G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

took the monte to get a wheel alignment

+4
novaderrik
coreys73chevelle
Limey SE
1973 454 MONTE
8 posters

Go down

took the monte to get a wheel alignment Empty took the monte to get a wheel alignment

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:34 pm

I went and picked it up and the guy told me that i need a gear box because there is no more adjustment and there is slop in the wheel.

its nice to watch people stare at an old car on a flatbed.its like they want to ask about it,but think that i'm just the driver and not the owner. Wink
took the monte to get a wheel alignment W-a_da10
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

took the monte to get a wheel alignment Empty Re: took the monte to get a wheel alignment

Post by Limey SE Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:44 pm

well time for a flaming river steering box conversion I guess now HUH

Last edited by Limey on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

took the monte to get a wheel alignment Empty Re: took the monte to get a wheel alignment

Post by coreys73chevelle Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Limey wrote:well time for a flaming river steering box conversion I guess now HUH
yeah!
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:12 pm

an 80's Monte SS/GN steering box is a bolt in swap, with only a different rag joint (dorman 31011), pressure fitting on the back of the PS pump, and PS lines from an '80 Camaro needed. use your current Pitman arm on it and enjoy the tighter steering.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:24 pm

I put a 74 Z-28 steering box in mine. Direct swap, no other modifications needed, and MUCH tighter steering.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Mine is in the shop now, they are replacing the bushings and control arms. Said I will need to replace the steering column but not right away. Hopefully after the alignment today, it will have more control on the road. I wonder how bad it is, now that I am used to driving newer cars. I remember that my old car had just as much play in the steering as this one. I don't really know how to judge what "normal" is on a 75 anymore!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:03 pm

I remember seeing a complete writeup on what would work. I can't remember where, but was probably over at CT. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:51 pm

There is a few places in Hemmings that rebuilds the stock one and will tighten it up .
I have a steering box outof a 85 Monte SS in my basement. It a direst swap to the 77 huh? Maybe I might have to do that one Saturday morning.

Chris mine in my 73 is kinda loose too. I think all that weight does it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down