G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation

+3
Joe73
texan01
1973 454 MONTE
7 posters

Go down

Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation Empty Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation

Post by 77mali Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:39 pm

What method do you use to stop the rotation of the crank in order to torque flywheel bolts, balancer bolt, etc...? I know of flywheel turning tools which also lock it up but no one rents them. Don't need or want any GM " J - whatever " specialty tools.

What are some good tricks for this?

Last edited by 77mali on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed Title Slightly)
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation Empty Re: Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:42 pm

I use a screwdriver at the flywheel
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation Empty Re: Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation

Post by texan01 Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:43 pm

I use a screwdriver stuck in the flexplate blocked against the block, otherwise someone with a prybar wedged against the teeth on the flywheel.

If the pan is off, a prybar wedged on a crank counterweight.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:45 pm

The flywheel tool that grabs the teeth on the ring gear, is available cheap at Harbor Freight, and it's also handy when turning the flex plate when bolting the torque converter on.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:50 pm

I looked @ harbor freight the other day- it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'll look again but I don't think they stock them @ the one near me.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:30 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648455-Flywheel-Turning-Tool/dp/B001CZJ4J0
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by davesr_7 Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:46 pm

get someone and have them turn the damper bolt with s breaker bar with a5/8 socket

davesr_7
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:37 pm

That's a good price from Amazon. Sometimes when in a Harbor Freight store, you have to ask where certain tools are etc...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:04 pm

Ha! & they look at you like Suspect "A what turner?"

I couldn't find one on Harbor Frt's website either.

What I might end up doing is using a pry-bar (actually a large nail puller tool) going to see if one end in the teeth & the other fastened to the floor w/ a small screw will work. I'll see if I can make it work the bar is 1/4" thick so it should hold good.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:55 pm

This is what I ended up doing- harmonic balancer & flywheel together.

Our friends @ Autozone rent this awesome balancer install kit (OEM P/N 27144)-

All you need extra is the two adjustable wrenches. The big one rests on the floor and the small one turns the nut to drive it in.
Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation Img_0028

Step 1
Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation Img_0029

Step 2
Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation Img_0030

Step 3
Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation Img_0031

Step 4- Turn baby turn. You know when your done because the engine stand will move slightly Very Happy
Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation Img_0032

This kit & the bigger wrench are also handy for torquing the flywheel. The crowbar & tie wire is for a little extra support to keep it as stationary as possible as 65 ft lbs will require a little bit of effort.
Stopping Crank Rotation for Flwheel & Balancer Installation Img_0033
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:56 pm

When we don't have all the special tools, we just do like you did ! Very Happy Figure out a way.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:09 pm

LOL...got that right. The big craftsman's wrench was $50 though but I've had it for a few years & bought it for some plumbing work. The best part is returning the kit to Autozone for a 100% refund Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:26 pm

ive always done the screwdriver through the flexplate and as far as converter bolts ive done the bf screw driver in the teeth or pry bar or even vise grips to turn it.vice grips can be used to hold it too
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:45 pm

In order to have all the tools you need to fool with cars, you would need more than one big tool box...ask me how I know......and throw in all the special aircraft tools....
The Snap-On tool salesmen all knew me by me first name when I was a full time aircraft tech & inspector.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down