the cluster so I will have to connect to my aftermarket tach lead to do this. I'll give that a shot when I can get my car out of storage. Much appreciated!
Cheers!
RossK73
RossK73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:20 pm

RossK73 wrote:Thanx for the tip G3 - It looked like only 2 terminals were used in the test. I don't have the gauge package to connect the cluster so I will have to connect to my aftermarket tach lead to do this. I'll give that a shot when I can get my car out of storage. Much appreciated!
Cheers!

There's actually 3 connections to make to test your tach. The 12 volt, the negative and the tach lead going to the distributor. Here's a pic for reference. When you connect your tach to the 12 volt positive lead with your ground (negative) already connected, it should move the needle to "0". When the positive is disconnected it should float up a little bit to around 500 - 1000 rpms.
Test Tach Tach_c11
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:21 pm

REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP wrote:Great info Mr. Head Honcho of the Poncho crowd.  I will take a look at it.

Glad to see you're still kicking! You're missing some great weather up here lol!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down