G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock

+3
Mcarlo77
Limey SE
76 Malibu
7 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock Empty Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock

Post by 76 Malibu Tue May 21, 2024 2:41 pm

I am considering doing a bucket seat swap in my car. I want something period correct, and I was going to try to get it upholstered to match my back seat. I am not a big fan of the swivel buckets and they are apparently really expensive to get reupholstered. I did find a sent for about $700 but they are upholstered in some velour like cloth. I have seen a lot of 2nd Gen F-body seats come up. Has anyone tried swapping these in a G3? Also, would I able to use my stock bench seat seat belt mechanism?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock Empty Re: Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock

Post by Limey SE Tue May 21, 2024 3:36 pm

I am putting 1977 Grand Prix seats in Mine dumped the swivels along time ago

Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock 27294610
Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock 28079311
Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock 28552110

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock Empty Re: Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue May 21, 2024 8:28 pm

You want the ultimate in period correct bucket seats, find yourself a pair off a Cutlass Salon. This '77 being parted at French Lake Auto here in MN has a decent set in blue velour. Was out there yesterday and car is still there. Didn't pay attention as to whether the seats were still in it...but, I'm guessing they still are. May be running back out there on Thursday. If interested, I could check them out for you. Or, give them a call at 320-274-8497.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145543386101?itmmeta=01HYETGYCPFDFQXSGV9KQ9Z78J&hash=item21e30fd3f5:g:WggAAOSwqaZlnLyD
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Wed May 22, 2024 8:49 am

After 46 years I just now went away from the swivel buckets, because of the weight.

I replaced them with race buckets and then had the seat covers upholstered to match.

These are sitting on aluminum channel stock.  The seat itself (not including the swivel) went from 31 lbs to 12 lbs.

K

Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock Attachment

Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock Attachment
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed May 22, 2024 10:25 am

Those look great, Keith! And yes, the swivels are heavy. I like them, though...if, for no other reason, than for the novelty factor. Weight savings is not a concern for my type of driving; nor, do I spend long periods of time behind the wheel. So, can't really attest to how comfortable they would be on a long road trip, for example. Wish I knew of someone in the Twin Cities area that would reupholster these swivels. Visited several shops some years ago and nobody wanted to touch them. Ended up doing the ones in the Laguna myself after reviewing the PUI video. Wasn't a particularly fun job, but turned out pretty nice; although I'd stop short of calling them show car worthy.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Wed May 22, 2024 6:02 pm

76 Malibu wrote:I am considering doing a bucket seat swap in my car.  I want something period correct, and I was going to try to get it upholstered to match my back seat.  I am not a big fan of the swivel buckets and they are apparently really expensive to get reupholstered.  I did find a sent for about $700 but they are upholstered in some velour like cloth.  I have seen a lot of 2nd Gen F-body seats come up.  Has anyone tried swapping these in a G3?  Also, would I able to use my stock bench seat seat belt mechanism?  

If you have bench seats now and you are going to buckets the shoulder/ seat belt attachment  location is different and I assume the floor bolts too looking at my Fisher Body Manual. Unfortunately I have never owned a G3 coupe with buckets so I don't know the installation specifics beyond what is in  the Fisher manual. My car is a bench with arm rest.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 22, 2024 6:08 pm

My FB friend Kevin Stroh makes the brackets Needed to convert from bench to Buckets and console if wanted his Info let me know

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed May 22, 2024 9:36 pm

Great information guys. My bench seat is still good, but my vision for my car is to make a little sportier. Plus, I am pretty tall, so I am hoping I might be able to get some more room with buckets. Those seats in Keith's car look great. I have considered getting modern seats and having them upholstered to match the rears. I also like the Grand Prix seats and the Cutlass Salon seats. I'd like to find something within driving distance though, I think seats are too big and heavy to ship. That's why I mentioned 2nd Gen F-Body seats, as there were lots available.

Limey, I'd like to get that info from you. This is a long term project, just trying to come up with a plan for my car and start accumulating parts. Has anyone use his brackets on the forum?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Wed May 22, 2024 10:11 pm

76 Malibu wrote: my vision for my car is to make a little sportier.  

Do you have exterior sport striping? I mean the kind that came on the Classic models like mine. That would be a cheap sporty upgrade. Also a sport style steering wheel.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 22, 2024 10:38 pm

Not here they haven't but I know at least 14 people on FB used them with great results

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Tue May 28, 2024 4:30 pm

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:
76 Malibu wrote:  my vision for my car is to make a little sportier.  

Do you have  exterior sport striping? I mean the kind that came on the Classic models like mine. That would be a cheap sporty upgrade. Also a sport style steering wheel.

My car has pin striping, but that's it. What is the sport striping?

Limey SE wrote:Not here they haven't but I know at least 14 people on FB used them with great results

Interesting. I tried to join the FB page, but my status is pending.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Tue May 28, 2024 5:17 pm

Sport striping = Pin striping if you mean the thin double stripes along the fenders and rear quarters.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed May 29, 2024 10:32 pm

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:Sport striping = Pin striping if you mean the thin double stripes along the fenders and rear quarters.

Yes, my car has that type of pin striping.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Wed May 29, 2024 11:07 pm

OK well then you might consider my other thought which was a sport steering wheel. You could also spruce up the hubcaps if you haven't done so already. How fresh is the pint?
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Thu May 30, 2024 9:08 am

On page one of my post.

https://www.g3gm.com/t8709-update-1973-monte-carlo-body-off-frame-resto-now-with-ls

Got rid of my swivels many years ago and opted for units that would recline. And me, wanting the sportier route too! The swivels being a rigid seat stopped being comfortable for when
I was doing ...at times....1500 miles " in a week trips".

You may not go this route. Just an idea for alternatives if things dont "pan out for you".

Bucket Seats - Alternatives to Stock Dsc03211
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Limey SE, fasrnur and Finn Monte like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Finn Monte Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:00 pm

impalamonte wrote:On page one of my post.

https://www.g3gm.com/t8709-update-1973-monte-carlo-body-off-frame-resto-now-with-ls

Got rid of my swivels many years ago and opted for units that would recline. And me, wanting the sportier route too!  The swivels being a rigid seat stopped being comfortable for when

You may not go this route. Just an idea for alternatives if things dont "pan out for you".

my monte carlo will also have those pro car seats.
one of my friends has them in his Chevelle and that's what I liked about them.
Finn Monte
Finn Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:19 pm

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:OK well then you might consider my other thought which was a sport steering wheel. You could also spruce up the hubcaps if you haven't done so already. How fresh is the pint?

Yes, I was thinking of the sport wheel. Actually, I kind of like that wheel that Impala Monte has on his car. I have 5-spoke aluminum cragars on the car for wheels, they look decent, similar to a torque thrust. The paint is a little over 20 years old. It's decent, just needs some touch-ups.

impalamonte wrote:On page one of my post.

Got rid of my swivels many years ago and opted for units that would recline. And me, wanting the sportier route too!  The swivels being a rigid seat stopped being comfortable for when

I definitely see the appeal of Procars. My only issue is that I'd have to get them reupholstered to match my interior. I have a buckskin brown interior with cloth/vinyl seats.

What steering wheel is that on your car?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:08 pm

Hi 76 Malibu
The steering wheel is from a 86-88 Monte SS
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down