G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back seat lap belt suck

+2
zucchi
texdave
6 posters

Go down

Back seat lap belt suck Empty Back seat lap belt suck

Post by texdave Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:35 am

Recently, I have been unable to pull out the lap belt in the passenger side back bench. When I try to pull it out, it immediately clicks and I can't pull it out any further. It is fully retracted into the seat belt holder assembly or at least I can't push it in anymore.

I was able to pull it out before if I did so slowly. Does anyone have any experience troubleshooting or fixing a similar issue? Is there anything I can do myself or would it require a replacement? Also, what's the best tactic for taking out the bottom seats on the back bench?

Back seat lap belt suck Monte-10

texdave
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Back seat lap belt suck Empty Re: Back seat lap belt suck

Post by zucchi Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:27 am

Use a coat-hanger wire to hook it and pull it out. If it's locked, you'll need to take the assembly out of the car, disassemble it, clean it, reassemble it, then reinstall it into the car.
The seat is two pieces. No tools needed to remove the bottom part; simply lift the front edge about three inches then pull. You will need tools if you need to remove the seat back.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:32 am

The bottom of the bottom section needs to be pushed rearward while lifting up. It just has a hook on the front section that catches the frame.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:12 am

You'll need a T50 torx bit to get it out (they can be a real challenge if the threads are rusted). If the bolt is being stubborn, be careful to not let the bit slip so as to round out the inside of the head. Couple of times of that and it's game over.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:29 am

bracketchev1221 wrote:The bottom of the bottom section needs to be pushed rearward while lifting up.  It just has a hook on the front section that catches the frame.  

Might depend on model year;  mine has a bolt on each side through a wire loop.  A 1/2" or 9/16" (?) socket is required to remove the bolt to get the seat bottom out.

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore on Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

TW Monte and jpowen49 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:30 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:You'll need a T50 torx bit to get it out (they can be a real challenge if the threads are rusted).  If the bolt is being stubborn, be careful to not let the bit slip so as to round out the inside of the head.  Couple of times of that and it's game over.

You can get a bite with a pair of vise grips if need be, but not preferred.

It will take about ten thousand ft-lbs of torque to get the bolt out in either case.

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore on Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated torque requirement from one thousand to ten thousand ft-lbs)
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by texdave Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:23 pm

The seat belt is definitely locked, so sounds like I'll need to use my breaker bar and get it out.

I had tried to take the bottom bench out by pushing rearward and then up but there wasn't much give. I'll take a look at the sides to see if there are bolts there that I need to take out.

texdave
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:11 pm

If those bolts are so stuck that a T50 can't remove them, there is no way vise grips are going to work. There just isn't enough room to get a good "bite" on the heads while allowing for necessary leverage. I've tried just about everything except an induction heating tool and acetylene torch. Unfortunately, I don't own either.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:13 pm

There is a bolt down low on front of either end of the lower seat that need to come out.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

TW Monte, jpowen49 and texdave like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TW Monte Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:59 am

Bottom front edge of the lower seat has two metal loops with bolts that hold it in place. Need to remove those two bolts and then lower seat cushion will lift out.
As others have noted, you’ll need a Torx socket (T35 or T50- I forget) to remove the bolt that holds the seat belt assembly in place.
TW Monte
TW Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texdave Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:01 am

Finally got back around to the Monte after focusing on my wife's car and my Trans Am for a while.

Indeed, there were two bolts beneath the bench seat that I needed to remove in order to take it out. For future reference, it needed a 9/16 socket and the bolts were located close to the edges of the car on each side. Easy enough.

To take out the seat belt housing, a size 50 torx socket was needed. I ended up using an extension on the ratchet as well. The angle of the bolt does make it a tight fit but you can get the torx socket in there if you bend the belt buckle out of the way.
Back seat lap belt suck Pxl_2012

Thankfully the bolts weren't rusted so I didn't end up needing a breaker bar, but they were on pretty tight. There's no screws or bolts to disassemble the housing, there only seems to be rivets holding it together. As I was dreading having to drill them out and then buy a riveting tool to put it back together, I looked at the bottom and saw the issue. The belt was retracted twisted and that was causing the jam.
Back seat lap belt suck Pxl_2014

All I had to do was press against the greenest metal tab closest to the belt and to the center to allow the belt to be pulled out fully. I made sure the belt retracted without twists and that fixed the issue. From the bottom, you can see how the locking tab is more relaxed.
Back seat lap belt suck Pxl_2013

I didn't have the appropriate torquing number for the torx bolts so I just screwed them on as close to tight as they were when I first took them out and called it a day. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

texdave
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

zucchi and jpowen49 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:20 am

Count yourself extremely fortunate that you didn't have a problem removing the bolt. Beauty of living outside the Rust Belt. Anyway, good to hear it was a simple fix.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down