G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting Interior Plastic

+10
Mcarlo77
77mali
dynchel
tmd171
texan01
orange Juiced
Tom77
pila
lagunainnewark
ant7377
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Painting Interior Plastic Empty Painting Interior Plastic

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat May 26, 2012 2:01 pm

Okay...as nice, original interior headliner/sail panel plastic trims become next to impossible to find without showing some sun-fade, I keep getting asked about results of painting these interior plastic trims. I've heard the SEM products yield very good results. Can someone who's used this product give me a testimonial as to results and also, what prep work/product was needed; i.e. cleaners and adhesion promotors? SEM shows several prep products for plastic. Which one is best suited for these hard plastic parts? I've played around with the Krylons and Dupli-Colors formulated to paint plastic, but wasn't particularly thrilled with the glossy finish. It looks unnatural to me. I actually used a Super Fine (0000) steel wool to lightly buff some of the gloss away.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Painting Interior Plastic Empty Re: Painting Interior Plastic

Post by ant7377 Sat May 26, 2012 3:56 pm

I used satin black from SEM to paint the parcel shelf (behind the rear seat) came out really nice the sheen is just right. They sell prep products as well but I just wiped it with simple green and then a damp rag and let it dry then painted.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by lagunainnewark Sat May 26, 2012 8:30 pm

I've used SEM products on my interior trim panels, I went from black to medium/light blue. They offer a flexible primer, light gray, which I used due to the drastict color change. Coverage is good, I still went with two to three light coats. My prep work consisted of scrubbing the panels with hot soapy water(dawn, no residue), then I wiped them down with isopropal alcohol, and air dry. The previous owner had the original panels painted with SEM, it has worn well for 5 years. Any other questions let me know, Ron
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat May 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Not sure this fully answers my questions. Sounds like you painted over a previously painted trim and as such, wouldn't be painting directly onto the plastic. In that case, I can see where just a primer would suffice. But, they recommend an adhesive enhancer when painting directly onto the plastic...yet, show several types for different types of plastic. Let's try this...anyone know their plastics well enough to know what type of plastic these trims are made of?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by lagunainnewark Sat May 26, 2012 9:09 pm

I bought another set of interior trim panels, I painted the black ones to light blue to replace my original ones. Ron
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat May 26, 2012 11:32 pm

I used the paint and plastic conditioner from NPD, on my Malibu interior. The conditioner, or whatever else it's called, seems to soften the plastic, to make the paint stick better.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat May 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Personally, I've used SEM soap (Cleaning vinyl & Plastic) and then SEM XXX (triple X) adhesion promoter. I have not used their paint for plastic but rather the Duplicolor version with good results. The soap is generally used with a "scuff" pad to get all the grime out of the nooks in the textured plastic, use a dish type sponge with a softer backing for the smooth vinyl. The key is cleaning, priming with the adhesion promoter and not painting when it's too cold or too humid. If there is enough moisture in the air you can get in big trouble. I'm sure SEM is just as good as the Duplicolor. They have a very good reputation, for me personally it's just harder to get it and it's more expensive.

Here's a b4 & after of my steering wheel. It's not perfect but will do for now. Will be doing a second coat and experimenting with a "clear" for plastic too for protection- that I've not tried yet.

Painting Interior Plastic Dsc01213

Painting Interior Plastic P1000314
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Sun May 27, 2012 7:29 am

Nothing wrong with that. Looks good to me. Very Happy
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun May 27, 2012 8:44 am

Thanks Ghost! If you look close there's a bit of the color under the Chevy logo along where I had to reinstall it back into the horn pad. Will be taping it for the 2nd coat to avoid that again. Was trying to spiff up the logo-lol.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Sun May 27, 2012 10:46 am

Not sure if this the exact one, but its one of their products listed. My buddy uses this at his paint shop when he he has to paint anything plastic, trim, bumpers, engine pieces, or interior trims. Still prep as normal, spray this before the primer

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=1&prodid=56
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun May 27, 2012 11:26 am

Excellent! This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for to ensure a proper, long term bond on plastic. I typed in my state (Minnesota) for where to buy it and there are four locations. Looks as though you maybe need to have a commercial acct....or, know someone in the paint business who can get it for you?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Sun May 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Not sure how it is in your neck of the woods, but over here the automotive paint suppliers sell to the public. Also Ebay has them listed too

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bulldog+adhesion+&_sacat=0&_odkw=bulldog+adhesion+promoter&_osacat=0
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Mon May 28, 2012 6:53 pm

I've used SEM and it is great stuff. However SEM doesn't make a green that comes close to my interior and I found Krylon does.

So far I used SEM cleaner and soap, and some prep spray, then sprayed it with Krylon, in thin coats, and so far after a year of use and all sorts of exposure it's been just it was the original color of the plastic.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue May 29, 2012 9:57 am

I have dealt with this problem for years. Bull dog is better then no adhesion promoter at all but still lifted in spots. I even have sprayed with regular PPG base coat and cleared the plastic with Auto clear and a flattening agent in it the clear and it was still popping up. I now use SEM all there products from start to finish. I get my products from my local Orielly’s auto store.

Check out the technical data sheet on this page for instruction I have touched on below.
http://semproducts.com/product-catalog/flexible-coatings/color-coat/

Here are the steps I use.
Handling and Application
PREPARATION: Vinyl:
1. Clean first with 39362 SEM SOAP and a gray scuff pad.
2. Rinse with water and dry. If contamination still exists, water will bead on the surface. Repeat
this step until beading no longer occurs.
3. Clean thoroughly with 38343 VINYL PREP using a clean lint free towel and wiping in one
direction.
4. Rinse with water and dry.
Plastic:
1. Clean first with 39362 SEM SOAP and a gray scuff pad.
2. Rinse with water and dry. If contamination still exists, water will bead on the surface. Repeat
this step until beading no longer occurs.
3. Clean with 38353 PLASTIC/LEATHER PREP.
4. To promote adhesion on ABS, PVC and other similar plastics, apply a medium wet coat of
38363 SAND FREE. COLOR COAT should be applied while 38363 is still wet. As the
38363 evaporates, the COLOR COAT is drawn into the surface creating excellent adhesion.
-ORTo promote adhesion on TPO, EPDM, PP and other similar thermoplastics, use 39863
PLASTIC ADHESION PROMOTER or 77723 XXX ADHESION PROMOTER.
TECH TIP: If the type of plastic is unknown, place a drop of acetone on the back of the plastic and rub
it with your finger. If the plastic smears and melts, use 38363 SAND FREE for your adhesion
promoter. If acetone does not have an affect on the plastic, use
39863 PLASTIC ADHESION
PROMOTER or 77723 XXX ADHESION PROMOTER.

Then top coat with light coats of SEM Color of your choice.

39362 SEM SOAP
http://semproducts.com/product-catalog/prep-products/scuff-and-clean/
is specifically designed as a first step cleaner for all repair and refinishing procedures.

77723 XXX ADHESION PROMOTER
http://semproducts.com/product-catalog/specialty-products/xxx/xxx-adhesion-promoter/

39863 PLASTIC ADHESION
PROMOTER
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue May 29, 2012 3:51 pm

OMG, Wally...this is the most thorough explanation of how to deal with this issue that I've ever read! In all due respect to everyone else who shared their experiences and recommendations, this is exactly what I was hoping to get from someone who has repeated experience working with these products. I'm going to print this out and save it. Nice to know O'Reilly Auto carries SEM, too. Thanks, man!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue May 29, 2012 4:16 pm

You are so welcome. SEM has the correct sheen to it like the factory has. O'Reillys has a about body catalog they gave me a few years ago. If you go online and type in the part numbers it will pull up. They stock it in there warehouse and will get it to your store by the next day for you. It's no guarantee it will not peel or flake off or scratch. But with the SEM you can touch it up easily. I sprayed my 73 with a custom mixed DBU PPG color and sprayed it with clear with flattening agent in the clear to get a lower gloss. Just like you would the outside paint I scuffed all the plastic with a grey 3M scuff pad and used Bulldog adhesive promoter on it. It still peeled off. I will be sanding it down and going with the SEM like I have explained here. It is the process that holds up the best for me over the years I have been doing this.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tmd171 Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Does anyone know which red/maroon matches the interior plastic for a 74 chevelle?

tmd171
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:52 pm

First, you need to determine whether your car has the Oxblood Red or Maroon interior. Check your cowl tag and post the numbers/letters if you need help deciphering.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:40 am

Wally,
I'm getting ready to spray swivels and console. I've got the Lt. Buckskin seats and the darker Buckskin dash and carpet. The swivels have a cloth insert, do you think the SEM vinyl/carpet dye will work on the cloth?

Does anyone know who might have Buckskin paint that I can use on the column? It's not the beige, it's more of a medium brown shade.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:43 am

A paint store should be able to mix the color you need & put it in a rattle can for around $20.00.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:54 am

Medium Brown, might be "Saddle". Check your trim tag code on the cowl for the #.

Like John mentioned a good paint supply can do that for you and should be able to reference the code on the tag to get it right.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:18 am

I have the build sheet!! It was still under the front seat if you can believe it.
77 was buckskin and lt. buckskin, I think saddle was earlier...73-75?

We don't have a paint supply near here that I can find.

I think Automotive Touch Up has what I need, but I'd be blowing about thirty bucks if it's wrong.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:32 am

Check with TCP Global and see if they will mix aerosols. Maybe Eastwood, too?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:48 am

I checked eastwood. I think they have vinyl dye in the right color, but not paint. I thought about painting it with dye, the clear coating with paint, but don't know if either would stick.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:47 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Wally,
I'm getting ready to spray swivels and console. I've got the   Lt. Buckskin seats and the darker Buckskin dash and carpet. The swivels have a cloth insert, do you think the SEM vinyl/carpet dye will work on the cloth?

Does anyone know who might have Buckskin paint that I can use on the column? It's not the beige, it's more of a medium brown shade.

Yes you can use SEM paint on carpet also. You will need to wear a rubber glove and drag hand one direction as you spray the paint lightly and do small sections at a time. then rub or buff the carpet as it dries. Then go opposite direction if doing a color change. I have done this from tan to black and it held up. You have to rub it or like buff it tell its dry or it wil clump and mat up like a slip would do. Spary your carpet right over your hand as you go. Start where you cant see it first to get the hang of it.

Sem says its for carpet also. Summit sells it still. Get a few cans as it take a lot to do a color change
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next