G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bumper questions

+11
74Malibu383
orange Juiced
74MonteCarlo
JB2wheeler
bigredlaguna
1973chevelle
IndyG3
novaderrik
jrsixx
McCauley5983
dragons_lair59
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

bumper questions Empty bumper questions

Post by 77malibu77 Fri May 21, 2010 8:07 pm

first off does anyone like how the front bumper on a gmc sprint looks where the turn signals go in??? cuz i changed my front bumper to that one today

second off, does anyone have any pictures on how to tuck in the front bumper real nice? and also the rear bumper on a 77 malibu (any 73-77 should work rite)?

Last edited by 77malibu77 on Fri May 21, 2010 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to say something)
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

bumper questions Empty Re: bumper questions

Post by 77malibu77 Fri May 21, 2010 8:12 pm

http://listingsmgr.wheelerd.com/upload/f907deb8-f5d0-4ee9-94a4-a53194e23aa3.jpg

there is a pictuere of the front bumper on a gmc sprint i am talkin about does this look any good at all lol
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri May 21, 2010 9:35 pm

come on any body even have tips on the bumper looks?

and where can i find like a lock washer or something for the bumper bolts to the frame (theres 4 bolts on each side of the bumper and each side all 4 bolts are attached to each other by a piece of metal) every time i try to put my bumper on or off the bolt frame thingy keeps falling out when i miss the hole because the metal washers rusted off
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri May 21, 2010 10:08 pm

a. from what i see the bumper is the same
b. lowes and home depot or any hardware store have lock washers
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri May 21, 2010 10:11 pm

Let me dig. There is a tutorial for tucking the rear bumper on here somewhere. I even posted it sometime this week for another member. There is also a tutorial by BlackChevelleSS for the 73 front bumper when he tucked mine. Unfortunately the 73 had a totally different set up that is different than later G3's. I'm trying to find a way for it to work on my 76, but the best thing I can think of is getting a 73 set up & tucking it.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri May 21, 2010 10:15 pm

man ok well show me whatever ones you can find whether its 73 or any of those years
i cant imagine how i would tuck the rear bumper maybe cutting up the frame inside the bumper but sounds too risky
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri May 21, 2010 10:18 pm

dragons_lair59 wrote:a. from what i see the bumper is the same
b. lowes and home depot or any hardware store have lock washers

yeah they basically are the same but it looks funky looking at it from one of the corner angles

and thx about the lock washers!! What a Face
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri May 21, 2010 10:19 pm

no problem
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Sat May 22, 2010 12:24 am

they are a bit different, but i cut out almost all of the inner structure behind the front bumper on my 74 Monte Carlo. i left just the part that bolts to the bumper shock. i can even chop some more out if i want to save a few more pounds.
i weighed the metal i already took off, and it was in the neighborhood of 35 pounds.
as for tucking it in, i'm going to take out the bumper shocks totally which should pull the bumper back about 4" and put it right under the grille. then i'm going to kind of wrap the corners of the bumper in tighter to the side of the fenders to really clean it up.
on the back bumper, i'm just gonna take the shocks out and section about 1" or so out of each side to pull the ends in.
a Monte is a bit different than a Malibu, but they came off the same assembly lines and are built basically the same so the same procedures should work. it just takes time and talent..

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat May 22, 2010 12:35 am

On a Malibu, you don't want to try to mount it without the shock. You would have to fab up adapter plates since the bolt holes don't line up with each other. Also I believe this would bring it in too far. Haven't measured, just doing some eyeballing.

Rear bumper tuck:
https://www.g3gm.com/body-f6/sucking-in-the-bumpers-76-bu-t155.htm

Front 73 only bumper tuck. Again, the later models have a totally different bumper brace & shocks. Take what you can from it because the green car is now sitting at my house & I have both bumpers in front of me..... still clueless on how to do the 76.
https://www.g3gm.com/body-f6/bumper-sink-in-t273-15.htm#1679

Another example:
https://www.g3gm.com/g3-project-pictures-f10/my-new-bumper-tell-me-what-u-think-t438.htm?highlight=bumper

That thread reminded me that Jonny O was going to attempt this. Where's he been? Surely he's done the bumper tuck by now.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat May 22, 2010 11:58 am

haa thx rago it gave me an idea of what to look forward too
but the only thinga bout the rear bumper is i want to keep it chrome and dont want to cut it up like that
i just want to sink it in about 2 inches or so, and i dont have access to a welder so its a little bit tougher
but the only thing i can think of is to cut/shorten about 2 inch wide piece from the frame inside the bumper long ways and weld it back together or make a whole new bumper frame
and as the front bumper goes, i want to do the samme thing just like 2 inches or so but this looks impossible without the 73 set up unless i removed the shocks altogether and made something to bolt it to Neutral
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat May 22, 2010 2:05 pm

k so i took out the frame piece on my front bumper
and it ended up rusting a hole through my front bumper so now i have to fix it and rechrome it, anyways that frame weighs a lot and i dont want it back on my car but is there anything i can do to mount it to my car without the frame in it? right now i have it sitting on the front where i want it and it looks really nice just cant seem to think of a way to mount it =/
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sat May 22, 2010 2:11 pm

post some pics of what your workin with the frames are all the same so the bumpers cant be that different and i know you can put the newer bumpers on 1973 models so if worst comes to worst just change out the set up to older version
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat May 22, 2010 2:17 pm

There was a major writeup on this over at Chevytalk about a year or so ago. Go over there and do a search in the section for G3s. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat May 22, 2010 3:52 pm

billy-ray i dont have any way to get pictures on here
and i have no way of locating the front bumper sections of a 73 so thats out of the question
i was just thinking about cutting the whole middle section of the frame out and bolting the bumper to the pieces on the side it would reduce weight and might work lol but i am only going to shave off a little bit at a time so i dont mess up

and jb i cant find anything on that site its hard to navigate through
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat May 22, 2010 4:42 pm

Yes, its hard to do, but it can be done if you get lucky. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat May 22, 2010 7:49 pm

ok so heres what i did today,
everything inside of the black box i cut out now i just have the 2 end pieces
btw this is a pitchure of the reaar bumper and i am working on my front bumper

bumper questions 32688910

and btw this isnt my picture

but i just have the 2 end pieces and i am going to shorten it inward

(if you look at the 2 pieces from the top i am going to take about 2 inches out of the top and weld the 2 pieces back together and put a plate under neath and weld it in for extra strength and that will shorten it just how i want it on my 77 malibu
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sat May 22, 2010 8:07 pm

billy-ray wrote:post some pics of what your workin with the frames are all the same so the bumpers cant be that different and i know you can put the newer bumpers on 1973 models so if worst comes to worst just change out the set up to older version

I'll try to get some pics up if I get time. The frames are the same, but you would be surprised at the difference in shock mounts. To do the tuck, you might end up having to find a complete 73 front bumper, shocks, & all of that. It ain't happening on a later model without some good ingenuity.

ChevyTalk sucks & so does TeamChevelle. That's why we're here. THE BEST & ONLY SITE devoted to ALL third generation A-Bodies! Very Happy Razz Beer

^^^^Shameless plug for the day. Smoking
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by jrsixx Sat May 22, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm doing front and back on my 77 cutlass. I'm going with fiberglass instead of chrome because mine were gone(front), rusted and bent(rear). I'm keeping the inner support structure...cuz I'm chicken, I drilled out the bumper shocks (be careful, they aren't under alot of pressure, but they will spray oil). I plan to "adjust" them in with a sledge, then redrill through both the outer and inner shock and put a bolt in it to hold it. I'll post some pics when I do it.

jrsixx
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sat May 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Rago wrote:ALL third generation A-Bodies!

Not all 73-77's A-Bodies are 3rd Generation. The 73-77 Monte is 2nd Generation and the 73-77 El Camino is 4th Generation. Should be renamed "The Colonnade A-Body Site/Forum"...

Just sayin.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sat May 22, 2010 11:43 pm

77malibu are you keeping part of the inner bumper section? I'm just curious since I've always been under the impression that you could get rid of all of the internal parts and just use the bumper itself. Would a pair of brackets that mount to the bumper work just as well?
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sun May 23, 2010 1:12 am

IndyG3 wrote:77malibu are you keeping part of the inner bumper section? I'm just curious since I've always been under the impression that you could get rid of all of the internal parts and just use the bumper itself. Would a pair of brackets that mount to the bumper work just as well?

yeah you can use a pair of brackets but you cant really remove the whole shocks and bolt it directly to the frame cuz it would look like a dork fish with an overbite (if you have ever watched blue collar comedy) lol but how would you bolt the shocks directly to the bumper itself?
the only thing i can think of is to do what somebody did on the 76 laguna earlier in this thread and drill holes in the bumper and put bolts through it but i only want my bumper sunk in like 2 inches so i dont want to bolt it directly to the shocks
i am just using the end pieces because it shaves weight and i can eventually cut 2 inches out of the inner structure pieces to whatever length i need them at to either stretch out my bumper ,or sink it in (which is what i am doing)
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sun May 23, 2010 1:15 am

IndyG3 wrote:77malibu are you keeping part of the inner bumper section? I'm just curious since I've always been under the impression that you could get rid of all of the internal parts and just use the bumper itself. Would a pair of brackets that mount to the bumper work just as well?

this is what i am talking about you could do if you are just wanting to bolt the bumper to the shocks/frame
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Sun May 23, 2010 1:26 am

74MonteCarlo wrote:
Rago wrote:ALL third generation A-Bodies!

Not all 73-77's A-Bodies are 3rd Generation. The 73-77 Monte is 2nd Generation and the 73-77 El Camino is 4th Generation. Should be renamed "The Colonnade A-Body Site/Forum"...

Just sayin.

actually, the Monte and Grand Prix weren't even considered to be "A" bodies withing GM- they were designated either or "A special" bodies (68-72 GP and 70-72 MC) or "G" bodies (73-77_..
but that's kind of outside the scope of a thread about tucking in bumpers..

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sun May 23, 2010 1:28 am

77malibu77 wrote:

this is what i am talking about you could do if you are just wanting to bolt the bumper to the shocks/frame

I was just figuring that you remove the shocks and inner bumper assembly and make a bracket to mount the bumper to.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next