G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hollander Interchange Manual

5 posters

Go down

Hollander Interchange Manual Empty Hollander Interchange Manual

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Now the proud owner of a "new" 47th Edition Hollander Interchange Manual that covers our cars...and all other Domestic cars/trucks from about 1969 through 1981. Part numbers, too. Even wheel information. So, guess I can be the designated archivist if anyone has a need to cross-reference. Just need to familiarize myself with it.

Hollander Interchange Manual Hollan10

Anyone have a need for a Mitchell Engine Performance Service and Repair Manual that covers Tuneups, Computer Diagnostics, Fuel Systems, Emissions for '86/'87 Domestic cars? It came with the Hollander and I have no need for it. Make you a great deal!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hollander Interchange Manual Empty Re: Hollander Interchange Manual

Post by 77mali Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:57 pm

LOL....and the 1st question is.....Those darn window belt line moldings!!!!!

How much are those things??? (The Hollander I mean).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Well...wouldn't you know it, the manual doesn't cover the beltline moldings. Nor does it cover dual hump crossmembers. Was surprised to learn that not all "A" bodies share the same hood hinges. The factory wheel and wheel cover section is kinda cool to look at. Anyway, hope it can be put to good use.

Picked it up on e-Bay. Like most used items on there, price can be all over the board. This one is lightly used and I paid $60 for it.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Hollander Interchange Manual Empty interchange shocks

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:32 pm

Does the interchange manual cover shocks? In my parts manual they have some obscure description which implies these parts were sold in a different manner. Just to remind I have a stock 76 Chevelle sedan. My shocks are indicated as (front 4975449-1154101/ rear 3189125-1154095). Thanks
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:02 pm

It does cover shocks...but, does not give GM part numbers. Fronts cross over to all '73-'77 GM "A" bodies with no differentiating between coupes/sedans/wagons or el caminos/sprints. Also includes '75-'78 Nova, '75 Apollo, '75-'78 Skylark, among a few additional GM models.

Pretty much the same with rears...but, there is a wider range of years covered.

My '77 Monte still has the original spiral shocks. It came with the optional (D85) Heavy Duty Suspension. Have never found any reference to those part numbers, either.

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hollander Interchange Manual Empty coil springs

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:44 am

Sorry to bother but as others on this site have found, coil spring replacement is not easy. I have the parts manual chart and obtained the requisite part numbers but apparently current coil springs  don't match them or at least don't cite their springs as interchanging with the GM parts. Does the Interchange manual have coil springs? As I noted elsewhere my 76 sedan is a stock rebuild.

FWIW my indicated part numbers are front  3998629 or 6272883 (better) / 485722 rear springs
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:40 am

I had this issue with my 1968 hearse on a Cadillac commercial chassis – for those who are curious, Cadillac didn't make hearses and ambulances, they only made the chassis. One of the front springs was broken; it broke near the end of the coil thus was still contained within the socket. I discovered that Cadillac had dizzying array of different springs depending on model and accessories. I can understand there being a difference in weight between a fully optioned car vs a striped down base model but you would think any difference between equally equipped 4-door brougham and 4-door coupe de ville would be negligible, yet they had different part numbers. Mad  I was made aware of a place in (I think) Florida that fabricates springs to your specifications but I couldn't find any specs such as length or thickness of the rods used to make the springs, number of coils, height of spring at rest and height of spring when installed with weight of car… I ended up rolling the dice and made a "seems like this one may work" selection from Rock Auto. After install and running for a few months, I measured the ride height, compared it against the shop manual and I'm about 5/8" above "ideal"; I can live with that.

As for your car, Rock Auto doesn't seem to have any for your car but a quick internet search resulted in a place called Eaton: https://eatondetroitspring.com/db/es-partsinquiry2.php?syear=1976&smake=Chevrolet&smodel=Chevelle%20Classic&sbody=4+DR+Sedan&seng=V8+5.7L+-+350cid

Good luck.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:54 am

That's fantastic Steve. I used Hollander in my line of work for over 45 years in the parts world. Hollander is a nice tool to have for sure. I'm sure you're aware of the A B C D and so on of the interchange. Although some will look at it and say one part might not fit another car, but if you look at those ABC's you can see that other cars will fit with some modifications.
As for 76Malibu's shock question, there are size charts that you can find the shock that fits. I've spent many an hour looking for shocks for all kinds of odd ball applications. My shocks are from the later B body cars. Those were heavier cars and work great on my old Turd.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Hollander Interchange Manual Empty wow thanks

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:41 am

zucchi wrote:

As for your car, Rock Auto doesn't seem to have any for your car but a quick internet search resulted in a place called Eaton: https://eatondetroitspring.com/db/es-partsinquiry2.php?syear=1976&smake=Chevrolet&smodel=Chevelle%20Classic&sbody=4+DR+Sedan&seng=V8+5.7L+-+350cid

Good luck.

Wow the trouble you went to for your hearse/ambulance. Thank you so much for the Eaton link. Some of the springs are offered elsewhere but not mine. Not cheap but what can you do? FWIW I did find one another more modern rear spring that at least states it interchanges with 485722 - Lesjofors Rear Coil Spring 4412118 (price is 160 vs 224). For those who don't have the GM chart 485722 is the heaviest stock replacement for the chevy 76 sedan.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:47 pm

Hollander Interchange wasn't much help.  They only show generic interchanges for coils.  I referred to my 1977 GM Chevrolet Parts Illustration manual and they confirmed your rear springs as #485722 for "sprung weight" of over 686 lbs using FR78-15 tires...over 701 lbs using GR70-15 or GR78-15 tires...or, over 736 lbs using HR78-15 tires.  BTW...your stock "sprung weight" for the rears is 699 lbs.; and, add to that various options added to the car.  Your stock "sprung weight" for the fronts is 890 lbs...but, the part numbers shown in my manual do not match what you are showing regardless of added weight for options or tire sizes.  Attached is a list of options they show with added weight in determing final "sprung weight".  Hope this helps.

Hollander Interchange Manual 20230411

Hollander Interchange Manual 20230410
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Hollander Interchange Manual Empty sneaky updates

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:27 pm

Thanks MCarlo. Believe it or not the 77s have different front coil part numbers compared to 76! (378585 vs 2672883)

Also GM had the sneaky habit of updating their specs in later years. I am referencing the 76-81 Parts manual and their (updated) base front weight for the Classic sedan is 943 pounds while the wagon is 968 and the Coupe is 895. With the options on my car it is well over 1000 pounds up front and over 750 in the back.

As far as their specs go, I recommend always checking up to 5 years after the initial date. They seem to give up adjusting after 5 years.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down