G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73 velle with opera windows.

+4
73 SS owner
pila
Brainstain
1973montec
8 posters

Go down

73 velle with opera windows. Empty 73 velle with opera windows.

Post by 1973montec Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 9:11

kinda looks like a hurst olds roof73 velle with opera windows. Pic00110
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

73 velle with opera windows. Empty Re: 73 velle with opera windows.

Post by Brainstain Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 10:01

I like those windows so much better than the big quarter windows.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 13:58

Nice looking Chevelle for sure !!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

73 velle with opera windows. Empty 73 Velle With Opera Windows

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 14:29

As I understand it, this was RPO option code AB8 where they installed an exterior patch panel over part of the triangular window. Here's a view of one from the inside with the sail panel trim removed:

73 velle with opera windows. 74mali12

Member "73 SS Owner" has one and we're trying to confirm whether or not this glass is the same size as the std colonade window. It seems like they aren't and I can't get out to the yards right now to confirm. Anyone know for sure?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 14:39

The "patch panel" is the way my '74 Malibu was built. They changed the in later years I believe ...??

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 73 SS owner Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 0:19

Sweet ride! Besides the color, that's what mine looks like! I am having a heck of a time finding the correct trim around the opera window and the trim for the landau top. Think I can borrow his? Smile

My window measures 7" at the bottom, 10" on the sides, and 5" at the top. Just a little smaller than other small opera windows of this generation. I have a set of new chrome trim that is about 1" larger all the way around, just won't fit. Soon as I get going fixing my photobucket pics, I'll show you guys some of my pics.

73 SS owner
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 10:31

From what I remember about the car that Chris posted, the owner himself did that. It started out as full windows like all 73s (should have). Dave is right about the patch panels for (early) 1974. They did the patch panels with early 1974 Malibu Classic, and regular Malibus had the large windows. Until they retooled to make the coach windowed bodies the RIGHT way...

In addition...look at the car Chris posted...coach windows MUCH smaller than factory coach windows.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 11:05

Interesting...as the first thing I did notice was that the bottom edge molding isn't exactly parallel to the upper qtr panel molding as the larger triangular windows were. Wonder what he used for the window molding, then?

I do find it very coincidental that "73 SS Owner" has found the same situation with his opera windows being smaller than std coach windows. I mean...what are the chances two different owners would custom fabricate smaller than normal coach windows and both would have had moldings to fit? Then, I've got to ask why someone would go to all that trouble in the first place? scratch
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 14:12

The craigslist cars windows look smaller than a regular Malibu style opera (@ the bottom by the fender. Maybe customized?)
73 velle with opera windows. P1000611

Here's a good shot of what they changed over to from the panel that covered the quarter glass.
73 velle with opera windows. P1000211

Steve- the shape of the window you posted looks very similar to what's in my car (77) & had a vinyl top when built (but not a Landau).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 15:02

I do believe the '74 window w/patch panel is very similar to the std coach windows used up to '77. Just not sure it's exactly the same. You can bet I've got it on my list of things to measure next trip out to the yards. Inquiring minds need to know!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 15:26

I have to re-tarp my car, I'll measure in the next day or two if you want. For the opera glass trim molding, I'm assuming the outside metal to metal dimensions are what's critical correct? Mine had the full vinyl top when it was built and I have my suspicions that those moldings are slightly different than a regular "hard top" roof car. Don't know for sure but there is still a bit of the vinyl top material under the glass in the openings- it was tucked under on my car, as it was also in the roof rail channels (as a result I think the stainless trim that goes in the roof rail assembly is slightly wider than a hard top also). When I get to my Louvers I'm going to have to remove the glass & sealant in order to remove the left over vinyl to seal/paint & install everything correctly.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 23:13

Yeah...if you could measure the window frame opening, I'm sure Ken (73 SS Owner) would appreciate knowing whether the new moldings he's got are designed for std coach windows. I've already confirmed they won't fit the '74 triangular windows w/patch panels.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon 24 Dec 2012 - 11:12

73 velle with opera windows. 77_mal12
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon 11 Aug 2014 - 13:00

Very interesting info.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down