G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

exhaust

+8
novaderrik
74Malibu383
The Dude
Roadcaptain S3
JB2wheeler
BlackChevelleSS
Limey SE
IndyG3
12 posters

Go down

exhaust Empty exhaust

Post by coreys73chevelle Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:24 am

please tell me what muffler you think would sound the best on a 350 30 over roller motor with comp cams 327/350hp cam-

has headers with 2.5" exhuast pipes and will have x pipe.
- let me know what muffler youd go with and where you would end the exhaust at, either dumped before the rear axle or all the way out to the back bumper like stock??? thanks
::

-dynomax race bullets 4"round case 16.5" long

-flowmaster 44

-spintech proshootouts

-cherry bomb glasspacks
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

exhaust Empty Re: exhaust

Post by IndyG3 Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:21 am

If anything, stay away from flowmasters and cherry bomb glasspacks. The flowmasters in the 40 series and up seem to have a really "tinney" sound. They seem kinda cheap. The glasspacks sound kinda cruddy as well. All those other brands seem to work well.
As for location, I'm personally going to have side exits right in front of the rear tires at least for now. I've got some LT1 tips off of a Corvette sitting around and I'll see what I can do with them.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:28 am

hey run what you think sounds best corey its your ride and all of them mufflers should have sound bytes on there website to hear the difference of tone.................myself I am gonna run 3" pipes with race bullets and exit right in front of rear tires with the elky

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:04 am

Depends how loud you want it?

Im running 3" out the back with hooker aerochambers. Its fairly loud and has a different sound than most. Was fairly quite with the 396 but when I installed the 454 it got alot louder. More cubes more air...

we have on the 73 big block flowmasters. Im thinking 50 series its a fairly large muffler. Its 3" dumped down in front of the rear end. They are fairly loud as well but no interior makes it even louder. plus a 454 is more air more sound.
How bout looking at the turbo thrush mufflers? They supposed to sound pretty good and not be too loud.

exhaust SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:40 am

I hate to say it, but Chevy sounds nowhere near as good as a sb Furd with Flowmasters on it. My bb Chevy sounds good, but just does not sound as sweet as my Furd. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:41 am

I used Dynomax on a mustang GT- Had a nice "Growl" to 'em when you got on it, but otherwise just a rumble, didn't worry about PO'd neighbors.

Indy is right about the flowmasters 40's. Mine (65 289 mustang) had kind of an echo to'em. Sounded like a hurricane in a tin can. Also a little too loud for my taste.-My four year old daughter used to cover her ears and run in the house whenever I started it.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:53 pm

LOL, you aren't really comparing a $15 a piece glasspacks to $140 a piece Spintechs are you?

I've been checking out the Hooker Maxflows myself:
http://www.fquick.com/videos/new_exhaust/1800

Hey Dan, are your Aerochambers hollow sounding? I've heard them before on a Mustang, but they had a real bad hollow sound that kind of turned me off to them. Just wondering if it just happened to be that set or if that's the way they're supposed to sound.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:06 pm

I've got 3" mandrel bent all the way back with an X-Pipe and Flowmasters. Sounds great to me. I don't hear the "tinney" sound, but we're not talking about a 289 Furd motor. I mean, lets compare apples to apples here.

I've heard great sounding Flowmasters and crappy sounding ones. All depends on the power in my opinion.

My buddy is a huge fan of Spintechs, and his cars sound great. Then again, they're LS motors putting out over 600HP.

As for exit location, I like them going all the way back. Still loud to the outside world, but keeps the interior a little quieter.

If you like it... use it.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:39 pm

Spintechs all the way.
(not my car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP3kpxM0V_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npGs3vQp0Nc
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:52 am

Flowmasters sound simply awesome behind a stout small block with an X pipe..

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:44 am

My brother just put full 3" exhaust with x pipe, and Spintech prostreet mufflers on his '70 this weekend.

https://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bluebolt06/my%20videos/?action=view&current=006-1.flv
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:29 pm

i think im going to get the super pro streets
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:54 am

Thumbs up
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:11 pm

alowerlevel wrote:Spintechs all the way.
(not my car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP3kpxM0V_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npGs3vQp0Nc
sorry this is from the dead but any idea what series spin techs those are.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:15 pm

I myself love the flowmasters! I have a set on my 73 sprint(2.5 in. pipes with dump just before rear axle). My son has a 76 sprint with 2.5 in. pipes and 3 in. flowmaster mufflers. My 73 has the tinney sound, and my son's 76 has a deeper more bass sound, I love them both. Both are straight pipes with no crossover and dump just before axle. My next upgrade will be installing electric cutouts.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:18 pm

One thing I've learned, the more pipe behind the muffler, the quieter it is. Obviously, but very dramatic difference. Just putting turn downs on it was enough, that I pulled them off! Mind you I dont have a stereo in the car, don't want it!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down