G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decision Making Disorder

+5
Limey SE
74Malibu383
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
Laguna Budman
G3NUT
9 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 Empty Re: Decision Making Disorder

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:37 am

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Thanks TW, but.....TOO LATE!!
Halfway thru polishing the C3 vette wheels, done with two, just waiting to get 'em someplace warm enough to clear coat the polished two, and strip the remaining two.
If I could just get one more 40 degree day here!!
Got all the way up to 30 f today and i almost broke a sweat.
Last warm day this week apparently.
If I can get 'em to my buddy's shop this weekend, I'll finish up.

pictures/PICTURES.
I want pictures
Very Happy Head Bang
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:09 pm

pictures/PICTURES.
I want pictures
Very Happy Head Bang
Can't figure this upload out, I'm TRYING! Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 772947
WWAAAAAHHHH!!! Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 Icon_mad

Sent them to Limey-maybe he can work his magic if he gets time later.

Magically delicious LMAO

Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 Vette_10Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 Vette210Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 Vette310Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 Vette510Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 Vette_11
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Top two pics(two pics of the same wheel before) are after hot water and soap. Second two pics (also two pics of the same wheel after)are after the aircraft stripper and 3-5 coats of polish using my little palm buffer. The wavy looking stuff at about the 5 o'clock point is my house siding reflecting off of the wheel. Those spots in the before pics, especially around the valve stem hole, were kinda like pits, those were a B*&^H to get out.
Two down, and I was able to use the stripper on the other two this afternoon. It got above freezing for a couple of hours earlier.
They don't look as good as 1973454montes pro job, but I'm satisfied with it so far.
Not too hard a project, just time consuming.
Probably would have gone faster if I had had the guts to use some super fine sandpaper, but this is my first set of aluminum wheels and I felt safer using just the stripper and polish.

thanks for the assist Limey, I'll get that picture thing down eventually.

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:26 pm

wow

they looking good.

you right tho,they did look as Barf as mine did.

Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 2b4pol10
Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 100_1310

what centers are you going with? i think i have some extras that i bought off <3bay. i will see if i can find them.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:31 pm

They don't look as good as 1973454montes pro job, but I'm satisfied with it so far.
Not too hard a project, just time consuming.
I would of done them myself,but had to get ready quikly for the NMCOA Convention.The pro did it faster.
Probably would have gone faster if I had had the guts to use some super fine sandpaper, but this is my first set of aluminum wheels and I felt safer using just the stripper and polish.
I would not of known what to use,and would of been stuck doing nuttin but putting the rallies on it.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:32 pm

Going with the vette centers for the moment, I got three fair caps and a really crappy one with the wheels, the flags are kinda faded on the fair ones and the fourth one is faded worse and cracked.
Gonna order the lugs here in just a few.
Also gotta touch up the satin black paint in the center and around some of the slots. Bought a couple of those narrow sponge paintbrushes and some masking tape today, get that done, shoot the clear, mount 'em up and i'm zoomin'

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Going with the vette centers for the moment, I got three fair caps and a really crappy one with the wheels, the flags are kinda faded on the fair ones and the fourth one is faded worse and cracked.

order the right ones,DONT buy aftermarket Jacking
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:39 pm

can you still find NOS? or does GM use 'em on something else?
I was just looking at the ebay links you posted a while back.

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:42 pm

GET TO WORK ON BROWNEYES WHEELS RAGO, YOU SLACKER!!! Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 Icon_pirat Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 Icon_clown
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:can you still find NOS? or does GM use 'em on something else?

GM does not make them any more,and if you find GM they could be 6.00 apiece Crying or Very sad

but there are some on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-80-81-TRANS-AM-WS6-ALUMINUM-WHEEL-LUG-NUT-SNOWFLAKE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem29fa3f9cfbQQitemZ180292132091QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/75-81-CAMARO-TRANS-AM-LUG-NUT-SET-ALUM-WHLS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eab060303QQitemZ200437793539QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/77-81-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-LUG-NUT-SET-SNOWFLAKE-TURBO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9d643145QQitemZ320468169029QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

heres what else they came on
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Trans-Am-snowflake-turbo-lug-nuts_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5639605648QQitemZ370329802312QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
(just watch out for the ones that are stamped with 7/16) dont buy these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LUG-NUTS-FOR-CORVETTE-CAMARO-IROC-Z28-TRANSAM-ELCAMINO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f1010bceQQitemZ300396121038QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Going with the vette centers for the moment, I got three fair caps and a really crappy one with the wheels, the flags are kinda faded on the fair ones and the fourth one is faded worse and cracked.
Also gotta touch up the satin black paint in the center and around some of the slots. Bought a couple of those narrow sponge paintbrushes and some masking tape today, get that done, shoot the clear, mount 'em up and i'm zoomin'

heres some new caps with no emblem,you can put something else on besides the flags.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CENTER-HUB-CAPS-73-79-CORVETTE-BRAND-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56397dbee4QQitemZ370331729636QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

heres the chrome set

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CENTER-HUB-CAPS-78-80-82-VETTE-BRAND-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem56397dcdf8QQitemZ370331733496QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:10 pm

I think I'll go with the black/chrome cause they will look a little better against the black wheel center, should look good with the white car black laguna stripe thing-thanks for the links.

Might be cool with a bowtie instead of the flags in the center....HMMM.

Just figured out that Wilcox Corvette that was one of the links you sent me is right across the river in Jeffersonville Indiana. I don't really care to breathe that air over there, Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 Icon_razz but it will save me on shipping-plus they were cheapest
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:04 pm

[quote="Roadcaptain S3"]I think I'll go with the black/chrome cause they will look a little better against the black wheel center, should look good with the white car black laguna stripe thing-thanks for the links.

I have the 81 wheels,so i dont have the black center.but i did go with the chrome/black centers to go with my black theme. I also have the corvette steering wheel with the flag horn button.
Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 100_2511

You can buy this horn button center and have it match your wheel centers. Very Happy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-80-Corvette-HORN-BUTTON-Emblem-W-O-TILight_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c0f788e40QQitemZ120518643264QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Might be cool with a bowtie instead of the flags in the center....HMMM.
I can use these also.same cap just monte emblem.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/81-88-CHEVROLET-MONTE-CARLO-LS-NOS-CENTER-CAPS-4-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c0ffd2979QQitemZ120527333753QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:32 am

1973 454 MONTE wrote:

order the right ones,DONT buy aftermarket Jacking

I bought aftermarket lugnuts. The backs fit fine, but the fronts... well I won't say what I did to make the front lugs fit. Embarassed I'm gonna get some correct lugnuts for them & maybe go with some corvette centers. Does anyone know if other center caps will fit? I'm thinking like Chevelle SS or maybe even just swapping out inserts? Mine didn't come with center caps so I'm clueless here.

BTW, the wheels are getting polished here in a couple of days while I got Brown Eye tore into a hundred pieces. Arrow I'm not saying much about what's going on yet other than the engine swap, but expect an update on the project in the near future. Wink
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:40 am

I FEEL A OLDS BIG BLOCK BEING SHIPPED TO ILLINOIS

YOU ARE GETTING SLEEPY YOU ARE GETTING REALLY SLEEPY SHIP THE BBO TO ANTHONY'S HOUSE NOW WHEN I COUNT TO 3 YOU WILL WAKE UP

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:42 am

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:42 am

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:43 am

OK i WILL LOOK FOR THAT SPECIAL PRESENT REAL SOON THANKS BUDDY

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:31 pm

You can also use the 86-88 monte SS wheel center emblems.I forgot I have the sticker on my spare wheel.
Decision Making Disorder - Page 3 Corcap10
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks! I now have one more option to look for. Thumbs up

Oh & Limey, I don't know if I want to sell the 455 just yet. It was basically a backup in case something happened to the 455 I was building but now it & the Cutlass are sold. I had thought about dropping it into one of the Chevelles, but I really want to try out an LS motor. The 455 had been sitting for a few years uncovered so it definitely needs an overhaul. I'd guess it would take more than .030 to clean up.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:01 am

thats kewl just scored one anyways from a derby buddy he is selling me it from a car he just picked up, he said it has a very slight lifter noise he said coming from an older like 71 72 delta 88 and already scored the C cast heads from another friend, just hung up the phone from him

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:50 am

Good old C castings. You can't go wrong there. Very Happy If it really is a 71 or 72 motor, it should have G castings which are decent heads also. They were good enough for 71 442's anyways. Look on the block when you get it & see what the casting says. It should be like F3 or close to. The lower the number the better the nickel content... or so the rumor goes, lol. Either way you won't be working with a silly putty Chevy block so +1 to you.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:01 am

no I have got the heads from another person they are C cast heads.....

and plus the complete 455 carb to pan minus front pulleys

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:53 am

Yeah I got that. I guess I worded it wrong? What it should have read is that the C castings are good, but G castings are almost as decent & that's what should be on the motor. I believe I have some flow numbers if you want me to throw them up on your project page.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:13 am

yes sir go for it .............LIMEY OUT

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE