G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE????

+9
gcmarchi
pila
dragons_lair59
bigredlaguna
badtemper44
JB2wheeler
The Dude
ant7377
Biomedtech
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? Empty OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE????

Post by OnTheBottle Mon May 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Could this possibly be an SE? The front clip was replaced, you can see the paint is far from matching. The drivers side fender used to be brown, and has holes for trim, the rest of the car doesn't. The hood has a really clapped out molded in scoop, and the paint on the header is severely cracked.
OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? 77_che10

The interior is swivel buckets and console.
OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? Int10

But the wing certainly looks like a original SE one to me.
OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? Wing10
OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? Wing_210
OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? Wing310

Originally I was thinking of redoing the nose, then maybe adding a 4" cowl hood, and keeping the 74 look. But now that I know a little about the 77 SE's I'm leaning towards restoring this to original.
OnTheBottle
OnTheBottle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? Empty Re: OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE????

Post by JB2wheeler Mon May 16, 2011 6:43 pm

It looks like the whole car used to be brown. Did you buy the car? What about that white onw down the line? JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? Empty Re: OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE????

Post by Limey SE Mon May 16, 2011 8:22 pm

I am gonna say no for all the SE's got the louvers on the 1/4 window's and someone could have covered them but would not know why ?? the spoilers looks close dang close.

And why do the 1/4 window openings look smaller to me ?? like a monte size or even a cutlass

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBottle Mon May 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Yeah, I bought it.

The car looks like it was originally silver. The trunk underside, door jambs, and insides of the doors under the door panels, and even the floor where the carpet is pulling away from are all silver. The only brown is on the inside of the drivers fender. (That spot on the drivers 1/4 in the picture is surface rust where the paint it chipped down to metal)

The white car is my 77 Cutlass S. That car is another mystery, where the seller claims it was a 442, but was in a front end collision, and had the nose replaced with a supreme one because it was easier to find. Seems like lots of pieced together G3's in Phoenix....lol. Must be all you rust belt guys driving the price of stuff up so high, we gotta make do with what we can find...lol. (Now that car for sure used to be brown)
OnTheBottle
OnTheBottle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBottle Mon May 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Limey wrote:I am gonna say no for all the SE's got the louvers on the 1/4 window's and someone could have covered them but would not know why ?? the spoilers looks close dang close.

And why do the 1/4 window openings look smaller to me ?? like a monte size or even a cutlass

This is what the add I found it under said.
1977 MALIBU CLASSIC SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION 350 very rare only 50 made w/ rear spoiler for Daytona 500

I wasn't able to find anything out that came up anything like that. The owner had passed away, and his whole collection was being sold off by his daughter and son in-law. I guess I missed out on the 57 Chevy 2dr HT, and a Stingray Corvette. The price they were asking was fair for any 77 Malibu, so I got it.
OnTheBottle
OnTheBottle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon May 16, 2011 8:44 pm

still got me baffled about the window louvers for the side windows they all got them ??? Maybe they got damaged and they filled the holes

ANY WHOS GET THAT SPOILER TO A FIBERGLASS SHOP AND IF YOU DONT KNOW ONE i KNOW ONE THAT MAKES CAR BODIES UP HERE CALLED VFN FIBERGLASS THEY HAVE QUITE A BIT OF STUFF FOR ME AND I GET A DISCOUNT

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBottle Mon May 16, 2011 8:56 pm

I thought the louvers just went in place over the windows? I found one on ebay, but not a set. I'm afraid to buy one, then find a set later.
OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? 10-110
OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? 77_che11

I've got a fiberglass guy here, he's kinda backed up making trophy truck bodies, but he's local, and I like his work.

I was actually thinking about bringing him the wing, then my Cutlass, and then the Buick Century so he could make wings that fit all 3 models.
OnTheBottle
OnTheBottle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon May 16, 2011 9:06 pm

thats a dam good idea and no there is two holes on front side of widow to bolt them louvers in let me find my old pic

OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? Newrimsfrommoney007

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Mon May 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Sign me up for a spoiler when someone gets a mold made!
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon May 16, 2011 10:13 pm

All that rust free stuff makes me drool.I gotta take a vacation down there with some dough.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon May 16, 2011 11:57 pm

[img]OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? 2-212[/img]
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue May 17, 2011 9:26 am

I'm curious to see if the stripes are still hiding under the paint. Also, how do you explain the lack of louvers on this car? Look close, there's no holes. Possibly they ran out of window louvers on some of the final cars?

OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? 11-1
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue May 17, 2011 9:35 am

Rago wrote:I'm curious to see if the stripes are still hiding under the paint. Also, how do you explain the lack of louvers on this car? Look close, there's no holes. Possibly they ran out of window louvers on some of the final cars?

OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? 11-1

Since there was no Laguna option in '77, would the holes even be there in the first place? The dealership may have taken out the studs and attached the louvers some other way. I see evidence of a louver being there in this pic because of the pattern of discoloration in front of the 1/4 window.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue May 17, 2011 10:34 am

I see them too now that you mention it, but no holes for the louvers & this is certainly the original paint. OTB, I'm saying that if you find those stripes hiding underneath the paint somewhere, then take pics & document it. Too bad there wasn't any original documentation that was sold with the car. Oh yeah, put me up for one of those spoilers too if they are cheap enough when you get them built.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue May 17, 2011 1:14 pm

I would like to put louvers on my '74 Classic, since the original plastic trim around those little windows fell apart before the restoration. I thought about fabricating some from stainless steel and polishing them. Just another brain fart ....... Very Happy

I wasn't even aware that an SE model existed. ( I don't get out much....)

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue May 17, 2011 1:33 pm

pila wrote:
I wasn't even aware that an SE model existed. ( I don't get out much....)
It was a very limited production available at only one midwestern Chevy dealer. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by badtemper44 Tue May 17, 2011 3:32 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:Since there was no Laguna option in '77, would the holes even be there in the first place? The dealership may have taken out the studs and attached the louvers some other way. I see evidence of a louver being there in this pic because of the pattern of discoloration in front of the 1/4 window.

I had considered using the double sided trim tape to attach a pair I have that have broken studs.
badtemper44
badtemper44
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue May 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Just noticed that you can see a louver on the other side if you look through the back window, so they had to have glued or taped them on.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:Just noticed that you can see a louver on the other side if you look through the back window, so they had to have glued or taped them on.

yes i see that hmmmmmmmmmm wonder whats up LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Wed May 18, 2011 5:20 pm

maybe sold more then factory produced and added replacement parts to loaded cars to keep up with demand?
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed May 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Kinda sad to see pics of those Chevelles sitting in the grass, rusting away......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by gcmarchi Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:24 pm

The factory Laguna window louvers are secured by (2) screws from the inside at the bottom edge of the louver. The "C" puillar cover needs to be removed for access.
gcmarchi
gcmarchi
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by gcmarchi Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:57 pm

OOPS, my bad. After seeing another post by Limey about the holes for the louvers I went out and used a flashlight to locate the actual screws that hold in the louver. They are on the front edge, and as I recall they go on very tight so I don't know if tape will hold them.
gcmarchi
gcmarchi
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:49 pm

I thought there were 2 nail-studs that held them to the roof on the outside, like the vinyl top chrome trim? I assumed the rest of it clipped in around the operas. Could some one post a pic as I am planning on getting a pair...(pretty please!).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:20 pm

OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? Bumper10

There is a lip on the opposite side of srews it holds the back side in while the front is torqued down with screws

OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? F612c314OK, Here is what I have. 1977 Malibu Classic......SE???? Edf5930b

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next