G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

+40
pila
dynchel
Mcarlo77
Joe73
driveit
Hawk03
Fishgrinder
1973 454 MONTE
bracketchev1221
Limey SE
chevellelaguna
1973montec
Bruisr
bigredlaguna
jerry46765
BicknellWelding
geoff528
2fat2fly
Jim_Rockford
DiscoMalibu
Brainstain
Laguna Budman
Dubie
74MonteCarlo
JB2wheeler
WyldeBill66
Wallyuph
dragons_lair59
77ElClassic
Dead Man
Graham Perkins
jrb75
chromereverse
Checyxtc
74Guna
texan01
abajc3
JiMi_DRiX
orange Juiced
HDHugger
44 posters

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Go down

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 14 Empty Re: 1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

Post by 77mali Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:28 pm

74MonteCarlo wrote:My car needs a new core support...ugh. Everythings looking good...love seeing pics of your progress

Can't you fix it? Even if it's rusted through she can be welded up...no?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 14 Empty Re: 1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

Post by 74MonteCarlo Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:36 pm

It might be able too...one of the body mounts is almost all the way through.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Was testing clearances on my semi- home made engine test stand, cam breaker-inner thingy. Headers cleared but will need a heat shield for the wood to be safe.
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 14 P1040719

Started some assembly. Rear main seal is in but lost 1 bolt...Cam & lifters are in and rods & rocker assemblies are in loosey-goosey.
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 14 P1040720

Timing chain installed (set to 0* with cam) not sure if I should be advancing to 4* before TDC?) Anyone advancing or retarding timing by 4 degrees?
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 14 P1040721
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:10 pm

lol! ....forgot to line up the timing marks on the sprockets. Gonna stick with it @ zero degrees.

Good thing I double checked myself before installing the cover & pan, etc. That would have sucked.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 pm

I really like the blue silicone rubber pan gaskets. Very Happy You planning on running that engine on that stand ?? It would be safer when it's bolted in the car. One touch of the throttle may tip the whole works over from the torque..... BE CAREFUL !
Advancing the cam like 4 degrees, makes for more low end power/torque, which makes good sense for a daily driver. Retarding the cam is better for high RPM power. Straight-up may be the best way for you.

BILL

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:42 pm

I was looking at the timing marks on the gears and thought that didn't look right. I'm glad you caught it too. That could have ruined a whole lot of work, and made a whole lot more. Good catch.

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:25 am

pila wrote:I really like the blue silicone rubber pan gaskets. Very Happy You planning on running that engine on that stand ?? It would be safer when it's bolted in the car. One touch of the throttle may tip the whole works over from the torque..... BE CAREFUL !
Advancing the cam like 4 degrees, makes for more low end power/torque, which makes good sense for a daily driver. Retarding the cam is better for high RPM power. Straight-up may be the best way for you.

BILL

The stand will be screwed to the floor in the shop via some large metal straps & now that I've thought about it a little more the wood & casters will be taken off during the break-in process. The four large bolts that connect the wood to the cradle make it easy to remove. I'll use some solid 4" concrete blocks as a base also so the headers are off the floor. No worries Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:35 am

WyldeBill66 wrote:I was looking at the timing marks on the gears and thought that didn't look right. I'm glad you caught it too. That could have ruined a whole lot of work, and made a whole lot more. Good catch.

I've been real sick with a bad cold. I'm blaming it on the medicine. Wink
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:19 am

Not to press the issue, but how are you going to cool it during the run-in ??

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 am

The core support & radiator are also out- it'll be just like the thing is in the car, minus the torque converter & trans. Also getting a small gauge set up & small tachometer. Will run gas in via a small 2 gallon tank which will be attached to the core support on the opposite side of the engine- if that makes sense.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:33 am

I'd also put the biggest fan you can find in front of the rad when she's running.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:49 am

What's wrong with the fan on the engine? Not enough cooling power?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:04 am

The engine fan wont pull near the cfm a good drum fan will put out. The engine wont be moving pushing air into the rad. A fan in front of the rad will help give it the additional cooling as if it were driving.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:13 am

Oh, I see what you mean...thanks for the tip- I do have a decent fan that can do that job.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:41 pm

OK, that sounds like you have a plan !! Very Happy The extra fan is a good idea & suggestion. One other thing, if you are running just a flex plate on the engine, it will rev QUICK ! Even quicker than with an aluminum flywheel. Just so you are prepared Very Happy Flat tappets ? 2200 for 25-30 minutes, as you likely already know, and NO idling. I forgot which lifters you have in there..
Hope it goes good during the break-in...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:55 pm

I have Magnum roller rockers which are designed like the flat tap style but w/ the roller on the bottom. If I bolt on the torque converter will that help decrease the high rev? I could do that and plug the shaft no problem. Thanks for the heads up. I don't think I'll be doing anything until this weekend at the earliest. Hope to post a video of some of it. I have yet to fully read the Comp Cams instructions and want to get some Joe Gibbs BR oil for the 1st run. I loaded the cam up with the red lube that came with it & I bought some Lucas Oil equal for the bottom of the lifters as I ran out. She should be good to go but I still have to put all the "tins" on yet, oil pump, fill the new lifters with oil and lash the heads. I might also opt for a new distributor cap too to be safe.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:58 pm

The valve lash is easier to adjust if the lifters aren't too full of oil, so that you can see the plunger in the lifter move, while setting the pre-load. Is that oil you mentioned, a non-detergent type break-in oil ?
It will be a great feeling for you when you get it running & broke in !! Beer

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:14 am

Yes the Joe Gibbs "BR" is a high zinc oil and it has other chemicals in it too that is designed for the break in process. They also have a "racing oil" similar to the Valvoline race oil that is avail @ NAPA for regular use.

Did you catch the torque converter question? Wondering if it will help with flywheel rev you mentioned previously? Thank you Bill.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 14 P1040910

Last edited by 77mali on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added pic)
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:40 pm

I didn't see the converter question, but an empty converter bolted on the flex plate should work fine to help it not rev so quick.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:13 pm

Did Mali make it through the storm ok? Its outdoors right?
I'm still without power, running off the generator. At least the beers cold.
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:46 pm

Amen to that!!!!
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:00 am

BicknellWelding wrote:Did Mali make it through the storm ok? Its outdoors right?
I'm still without power, running off the generator. At least the beers cold.

Sorry to hear you have no power Phil- I got to get me a generator & cut down a few big a$$ trees. I'm glad to hear you have a generator but if you need anything call me. Mali lost her 2 year old car cover (ripped to shreds) but I have a HD tarp under that & its strapped down to the frame. We got lucky no major damage in our area & we have power when the other half of the street doesn't- go figure.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:30 pm

That tarp will cause rust issues. It can not breath and will trap moisture under the tarp. I have my two remaining cars in the garage now and have a new car cover I would give you if you lived locally, but you can buy a cover for what it would cost to ship it. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:27 pm

Your probably right JB. None of these so called "waterproof" car covers actually are waterproof- only "weather-resistant". In a hurricane it doesn't matter how many layers they have. The tarp I use is reinforced and fire-rated and is totally waterproof. I am using Por 15 products, so I'm not too worried about the rust. After the car gets further along I'll put it in storage to keep it out of the elements.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Fixed the timing set up
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 14 P1040812

Installed oil pump, pick up screen & shaft, timing cover rear main & oil pan.
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 14 P1040813

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 14 P1040814

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 14 P1040815

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 14 P1040816

I might have used a little too much black Hi-temp in the corners...LOL
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next