G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Compatible parts

+9
Mcarlo77
77mali
Hydro King
orange Juiced
novaderrik
Limey SE
IndyG3
coreys73chevelle
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
13 posters

Go down

Compatible parts Empty Compatible parts

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:24 pm

So I am restoring a '74 Malibu Classic, but want to customize the interior, specifically the dash. I'm still in the planning stages of what exactly I want to do and need to find out what years and makes would have compatible parts. I want to do round face gauges, but most places on the 'net just have rice burner compatible.
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Compatible parts Empty Re: Compatible parts

Post by coreys73chevelle Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:37 pm

if you sent your dash to dakota digital they will do it for you custom. i have no idea on the price but it is what i want so i can get round guages also.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm

the round gauge cluster form the same year monte's will work with our chevelle malibu's laguna's really makes a big difference you can also put the custom look in there by adding the after market round gauges in the original spots for the factory gauges with a little work very little and on here there is a topic to show which wires to switch to make it work for your application.

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:57 pm

I think if you want some round gauges you could also use a dash out of a laguna. Anyone correct me if that aint right.
You could also take out the dummy lights and the (if yours is like mine) fake paper clock insert (buncha cheapo GM jerks Laughing ) and replace them with gauges if you really want a custom look.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:01 pm

yes indy you got me bro i forgot some lagunas came with them my bad dude

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:06 pm

It's cool man.
I figured I'd be the wrong one!! Laughing
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:15 pm

no prob buddy thats what we are all here for
to help one another

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:58 pm

the whole interior from any 73-77 Chevelle, Malibu, Elcamino or Monte will fit. well, maybe not the whole interior- Monte's are different from the top of the doors up, and El Caminos don't have a back seat... ok, the dash, door panels, center console, and seats swap over. maybe even the A and B pillar trim, too.
personally, i like the Monte parts better- they just look a little more upscale compared to the Chevelle parts. but people will always ask you why the dash in your Chevelle says "Monte Carlo"..

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:27 am

Limey aka Maligoon wrote:the round gauge cluster form the same year monte's will work with our chevelle malibu's laguna's really makes a big difference you can also put the custom look in there by adding the after market round gauges in the original spots for the factory gauges with a little work very little and on here there is a topic to show which wires to switch to make it work for your application.

so if someone wanted to convert to the round gauges but wanted to go with the aftermarket ones right off the bat, besides the cluster housing, what else would they need from the donor car?
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:16 am

I already had told ya guys I had that planned out on my 73.
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:35 pm

I want to know if a dash from a 74 Olds cutlass will swap over. It has round gauges and round vents and i think it would look good. My dash is trashed and the wiring is not something you would want. I would of course try to remove the olds signs.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:51 pm

I've got one of each in my basement...could take some measurements and try and make some comparisons of both. Suppose with enough ingenuity and patience, anything is possible. Obviously, you'd want to grab the complete wiring harness and ducting from the Cutlass.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:54 pm

wokrdan AKA BU Balls wrote:So I am restoring a '74 Malibu Classic, but want to customize the interior, specifically the dash. I'm still in the planning stages of what exactly I want to do and need to find out what years and makes would have compatible parts. I want to do round face gauges, but most places on the 'net just have rice burner compatible.

If you want took look at after market:
Check out Stewart Warner...They are available at quality automotive suppliers (not usually the box stores). They kind of have a crappy web site but I think you can request a catalog for free. Depending on the look you're going for you may also want to check out Marshall Instruments- their site is awesome. Both of these company's have gauges that are complimentary to the "era".

http://www.stewartwarner.com/index1.html

http://www.marshallinstruments.com/index.cfm

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:04 pm

You have both in your basement nice. If you would that might save me some cash and a headache if its not possible. So i would need the complete wiring harness from the entire car? I was thinkn i would just need the fuse block and dash wires? I am hoping its an AC car i didnt get to spend alot of time going over the car was just thinkn i would snag the plastics but i realy like the dash in it and the more i think about it the more i want to do it. Something different.
Thanks Mcarlo77
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Here is a photo of the backsides of the Cutlass vs Monte Carlo dashes (Cutlass on the bottom, of course). Couple of observations...the overall length is about the same at around 59 1/2". However, the mtg bolt locations used to secure the dash to the car are not similar...not that a person couldn't probably improvise. Looks as though the upper defrost vents are in the same general location...but, whereas the Monte has two upper attaching screws on either side of each defrost vent, the Cutlass does not. Instead, it has four mtg tabs spread out evenly along that back edge. The lower dash mtg bolt tabs are completely different. Maybe have to cut or fabricate some brackets? Aside from that, I don't know what else to compare. Obviously, the underdash wiring harness will be completely different. Not sure if the two cars share the same heater box to avoid any clearance issues, either. About the only way you are going to know for sure what you'd be getting yourself into is to drag that dash home and hold it in place in your monte and see what's involved. If you have any other questions, give a shout.

Compatible parts Montev10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Here's another shot of the front of the two dashes for comparison.

Compatible parts Montev11
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks Mcarlo77 not quite what i was hoping for. I was hoping the mounting points would be the same. Atleast the length is similar. I am sure i could make it work i have seen a 73 el camino with 2006 GTO interior.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:04 pm

coreys73chevelle wrote:if you sent your dash to dakota digital they will do it for you custom. i have no idea on the price but it is what i want so i can get round guages also.

Got a quote from Dakota Digital for 1200 to convert the dash cluster in the guna to all digital....

Better start saving my pennies....
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:41 pm

wow, thats a bare bones 73 Monte dash! Who's is it? I'm sure thats worth something.

I've seen people custom fit nice aftermarket gauges into the stock dash bezels, and from pictures I had seen, it looked very cleanly done too. I'd like to do that eventually.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:33 pm

I had a '76 SS El Camino that had the round gauges..........

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down