G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Level Of Difficulty?

+3
1973 454 MONTE
pila
77mali
7 posters

Go down

Level Of Difficulty? Empty Level Of Difficulty?

Post by mrimax Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:27 am

Well the next project I'm contemplating is the exhaust. With my back history and recently just having knee surgery I figured I'd check into what it would cost for a company to install a new exhaust on my 73 Grand Prix including removing the old and putting headers on straight out the back. I was taken aback a bit by the 775 dollar price which did not include the headers for the car.

So I'm back to looking at doing it myself and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the level of difficulty on this car. As usual one side access appears to be pretty easy but the opposite side no so much. Also anyone have any suggestions as to what brand would be the best fit and also short or long tube? Thanks for any advice , it is appreciated....

Joe

mrimax
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Level Of Difficulty? Empty Re: Level Of Difficulty?

Post by 77mali Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:31 am

I have long tube headers. Not sure on GP vs. Malibu as far as differences but my exhaust has triangular type bolt unions w/ gaskets except the tails, those are press fitted. They are bolted & gasketed to the headers also. On my car I have to remove the starter & spark plugs on the pass. side and & not a problem to slide up w/ car on the ground. On the other side- removed the oil filter, & disconnected the trans linkage (& lifted the car a bunch) to get the headers out to paint them. Plugs were out at the time. It's not hard just time consuming but I have a full size starter which is kind of heavy when your under the car LOL. Hooker headers BTW. Not positive of the size but large. Good luck.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:15 am

Joe ,in most of those kits the tail pipes just do not exit right.I had mine bent by and exhaust shop so the look factory. The kit is 500 plus the mufflers and it might not look right. Its just that they make it to cover too many cars. Might be worth the 775.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:25 pm

chris just had new exhaust put on his new 73. 2 1/2 from manifolds to bumper with 3" tips... 325.00 out the door. pipes bent just like factory.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mrimax Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:56 pm

Thanks, looks like I'll be doing it myself. I just don't understand the way people set their prices. I took my Challenger to the same guy and got a price of 300 from the headers back. I'll have to see what they will charge if I put the headers on, and then they finish it. Probably more cost effective. Thanks for the replies

mrimax
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:59 am

Maybe try to find a set of NOS tail pipes or see if the guy can just bend you a set and take them home and use them. See if maybe a old parts store still has a set in stock
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Summit has a pair of 2 1/2 inch A body tail pipes for $125.95 bucks, from Flowmaster. Page 72 in the latest catalog..FLO-15802....I'm thinking of using a pair on my Elco project, since stainless tail pipes don't seem to be available...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:52 am

You can still get mufflers and tailpipes from Napa.

Here is the Pontiac detail of parts available:

Level Of Difficulty? Pontiac

Here is the Walker Online Catalog: http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/catalog_default.asp

Anything in the catalog is available at Napa. The key is finding a Napa dealer that doesn't rape you on the price.

Thanks -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:59 am

Here are headers from Summit; $126 for cheapest set:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/1973/Make/PONTIAC/Model/GRAND-PRIX/Part-Type/Headers/?Ns=Price%7cAsc
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:13 am

jerry46765 wrote:You can still get mufflers and tailpipes from Napa.

Here is the Pontiac detail of parts available:

Level Of Difficulty? Pontiac

Here is the Walker Online Catalog: http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/catalog_default.asp

Anything in the catalog is available at Napa. The key is finding a Napa dealer that doesn't rape you on the price.

Thanks -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-Intermediate-Pipe-45498-/370552509239?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5646a69337
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:26 am

Wow. Summit sells Walker....

I don't even want to know how much I overpaid.
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:16 am

That is is the way I would go (Walker). I didnt know they were still available. The flow master kits tailpipes looked terrible on my car. Get all the hangers too.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by mrimax Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:31 pm

jerry46765 wrote:Here are headers from Summit; $126 for cheapest set:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/1973/Make/PONTIAC/Model/GRAND-PRIX/Part-Type/Headers/?Ns=Price%7cAsc

Thanks guys, the above I believe is per side, not for the set. I'm not looking for the cheapest, but more for the easiest install. Thanks for all the suggestions.....

mrimax
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:35 pm

WHAT ABOUT THE 2 1/4" complete exhaust system allready made for 175 in the classified's

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down