G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

steering column spline count

4 posters

Go down

steering column spline count Empty steering column spline count

Post by Trbulnc Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:57 pm

Away from home for work but trying to get some parts ordered.  Is the spline count on steering column at firewall 36 and what is dia of shaft? need to order new DD shaft and coupling but making sure it is correct.  thanks

Trbulnc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

steering column spline count Empty Re: steering column spline count

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:41 am

What year is your vehicle? The spline count I believe is the same for 73-76. The steering box and intermediate shaft changed for 77.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

steering column spline count Empty Re: steering column spline count

Post by Trbulnc Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:26 am

Guess I should have clarified….73. Internet says 36 but not sure. Steering box is swapped out for rack and pinion setup so I have that coupling. It’s the column side I’m scratching my head.

Trbulnc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

steering column spline count Empty Re: steering column spline count

Post by jpowen49 Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:11 am

Looked through all my pictures thinking I might have a picture that would help, but this is the only one could find.steering column spline count 100_3520
steering column spline count 100_3521
This is a 76.
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

steering column spline count Empty Re: steering column spline count

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:34 am

So you upgraded your steering box? Or did you go with an actual rack and pinion? The 77 intermediate shaft is clocked 90 degrees out from the 73-76 version. Here's a couple pics for reference. 73-76 version on the left, 77 on the right.

steering column spline count 20180612
steering column spline count 20180611
steering column spline count 20180614
steering column spline count 20180613
steering column spline count 20180810
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

steering column spline count Empty Re: steering column spline count

Post by Trbulnc Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:50 pm

jpowen49 wrote:Looked through all my pictures thinking I might have a picture that would help, but this is the only one could find.steering column spline count 100_3520
steering column spline count 100_3521
This is a 76.

Top pic is spline count I am trying to determine. I had a chassis built with a full rack and pinion so chassis shop includes that swivel joint. Ordered a D shaft and need the swivel to go on the column side spline pic you posted. Thanks for chasing down these pics for explanation

Trbulnc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

steering column spline count Empty Re: steering column spline count

Post by zucchi Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:13 am

Trbulnc wrote:Is the spline count on steering column at firewall 36 and what is dia of shaft?
The answer is 42. (Know the movie reference?)

Seriously, are you sure about 36? I counted 46 (although it could be 48) on the shaft and the shaft dia. is 15/16". You see, where the coupling pot mates with the shaft, only 3/4 of it is splined, the part where the bolt goes through is smooth. So, if the sources you're referencing are being literal, then, yes, there are only 36 splines on the coupling pot but there are 46 or 48 (I may have mis counted) splines on the shaft.

Trbulnc wrote:…need to order new DD shaft and coupling but making sure it is correct.  thanks
What's wrong with the intermediate shaft that came with the car?
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

steering column spline count Empty Re: steering column spline count

Post by Trbulnc Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:57 am

zucchi wrote:
Trbulnc wrote:Is the spline count on steering column at firewall 36 and what is dia of shaft?
The answer is 42. (Know the movie reference?)

Seriously, are you sure about 36? I counted 46 (although it could be 48) on the shaft and the shaft dia. is 15/16". You see, where the coupling pot mates with the shaft, only 3/4 of it is splined, the part where the bolt goes through is smooth. So, if the sources you're referencing are being literal, then, yes, there are only 36 splines on the coupling pot but there are 46 or 48 (I may have mis counted) splines on the shaft.

Trbulnc wrote:…need to order new DD shaft and coupling but making sure it is correct.  thanks
What's wrong with the intermediate shaft that came with the car?

Not sure about the 36 as only what I read from borgensen site. Could be 48 or 36 depending on variables and unknowns. I ended up ordering both to save time and will send the wrong one back.

It is a full chassis build for the car and the rack and pinion location doesn’t match with orig shaft so have to custom build it. The rack end is a coupled swivel the is splined and other end is for DD shaft.

Trbulnc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

steering column spline count Empty Re: steering column spline count

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum