G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BAD gas mileage.

+11
BlackChevelleSS
pila
bigredlaguna
74Malibu383
SeeTen
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
ss2323ss
The Dude
lagunainnewark
JB2wheeler
74chick
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

BAD gas mileage. - Page 3 Empty Re: BAD gas mileage.

Post by pila Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:02 pm

If it's the 2-bbl 2GC, they had worse mileage than the Q-jet, mostly because of the small primaries of the Q-jet, from what understand. GM got away from the 2bbl because of that, from what I've read about the subject. I believe the Q-jet is the best street carb, for all-around driving. The Holley on my Malibu works great, but it likes gas to the tune of 9 MPG. Thought about getting a Sean Murphy Q-jet for it.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Mine is knocking down 15 and 20 in normal driving with the 305 and the 2GC. Q-jet could probably kick that to 16-17 and 22 if I keep out of the secondaries. The Q-jet is the superior carb in all honesty.

That swap is in the works, but I'm waiting until I'm ready to do a rebuild on the whole mess, since it needs valve stem seals, and I've got a set of big-valve late model 305 heads to swap on, and If I pull the heads, I might as well pull the pan off and re-ring it since its got 150,000 miles on it. And and and and and.

In otherwords, I'll live with the 2 barrel till I'm really ready for a rebuild.

The 2-jet is really a 1950s design, obsolete even by the standards of the '70s. Just a bigger bore version of the carb that came on the original 265 in 1955.

The Holley is a similar vintage design. Both work, and both give mediocre mileage, one gives great power. Both are dead simple to work with.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm not putting on a Q-Jet lol. It got great mileage BEFORE the engine was removed and repainted.

I have a Holley 2 bbl off a '76 Chevy Van. Wont work on mine though.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:02 pm

I would check for leaks, maybe its leaking just enough to evaporate and not show up obviously, check all rubber hoses and connections.

BAD gas mileage. - Page 3 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:00 am

I got to thinking, I had a carb from my 76 that I had sitting on the shelf for 10 years, and the original carb on the 77 had some major issues with the choke and idle quality. I swapped the carbs out, fully expecting the carb that was last rebuilt during the Clinton administration to give me fits. It worked great, sawdust and all on it.

It's still seems to me you've got a major fuel leak. Like either the float is stuck and is flooding the engine, or the fuel pump is leaking internally into the engine.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:20 am

wouldnt the oil smel like fuel if it was leaking into the crankcase? reason im asking this is because my mileage isnt that great and i know the pump is weak. i just ordered a new one, ill see.

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:14 am

I've smelled the oil...does NOT smell of fuel.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Smell isn't exactly a good sign. Mine didn't smell since engine temps are hot enough to evaporate the gas in the crankcase. It also has fresh air drawn in continuously while the engine is running thanks to the PCV system. I finally noticed mine when I was tuning it up, and had it running, and saw the puddle of gas under the car with it running, it had finally bled past the vent on top of the diaphragm.

Sounding like it's a possible fuel pump, or a stuck float in the carb, take the top off and check to make sure the float moves freely. You shouldn't need a new gasket for the top but kits are cheap as well.

Performance is good? Mine had a bad vacuum advanece and ran great, just had so-so power at part throttle, but would pull well at WOT.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Maybe the dist loosened up a little check your timing might be to far back and thats causing the problem. Give it a little more while you are at it, the factory spec is not enough anyway.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:27 pm

Timed at 12 degrees.

8 is factory

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 pm

O'Rielly has a fuel pump for my car for $18.99.
Jus' gon' bite that damn bullet, and get the sum'bitch.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:29 pm

Welp...new fuel pump is on. Oil was nasty from the fuel leaking in it. So, I changed that and put a bottle of Seafoam in the fuel tank. Timeta jus' sit back and wait... silent

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3