G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strenghten rear control arm mounts??

2 posters

Go down

Strenghten rear control arm mounts?? Empty Strenghten rear control arm mounts??

Post by Joe73 Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Figure while I have some time, I'd like to see what kind of opinions everyone has on strengthening the rear control arm mounts on the chassis. By strengthening I mean "gusseting" the top mounting point of the lower control arm and the outboard side of the upper arm mounting points. Making the gussets and welding them in isnt really a problem because I have the equipment and the know how. But I'm figuring does the car really need it. I'm not going to road race it but the occasional "drag" will definitely occur. I've run this car at the track and on the street (shhhh) and never had a problem. I will still be running 50 series rear tires and usually dump the clutch at about 22-2500. I have all polyurethane in the front and back arms and competition engineering shocks front 80/20 rear 50/50. I ran ladder bars years ago but they were nothing but problems on the street due to the fact that the 73-77 ladder bars mount to the lower shock mounting bolt. Not like the 64-72 that mount to the rear lower control arm bolt. I do have a new in the box set of competition engineering "traction" bars for coil spring cars. But I dont think I will need them either. She hooks nicely the way she is. I dont thing I need to waste my time and effort with the extra work.

I have an excellent frame sitting here waiting for cooler weather to go to the blaster and then I'll paint it up. Which brings up my second question. What's everyone's opinion on chassis paints. I'm considering going with the Eastwood Ceramic paint. I'd like to go with something that doesnt need primer. I've always liked POR15 but want to try something else. I will be also doing all the spraying myself.

Yes, I will be taking pics to post up.

Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Strenghten rear control arm mounts?? Empty Re: Strenghten rear control arm mounts??

Post by 2fat2fly Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:01 pm

I've had big blocks in the same car for yrs. and with the addition of the lower control arms which have been on it quite some time. I also added the upper adjustable arms after putting in the quick perf. 9 inch, good set of adjustable shocks and have never had any problems at all. the car will make well over 1,000 hp and when it shifts you need to be ready to keep it somewhat straight,
I think the lower arms were southside out of jeg's
not sure on the frame but will be expecting pics
again this is just my 2 cents worth, good luck !!
2fat2fly
2fat2fly
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down