G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aftermarket ot OEM gauges installation

3 posters

Go down

Aftermarket ot OEM gauges installation Empty Aftermarket ot OEM gauges installation

Post by Circuit Rider Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:35 am

Hi guys. As the Avatar says, I am a noob on A bodies. I am working on bringing back a 77 Monte Carlo. Overall the car is in very good condition. I bought it with no engine/tranny. Had a turbo 350 and found a nicely modified 305. The PO put in Autometer Speedometer and tach in the center section, and cut up the inside section (not the bezel) but left no gauges. I am unsure what other A body gauges will fit in this car (oem) or if I will have to go with aftermarket gauges. Are the guage openings 2" or 21/8" ? Any help you guys could give would be much appreciated. Will get to the point of post some pics in another thread in the near future. TIA Andy alien
Circuit Rider
Circuit Rider
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket ot OEM gauges installation Empty Re: Aftermarket ot OEM gauges installation

Post by Joe73 Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:58 am

Welcome.  2" gauges will work with a slight mod of the bezel.  I put some stewart warner gauges in a factory bezel back in the 80s.  Sold the bezel quite a while ago. Since you already have a speedo and tach, I think it would be cheaper to just put in aftermarket.

Aftermarket ot OEM gauges installation Dash_210

Aftermarket ot OEM gauges installation Dash_510
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket ot OEM gauges installation Empty Re: Aftermarket ot OEM gauges installation

Post by thatfnthing Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:35 am

If you want to go aftermarket, any 2 1/16" gauges will work in place of the indicator lamps, it's just a question of how much work you want to do. If you want them to look factory, you'll have to remove the trim rings and glass, and perform significant surgery on the inner plastic structure to make them fit. Then you'll be on the hook for wiring everything (though Painless makes a nice harness) because you won't be able to use the original printed circuit. The real trick IMO is finding an aftermarket speedo and tach that are the right size. I finally settled on VDO, as they had 4" units that fit better than the Auto Meter's (and others') 3 5/8" or 5" units.

Food for thought:

Aftermarket ot OEM gauges installation Dash310
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down