G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bumper questions

+11
74Malibu383
orange Juiced
74MonteCarlo
JB2wheeler
bigredlaguna
1973chevelle
IndyG3
novaderrik
jrsixx
McCauley5983
dragons_lair59
15 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

bumper questions - Page 2 Empty Re: bumper questions

Post by 77malibu77 Sun May 23, 2010 12:00 pm

yeah thats one way
or u could drill a hole in the shocks and push them in and weld them
but i am trying to lose weight off the front also
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sun May 23, 2010 6:40 pm

alright so i want to save my self some welding and i want to drill holes in the gas shocks and sledge them in and put a bolt
but has anyone done this before i dont want to mess anything up does anyone have pictures of how to do it or anything to help i lost a lot of weight off the front
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973chevelle Mon May 24, 2010 12:35 am

i dont like how the lights slant down
1973chevelle
1973chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon May 24, 2010 11:32 am

yeah me neither i dont like how its from a gmc but what are you gonna do lol
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon May 24, 2010 3:16 pm

ok bump on this question

has anyone ever drilled in the bumper shocks and compressed them and put a bolt through it?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon May 24, 2010 6:16 pm

ok i hate my computer first off

second off i am just going to drill them since no one on here has any info or has never done it
all the info online is positive info and just says to wear gloves and goggles because fluid sprays everywhere just wish i could hear from someone whos done it on a g3 for refrences
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue May 25, 2010 4:47 pm

alright last time has anyone drilled in the bumper shocks to sink it in
or has anyone made any custom brackets instead of using the bumper shocks
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue May 25, 2010 5:08 pm

Re-read this thread. Last time I'm posting this for ya, LoL! The first few posts are exactly what you are wanting to do.....
https://www.g3gm.com/body-f6/bumper-sink-in-t273.htm
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue May 25, 2010 6:02 pm

lol rago that just tells me that its pointless to drill the holes thx on that
but it doesnt tell me how to sink in my b umper =/

unless i have the 73 set up which i dont

ill probably just wait til i can get ahold of a welder and then ill worry about sinking in the bumper lol cuz i cant think of anything
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 am

ok so ive been thinking about this all night i might have a way to do it let me go try it out today and see if it will work Very Happy might take some skill to do
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 2:23 pm

OK SO I OFFICIALLY JUST SUNK IN MY FRONT BUMPER
took some careful maneuvering and a lot of cutting but i got it and it works and it looks really good
i only sunk it in an inch and a half but its good for right now
the best part is if i want to sink it in any farther i could do that if i wanted to or if i want it back to stock or even all the way sunk in flush with the headlights lmao!
i didnt drill in the shocks/ or mess with them in any way, the only way i did it was just cutting up the frame inside the bumper and it also took off a ton of weight!!! the technique i used might even work for the rear bumper to bolt directly up to the bumper shocks

i am so happy with how it turned out Thumbs up

the only thing is its hard to explain and i cant take pictures so i really cant help any of you do it unless i get ahold of a camera
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed May 26, 2010 2:34 pm

NO CAMERA???!!!!! Dang it. So how did you cut the bumper frame & get it to mount up? Did you have to weld or is there some other mounting point that brings it in? I ask because I have thought this over for a while & can't seem to figure it out without going to 73 mounts or welding. I have an idea, but I'm thinking about cutting the bumper frame, flipping the mounting points, & re-attaching. Still don't know how that would turn out though or if it's possible.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 2:45 pm

no rago there is no welding involved cus i have no access to a welder lol!

alright ill try to do my best at explaining and use this picture to help

bumper questions - Page 2 32688911

alright everything in the black i cut out notice i still left the 2 holes on each end where the bumper frame bolts to the actual bumper shocks so you will have 4 bolts holding the bumper onto the car all together, and what i did was i slipped both of the ends over the inside of the bumper shocks normally they bolt to the outside and i put a bolt though with a spacer inbetween cut to the desired length i wanted it at and attached the bumper to the 2 end pieces of the bumper frame then tightened the bolts with the spacers between them and now it looks professional all i need to do now is take everything back apart and paint it again because the paint got all messed up, the best part it supports my weight too and will support yours too rago lol!

let me know if there is something you dont understand i tried my best to help you lol

Last edited by 77malibu77 on Wed May 26, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 2:47 pm

and btw i am going to do the same thing for my rear bumper to sink it in, it will look just like the picture right there
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 2:50 pm

and before you do any cutting make sure you leave enough places to bolt the bumper to the bumper frame lol i have 4 bolts on each side holding the bumper frame pieces to the bumper itself then 4 bolts total holding the whole bumper to the car
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed May 26, 2010 3:19 pm

So you did what I just mentioned & it worked? That's awesome! I kept thinking it could, but I just didn't want to butcher my bumper & be stuck with nothing.... Bet you dropped about 50-60 lbs off of the front end.

If you want to lose some more weight, there are crash bars on the inside of the doors that reportedly weigh as much as the bumper frames. Supposed to make opening & closing the doors much easier. I haven't done it for fear of losing that extra protection in the event of getting sideswiped. When the 76 gets it's next motor & it becomes a single purpose car, I'm going to though. GoFast
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Rago wrote:So you did what I just mentioned & it worked? That's awesome! I kept thinking it could, but I just didn't want to butcher my bumper & be stuck with nothing.... Bet you dropped about 50-60 lbs off of the front end.

If you want to lose some more weight, there are crash bars on the inside of the doors that reportedly weigh as much as the bumper frames. Supposed to make opening & closing the doors much easier. I haven't done it for fear of losing that extra protection in the event of getting sideswiped. When the 76 gets it's next motor & it becomes a single purpose car, I'm going to though. GoFast

well i didnt flip them around i kept it facing the same way they are made to face, i just flipped it on the other side of the mounting part and got new longer bolts for itand put a spacer between them that was an inch and a half long

yeah i saw you posted something about that how would i be able to get it out tho? dont i have to cut it out?
ill probably mess with that once i get my new doors in a week or so after i swap them with the camino's

i still have the rear bumper to sink in yet hahah, ill post how that goes once i get it started or something Surprised
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 3:42 pm

and btw i could ask one of my friends to take a picture of it and send it to my email to put it up on here ill let u know
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed May 26, 2010 4:54 pm

I believe you just cut out the inner structures. I KNOW that's been done on here, just can't remember who done it.

Here is what I'm thinking of. Sorry for the very crude drawing.
bumper questions - Page 2 Untitl11

Basically cut everything out that's not needed, leaving only enough to bolt the inner & outer bumpers together & bolt that to the bumper shocks. I'm thinking this set up would require you to bolt the inner bumper to the frame first & then to the outer bumper. Just not sure if it would work. I'll wait to see what you are talking about because I don't really understand what you are saying you did.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 6:55 pm

alright rago took me 30 minutes to draw this up on paint it should tell you exactly what you need to know i didnt flip anything except what you do is those slots i cut out where the 2 bolts are left those slip over the round part of the bumper shocks

bumper questions - Page 2 How_i_12

and the spacer you can make to whatever length you want the bumper to sink in, i might end up changing it from 1.5 to 2 inches to sink it in a little more
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 7:04 pm

heres how the front of it should look as it is attached to the car

bumper questions - Page 2 Front_10
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed May 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Gotcha! After I re-read your previous post, it makes sense. Good innovating...

Wonder how that would hold together in an accident with those longer bolts & the bumper being connected on the back side like that? Not that I would plan to ever rear end someone, but stranger things have happened.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 pm

haha glad you were able to under stand what i was saying like i told you it would be really hard to explain without seeing a picture

and like we all say we dont plan on getting into an accident but im sure there is a way to make it extra strong all i really want is it to be mounted on the car and not to fall off but to look really sharp also Cool
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed May 26, 2010 7:50 pm

and i am sure you could drill holes and add more bolts if you want or open up the holes a little wider for thicker and stronger bolts and put 2 nuts on the end instead of one so if it pushes the first one back it will lock onto the second one and wont budge
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Wed May 26, 2010 8:02 pm

If you wanted to keep the inner bolts to the bumper shock, is there enough room to drill new holes for the inner bolts?
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next