G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

converting quad headlights to base model single headlights

+3
77malibu77
Jedediah
1973montec
7 posters

Go down

converting quad headlights to base model single headlights Empty converting quad headlights to base model single headlights

Post by 77malibu77 Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:34 pm

what all would i need if trying to convert from my quad headlights to these base model headlights?
they are off this 76 el camino and steve(mcarlo77) is the one who showed me this and might be able to snag if the price is right. thanks guys

converting quad headlights to base model single headlights Elcami10
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

converting quad headlights to base model single headlights Empty Re: converting quad headlights to base model single headlights

Post by 1973montec Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:37 pm

when you take the header, unplug the light harness from the firewall under the booster and take it also. you should be good to go.
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

converting quad headlights to base model single headlights Empty Re: converting quad headlights to base model single headlights

Post by 77malibu77 Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:42 pm

ok thats what i thought i didnt know if i needed the whole wiring or just the part where it connects to the headlight. thanks any more tips guys?? just want to be sure i get everything.... rago should be able to help me out since he owns a base model and im sure has owned a quad headlight one lol
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:49 pm

wow 77 you got alot of good parts cars near you. This one has a pretty nice body on it as far as the pic shows. You lucky dog. I am gonna have to get good at welding a fabbing to get my car 100%.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:32 am

When did 76 ever have single headlights? You can swap the headlight housings to single lights on the Monte Carlo's, I wouldnt doubt you could do it on the Elky's and Chevelle's too. Are the grilles the same? Sometimes you need to swap that too, to make it look right. Like if I put single round headlights on my 76 Monte, the grille wouldnt match anymore. But you can swap the entire header panel.

Last edited by JiMi_DRiX on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:56 am

I have two sets of the quad type, but not the single types for my '75 project. I may have to use the quads until I get enough parts to put the single type in. I see that the one in the picture has later type bezels, since they look different than my '74 Malibu. Maybe '73 & '74 are the same (?)
The fenders are the same, the header is the same, so the parts should be interchangeable.
Some of the earlier brackets for the grille may be different, like '73.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 am

JiMi_DRiX wrote:When did 76 ever had single headlights?

Are we seriously still having this conversation? Dual headlights ONLY came on Malibu Classics. Chevelles, base Elkys, Base wagons, & obviously Lagunas had single headlights. Also something to note is the fact that the Chevelle had large quarter windows vs the Malibu Classic & Laguna having opera windows. Not real sure on Monte Carlo, but it's probably safe to assume all had quad headlights.

My first 76. Bought from original owner.

converting quad headlights to base model single headlights 76_che10

My most recent 76. Bought it all original down to the paint & wheel covers.

converting quad headlights to base model single headlights Brown_12

No Brandon. I've never had a quad headlight car, but the suggestion given by 73montec should be correct. Pila, you are also correct. Notice how the bezel is much larger than the 73-74 style. 75-77 had the same bezels for single headlights.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:34 am

Jedediah wrote:wow 77 you got alot of good parts cars near you. This one has a pretty nice body on it as far as the pic shows. You lucky dog. I am gonna have to get good at welding a fabbing to get my car 100%.

no it aint near me its actually more closer to you. its in minnesota
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:36 am

ok cool. but im pretty sure i wouldnt need the center header panel or the grille or anything because it looks the exact same
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 am

Shouldn't, but keep in mind that base models have plastic grilles that weigh nothing. Not sure if you are toting around one of those pot metal anchors like the 75's had, but it's something to consider.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:13 am

yeah i would love to have one but take a look at that picture up there again ^^^
on the bottom part of the grill, a piece is broke off
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 am

Bummer, I didn't see that.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:21 am

Rago wrote:Bummer, I didn't see that.

yeah that was the first thing i noticed about the car besides the single headlights.
imagine how it would look on my el camino. it doesnt matter my grille on my elcamino is plastic anyways
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:44 am

Hey...been following this thread on the single headlight conversion from the '76 I found. So, what's the final consensus...is it just a headlight bucket and wiring harness issue? Too bad they just crushed a '76 Malibu Classic and another one is missing it's front end...as I could have used them as a cross-reference on the header panel question.

If I could ever figure out how to post pics, I would be glad to keep everyone abreast of new arrivals...as well as existing stock sitting out there. Another yard further away must have 30-40 mid-70's "A" bodies sitting around...but, they rarely get any new arrivals. Still, lots of good parts.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:12 pm

If you can get the image on your computer, click the icon with the picture & floppy disc to host it. The just copy & paste. If it's already hosted, copy the image location & put [ img] & [/ img]on both sides without the spaces. If you still have trouble one of us admins will be glad to help post the pics.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:12 pm

I have a parts book that covers '71 thru '77 Elco/Sprint. I'll dig around in it to see what fits what.
It appears the the later single HL castings may be a bit different than the earlier type, by the way the bezel screws are located closer to the front.(?) Parts book may tell the story.

My '74 Malibu has the heavy cast grille, which isn't perfect, but still nice. I have an extra one, which needs re-chrome.
My project '75 Elco didn't have a front facia when I bought the body in spring '09, so what I have is '77 parts for the front end. And I would like to use single headlamps for appearance
I have one side, the other casting was broke & got tossed.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:37 am

Rago wrote:
JiMi_DRiX wrote:When did 76 ever had single headlights?

Are we seriously still having this conversation? Dual headlights ONLY came on Malibu Classics. Chevelles, base Elkys, Base wagons, & obviously Lagunas had single headlights. Also something to note is the fact that the Chevelle had large quarter windows vs the Malibu Classic & Laguna having opera windows. Not real sure on Monte Carlo, but it's probably safe to assume all had quad headlights.

I havent been around the forum in a long time, so I must have missed all that discussion. and being that I'm mainly a Monte guy, I know little about the details of the Camino's and Chevelle's. All the Monte's in 76/77 had quads. But now I know... and knowing is half the battle. cheers
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:02 am

It's OK Jimi. Just razzing a little. If you were to make a comment on Monte Carlos, I'd be in the dark too so no biggie.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down